Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sram Crankset question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Sram Crankset question

Old 08-04-20, 05:40 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Sram Crankset question

Yesterday a friend was visiting and riding his Trek Domane? and experienced a dropped chain. It was stuck between the small ring and the BB. So I was going to remove the drive side crank and free it up. Took my 8mm hex and removed the retaining bolt but was met with a problem. It appears that a much larger crank puller is required.
can anyone she'd a bit of light on this?
Thanks!
Old 08-04-20, 06:00 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Not sure. Could it be a self-extracting crank with the retaining ring missing? That fooled me the first time I saw it, but as I recall the puller threads fit the hole.
Old 08-04-20, 06:12 AM
Dancing Skeleton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Non-drive side crank comes off with a little wiggling, no puller needed.
Old 08-04-20, 07:03 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I guess this is a GXP crank. There should be a retainer threaded in the NDS crank so when you unscrew the bolt it bears against the retainer and forces it off the spindle (self extracting). When the NDS is off use a rubber mallet or even just your hand or block of wood / hammer to push the spindle in far enough to loosen the stuck chain. If the retainer is missing don't know an easy way to use a thread-in puller. https://www.jensonusa.com/SramTruvat...k-Bolt-en.aspx

scott s.
Old 08-05-20, 05:27 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
A bit more information is necessary. SRAM GXP cranksets have the drive side arm permanently mounted to the spindle and there is no bolt on that side. If there is a bolt on the drive side, it is probably an ISIS crankset and requires a different crank puller than a square taper. https://www.amazon.com/PARK-TOOL-CCP.../dp/B07CB7Q4FK