Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nifty Commuter/City Bike or crazy idea?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-20, 07:12 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 114 Posts

One my recent refurb assignments at our local co-op was a Kent manufactured GMC Envoy. This is the unpainted version of the Denali bike model. As usual for department store bikes, this had only been ridden a few and it suffered from poor build quality as well as inadequate assembly/adjustment. It only took a couple of hours and minimal parts to make it functional, safe and ready for the sales floor or the “Earn-a-Bike” program. I just did a couple mile test ride on it, but it felt stable. Just a little heavy and sluggish.

The cheap parts and weird setup was less than impressive, but I found the frame intriguing. It was kind of a half-arsed attempt at aero. Out of curiosity, I checked the weight, just over 27lbs. As an interesting winter project, I figured that I could trim about 5 pounds off of it with better components. I’d probably set it up with riser bars and trigger shifters as a 1X.

Any inputs as whether this would be a worth while project?

Thanks & regards,

Van

PS - Hope this is in the right place.
Old 10-10-20, 09:05 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
From a practical economic standpoint the project makes little sense. Why put time, effort and money into a cheap, poorly made base bike. However, as a fun winter project to see what you can accomplish, have at it. Consider it a learning experience and, who knows, you might end up with a quite decent ride.
Old 10-10-20, 09:37 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
I would much rather spend time and money working on another bike with an interesting frame. If you've made this thing safe, I would give it away to someone who needs a bike, even if they haven't earned it.
I actually gave away one of those (well, the yellow Denali version) under the same circumstances last year; someone was giving it away, I brought it home and made an effort at clean/lube/adjust and a bit of improve, and then stuck it by the sidewalk with a free sign on it. Also, are you sure about that 27 lb. measurement? These things are shocking boat anchors.

There are so many other project bikes out there where using better components will actually result in a better bike, and much more of your time will be spent learning & enjoying rather than cursing and fighting the creeping sensation that it isn't worth it.
Old 10-11-20, 06:04 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
In certain limited circumstances, It could be a worthy project. If budget is limited and access to used parts is readily available and time is available. If my choices were no bike and your refined Denali, I choose your refined Denali everyday of the week.

You are posting to a forum where most of us would have to begrudging admit we have become bike snobs (who doesn't like better quality) and prejudiced against these cheap low quality imports.

Higher quality used bicycles are readily available and affordable to almost all budgets. In most circumstances, NO, its not worth the time or money. But HEY its your call, have fun with no matter what anybody says.
Old 10-11-20, 10:36 AM
crn3371

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
I’d view upgrading that bike as putting lipstick on a pig😉. Much better off to give it as-is to someone who needs a bike.
Old 10-11-20, 11:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I'd have to question taking what appears to be a perfectly functional bike as is and changing all that. The only way I could justify it is if it is what I want to do for me and me alone. And I've done that a few times.

As for commuter or city bike, what are your criteria for what that is? Just moving a person rapidly from point A to B? Or is there cargo and comfort involved to varying degrees as well considerations for stop and go traffic?

Personally, I don't think a road bike fits that description. Though many that started off with a young adaptable body using a road bike with drop bars for big city commuting will probably disagree.
Old 10-11-20, 11:13 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
You had Fun and that is what Counts. Nice Photo.

Old 10-11-20, 09:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
That is the nicest GMC frame I have seen. I don't mean that in a great way because those things are crap-o-la. Yes I have seen people put Campy on their to raise up the dander but I wouldn't waste the time. If I need a one time or few time use bike maybe I might spruce it up in the cheapest way possible but honestly it might be better off just giving it to someone who has nothing at all but wants to work on this.
Old 10-12-20, 06:59 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
The great advantage of doing something on a bike like this is you will shed no tears if it does not work out. It is very well having something nicer to play around with, but while you are still going 'um' with the nicer bike you would already have the hacksaw and welder out for this - or whatever.

The second great advantage is that if you have thought your modification idea through, and it really is original, you can always replicate it on something with a bit more quality or, even better, someone can copy your idea on something better, and you will always know you did first because you were prepared to take the risk.
Old 10-12-20, 01:43 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
IMHO, find a cheap, decent quality vintage steel bike at the co-op (think bike boom nishiki, pansonic, centurion, univega, miyata) new bars like north road style, new brake levers like tectro city, riser stem and cheapy friction thumb shifterss......and you get a better ride and nice bike for around town use

Old 10-12-20, 04:48 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Put an ebike motor on that and go teach the lycra crowd some humility.
Likes For Pop N Wood: