Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Another thru axel question

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-25-20, 11:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

On many of the new bikes and trikes they have the thru axles. Can or how do you equip your bike to tow a trailer with them?
Old 10-25-20, 11:44 AM
shrimp123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
look at robert axle project....
Likes For shrimp123:
Old 10-25-20, 11:55 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
https://robertaxleproject.com/bob-trailers/
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-25-20, 12:47 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Very annoying that they won't offer a single thru-axle that handles a variety of trailer types.
Old 10-25-20, 03:43 PM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
I use a Burley Flatbed, and have been meaning to consider using it with my Kona Roadhouse. Just checked of the hitch would fit- it looks like it would only need to be clamped into a vice to be easily drilled out to a size that would work with the Kona’s ThruAxle.

I don’t enjoy riding that bike enough to do it, but it looks doable.

Are there recumbents with ThruAxles?
Old 10-27-20, 07:17 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Very annoying that they won't offer a single thru-axle that handles a variety of trailer types.
How many types are there? Most kid/pet/cargo trailers are NDS dropout. They have one for that. The 'hitch' comes as part of the trailer, not the axle, that changes from brand to brand.
The BOB is a yoke hitch on both ends of the axle. IT definitely requires a different axle than a single-sided hitch.
That's pretty much it for connection types.

If I don't plan on towing a BOB, why would I need all the extra pieces that aren't required on a single-sided hitch?
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 10-27-20, 09:06 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM
I use a Burley Flatbed, and have been meaning to consider using it with my Kona Roadhouse. Just checked of the hitch would fit- it looks like it would only need to be clamped into a vice to be easily drilled out to a size that would work with the Kona’s ThruAxle.

I don’t enjoy riding that bike enough to do it, but it looks doable.

Are there recumbents with ThruAxles?
I know of some trikes that have them.
Old 10-27-20, 09:01 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
How many types are there? Most kid/pet/cargo trailers are NDS dropout. They have one for that. The 'hitch' comes as part of the trailer, not the axle, that changes from brand to brand.
The BOB is a yoke hitch on both ends of the axle. IT definitely requires a different axle than a single-sided hitch.
That's pretty much it for connection types.
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. I want to buy one axle and be good for both of those types of trailer. It's annoying that they won't offer it.
Old 10-28-20, 07:27 AM
hsuBM
jj

Originally Posted by rydabent
I know of some trikes that have them.
Well, as a Machinist specializing in military and automotive structural components who has ruined quite a lot of bike stuff while riding, I’m confident after looking at the Robert Axle that, barring any metal defects or seriously abusive riding (which I’m prone to engage in), it looks like it would be fine for a trip from one coast to the other.

I’m curious if the trike frames would accommodate anything on the in-side of their thruaxle “dropouts” to even facilitate tugging a bob or two.

———

More relevant question for this thread- what HPV are you wanting to use and with what trailer?

———
Old 10-28-20, 07:34 AM
hsuBM
jj

Originally Posted by Nyah
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. I want to buy one axle and be good for both of those types of trailer. It's annoying that they won't offer it.
huh?

If you had an NDS hitch bolted under either a BOB QR skewer or BOB nuts on a solid axle it would make using either one a pain.

Do you actually do this?