Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXX

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXX

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-20, 04:44 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Sounds like 4th of July here with all the fireworks. I hope they don't have a riot downtown like they did after the Lakers won.
Sounds like a hurricane here with the wind, even though the weather claims 12mph. Tomorrow is due to be 15-25mph with higher gusts; I may stay on the trainer until Friday. The leaderboard looks rather sad at the moment.
Old 10-28-20, 04:47 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,859 Times in 3,154 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
But won't you wet the bed bike?
Yes, but with fresh water, which will dilute the sweat.

Next question...
Old 10-28-20, 05:03 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Waiting for some daylight before riding. Solo today, my friends all got scared by threat of wet roads.
Old 10-28-20, 05:56 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
datlas MoAlpha as our resident docs, have you ever dealt with DVT in cyclists? I got on the trainer last night and after a couple of minutes my left calf felt painful, swollen, and rock hard as if it was full of fluid. Felt like a cramp possibly or some sort of muscle strain, but when I described the symptoms to my PCP (also a competitive cyclist) he immediately told me he was scheduling me for an ultrasound to rule out DVT. I know the risk factors are much higher for sedentary, overweight individuals but I'm wondering if my Covid may have increased the chances that I'd develop a clot in my leg. If the diagnostics show I do actually have a clot and I have to go on blood thinners, can I continue to train lightly or should I expect some significant time off the bike?

After 10 years of virtually no health issues and no constraints on my riding other than life and saddle sores, this last month has been absolute hell for my psyche.
Old 10-28-20, 06:00 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Have fun, datlas .

I’m burned out. Big numbers, bad sleep, sore tongue, time to lighten up briefly. I will only be doing my short commute today and I’m looking forward to remnants of Zeta tomorrow. Also have to rebuild the woodpile after work and before the rain so LSS can have a nice fire this chilly weekend.
Old 10-28-20, 06:07 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
datlas MoAlpha as our resident docs, have you ever dealt with DVT in cyclists? I got on the trainer last night and after a couple of minutes my left calf felt painful, swollen, and rock hard as if it was full of fluid. Felt like a cramp possibly or some sort of muscle strain, but when I described the symptoms to my PCP (also a competitive cyclist) he immediately told me he was scheduling me for an ultrasound to rule out DVT. I know the risk factors are much higher for sedentary, overweight individuals but I'm wondering if my Covid may have increased the chances that I'd develop a clot in my leg. If the diagnostics show I do actually have a clot and I have to go on blood thinners, can I continue to train lightly or should I expect some significant time off the bike?

After 10 years of virtually no health issues and no constraints on my riding other than life and saddle sores, this last month has been absolute hell for my psyche.
Oh, Dan! You poor bastard. DVT is a definite thing in COVID-19! @datlas is the man to answer your question, but my guess is exercise is out and heat and elevation are in until flow is restored and the inflammation is down. So sorry to hear!

Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-28-20, 06:17 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Hey DougRNS , you been by to see the new Outkast mural in Little 5 Points yet?

♫ch ch ch cha changes♫
https://www.bikeforums.net/21048214-post1427.html
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 10-28-20, 07:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
My friend saw this handsome guy in her yard today. Philly has a lot of wildlife running around.

Old 10-28-20, 08:04 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts

Damn, bro - you can't catch a break. Take care of yourself.
Old 10-28-20, 08:11 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I really don't get that damn thing. Fan should be full-strength, all the time, as many as possible.
Schwinn Air Dyne for the win

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 10-28-20, 08:35 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
Felt rebellious today. Entered the jamestown island 7 minutes early. Don’t tell anyone.

Sorry to hear that Dan, hope it gets better soon.
Old 10-28-20, 08:42 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Damn, bro - you can't catch a break. Take care of yourself.
I mean just in these past 2 days my grandma also passed and my (separated) wife's father had a massive heart attack, so it's been a lot to deal with on top of having to take unpaid leave from work because of Covid. 2020 is not my favorite year.
Likes For Dan333SP:
Old 10-28-20, 08:51 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I mean just in these past 2 days my grandma also passed and my (separated) wife's father had a massive heart attack, so it's been a lot to deal with on top of having to take unpaid leave from work because of Covid. 2020 is not my favorite year.
Very serious stuff! Please take care of yourself and seek help when you need it. We are not built to cope with stress like this alone. This place is no substitute for real, personal, support, but no one here is going to get tired of hearing how you're doing.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 10-28-20 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-28-20, 08:53 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts

You certainly have my sympathy -- been there (DVT in calf)/done that. Not pleasant at all.

Obviously defer to your medical people/folks like @MoAlpha and @datlas, but fwiw once the initial danger was past, the clot under control, and the pain subsiding I was cleared by haematologist to resume cycling -- relatively gently at first. Took about 2-3 weeks iirc. That was in the spring of '18. I pretty much lost that riding season anyway as a result of another condition that surfaced at the same time, but the DVT alone would have been manageable. Best of luck!
Old 10-28-20, 09:15 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28610 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Obviously defer to your medical people/folks like @MoAlpha and @datlas, but fwiw once the initial danger was past, the clot under control, and the pain subsiding
Where/what kind of pain does it cause?
Old 10-28-20, 09:18 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

I hope it's just a ruptured Baker's cyst, but DVT/clot is very possible. If so, you would most likely go on blood thinners for several months. It would probably not be forever. You would probably be able to continue to ride but maybe drop it back a notch. There are several nuances such as whether the clot is above or below the knee, and whether they blame this on COVID19, which would affect treatment and duration.
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-28-20, 09:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Have fun, datlas .

I’m burned out. Big numbers, bad sleep, sore tongue, time to lighten up briefly. I will only be doing my short commute today and I’m looking forward to remnants of Zeta tomorrow. Also have to rebuild the woodpile after work and before the rain so LSS can have a nice fire this chilly weekend.
Ride was supposed to be fun. It was not as much fun as I had hoped. The weather looked like just some mist, but it was more like drizzle and the combination of wet roads and drizzle meant that I eventually got quite wet. It took about 1 hour for my feet to get wet, and it was all misery from then on. I was able to avoid hypothermia because it was not too cold out, but I considered making the call of shame several times. I took it easy on the downhills to minimize cooling and kept it slow and steady....was able to make it home ok.

It still beats work, but this time not by much.
Old 10-28-20, 09:29 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by datlas
Ride was supposed to be fun. It was not as much fun as I had hoped. The weather looked like just some mist, but it was more like drizzle and the combination of wet roads and drizzle meant that I eventually got quite wet. It took about 1 hour for my feet to get wet, and it was all misery from then on. I was able to avoid hypothermia because it was not too cold out, but I considered making the call of shame several times. I took it easy on the downhills to minimize cooling and kept it slow and steady....was able to make it home ok.

It still beats work, but this time not by much.
I would take a mediocre day at work over that experience.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-28-20, 09:44 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Cold wet fingers plus damp iPhone renders touchscreen utterly useless. I wanted to take a pic mid-ride. After fumbling for a few minutes I was able, with some help from Siri.
Old 10-28-20, 09:46 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Riding in the rain is dumb.
Old 10-28-20, 09:46 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Sounds like a hurricane here with the wind, even though the weather claims 12mph. Tomorrow is due to be 15-25mph with higher gusts; I may stay on the trainer until Friday. The leaderboard looks rather sad at the moment.
We have rain/snow, high winds and temps in the low 30s through the weekend. Was really hoping for a decent weekend ride but it’s looking unlikely.
Old 10-28-20, 09:47 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by datlas
I hope it's just a ruptured Baker's cyst, but DVT/clot is very possible. If so, you would most likely go on blood thinners for several months. It would probably not be forever. You would probably be able to continue to ride but maybe drop it back a notch. There are several nuances such as whether the clot is above or below the knee, and whether they blame this on COVID19, which would affect treatment and duration.
Hmmm... would I have felt a baker's cyst before a rupture? I never had any sort of lump or pain on the back of my knee prior to these symptoms.
Old 10-28-20, 09:49 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Strava says Trsnrtr is riding in the Volunteer State but not in the proper part.

Missed opportunity.
Old 10-28-20, 09:51 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Where/what kind of pain does it cause?
Not sure what @badger1 experienced, but for me I had relatively sudden onset. I woke up with what felt like a charlie horse in my left calf, but I stretched and wrote it off as sleeping on it funny. I ended up hopping on the trainer after work yesterday and within a minute or two my left calf felt as if it were cramping, and after touching it it became clear it was swollen and hard. I looked at it in the mirror and it was reddish and visibly larger than my other calf. I rested overnight and it felt ok this morning but of course I tried riding again and it became immediately swollen and quite painful, so I've been icing it since.

I sincerely hope it's some sort of muscle issue rather than DVT, but you never know.
Old 10-28-20, 10:07 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Hmmm... would I have felt a baker's cyst before a rupture? I never had any sort of lump or pain on the back of my knee prior to these symptoms.
Maybe. Get the ultrasound as DVT is very possible. You are getting it today, yes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.