Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Electronic Shifting - What's the Point?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Electronic Shifting - What's the Point?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-20, 12:31 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
Have never experienced it. And I mostly use Teflon coated cables from aliexpress... So probably not the highest quality.

In any case, no cable is going to keep stretching forever.

My old mountain bike didn't need an adjust in the last 5 years. My current one hasn't been adjusted since May, when I bought it. My road bike has been 2 years without adjusting anything.

My urban bike shifts like crap though. I'll admit that. Cables are 20 years old. Never been changed, almost never adjusted.

It's possible that lots of people are unable to set up a derailleur properly. And in my experience, that includes lots of mechanics from bike shops. That's why I learned to do it myself.
You must have some magic mojo there! I think cable stretch has become more of an issue with the addition of more gears and narrower spacing between cogs. I switched to mechanical Chorus 12-speed this year, and while the shifting is really fast and precise, I've had to adjust the cables a few times already in the first 4 months (one "real" adjustment using tools and pulling the cable tighter after 1000 miles, and a couple of stops to turn the barrel adjuster on the RD). I don't mind it, but I could see being annoyed if I missed a shift in a race because of it. But I haven't raced in ages anyway, so I don't care.
Old 10-28-20, 12:37 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
I didn't think there was a major need for electronic when I got my Wilier with Sram Red eTap - it was nice, sure, but I never really thought it an essential upgrade and accepted it as being a part of the bike I wanted but would have happily accepted mechanical on the same deal.
Then I bought my Madone with Ultegra mechanical and now I'm looking forward to upgrading to the next Dura Ace Di2 when it is eventually released. The reason is that while for general riding I'm still perfectly happy with mechanical, I absolutely prefer electronic shifting for racing.

When racing I like sprint buttons on the drops, I like that a touch on the levers shifts the gear and holding it shifts several gears. It is just better/faster when I want to shift not having to make the larger hand movement mech demands vs touch. I couldn't give a stuff about 'purist' concerns when I am racing - just as I went from 22 years driving manual cars to PDK (and equivalent) and not looking back; I like the faster gear change and I'm not interested in how fast I can do it manually vs electronic when it can never be matched. I will always opt for the faster version.
I hate to admit it, but this is spot on. Everyone runs PDK now, but the advantage is partially the fact that the gears are constantly engaged (IE shift much, much faster than any human) but also....and even more because the car does not fall out of boost. Without turbos, are the electronic (bike) shifters really that much faster?
Old 10-28-20, 12:53 PM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog
I hate to admit it, but this is spot on. Everyone runs PDK now, but the advantage is partially the fact that the gears are constantly engaged (IE shift much, much faster than any human) but also....and even more because the car does not fall out of boost. Without turbos, are the electronic (bike) shifters really that much faster?
For me, they are, but not when I'm training generally, of course, but the scenario that I prefer them most is this: I am in the drops, I am out of the saddle, sprint is winding up, I want to change gears and possibly more than once...my fingers have to make a significant albeit do-able stretch to do that or I have to move my hands to the hoods whereas if I only have to press a button or touch a lever...quicker, easier.

Someone with longer fingers, larger hands may not find that to be as much of an advantage as I do, naturally, so it depends upon the person but certainly in my case, electronic shifting is just better when I'm wanting a faster change.

Every time I ride my Wilier I find myself preferring the electronic shifting but this is mostly when I'm in the drops. On the tops, hoods, it isn't as great a difference to me but still nice.
Old 10-28-20, 12:56 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
But like you said, to each his own. I am a Dinosauer. At 58 (started riding at 5) the bike world is very, very different from what it used to be. 40 years ago most bike discussions were about the engine. You would spend an hour talking about how to get more from your engine (IE your body) and maybe 5 minutes arguing about which was better, Shimano or Campy. Today it is the reverse. Today, show up for a group ride and half the people are fat and they are riding an $8k bike. And good lord...these fatties are wet nursed along, because the shop ruiing the group ride knows who butters their bread. I can't recall one single fat cyclist from back in the day. You got dropped, you were on your own. All the bikers were hard as hell.
Never witnessed a power meter/training convo, eh? Funny. Also, you evidently go to the wrong group rides.

Oh, and if you're going to complain about the fatties, talk to your peers and your parent's generation about all of the pre-package bull**** "food" that they birthed in to the world.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-28-20, 12:57 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
For me, they are, but not when I'm training generally, of course, but the scenario that I prefer them most is this: I am in the drops, I am out of the saddle, sprint is winding up, I want to change gears and possibly more than once...my fingers have to make a significant albeit do-able stretch to do that or I have to move my hands to the hoods whereas if I only have to press a button or touch a lever...quicker, easier.

Someone with longer fingers, larger hands may not find that to be as much of an advantage as I do, naturally, so it depends upon the person but certainly in my case, electronic shifting is just better when I'm wanting a faster change.

Every time I ride my Wilier I find myself preferring the electronic shifting but this is mostly when I'm in the drops. On the tops, hoods, it isn't as great a difference to me but still nice.

This makes lots of sense....maybe I will put an e shifting bike on my bucket list.
Old 10-28-20, 01:08 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Never witnessed a power meter/training convo, eh? Funny. Also, you evidently go to the wrong group rides.

Oh, and if you're going to complain about the fatties, talk to your peers and your parent's generation about all of the pre-package bull**** "food" that they birthed in to the world.
I am a strength and conditioning coach and competitive bodybuilder. Getting people to eat right is pulling teeth. My son is a very talented football and wrestler and I can't even get him to eat right.

My exposure to road biking was long, long ago. I came from a BMX background and was a successful messenger. I got a job at a bike shop, and the head mechanic was an alternate on the Olympic team. Those were the guys I rode with, and they were animals. I was a very successful messenger, the fastest in the city (San Francisco). I got into road biking (after more than 20 years of riding) because I wanted to improve my overall skill set. When I started riding with the road crew (mostly cat 1-3 guys) I was the slowest. The group rides I have been on....sorry, these guys/gals wouldn't last 2 seconds.
Old 10-28-20, 03:49 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

Pre-Powerbars.. good stuff!
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-28-20, 03:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I haven't had a lemon pie in 40 years... That's about the same time i stopped smoking pot.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-28-20, 04:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
WARNING, INCOMING RANT!

But like you said, to each his own. I am a Dinosauer. At 58 (started riding at 5) the bike world is very, very different from what it used to be. 40 years ago most bike discussions were about the engine. You would spend an hour talking about how to get more from your engine (IE your body) and maybe 5 minutes arguing about which was better, Shimano or Campy. Today it is the reverse. Today, show up for a group ride and half the people are fat and they are riding an $8k bike. And good lord...these fatties are wet nursed along, because the shop ruiing the group ride knows who butters their bread. I can't recall one single fat cyclist from back in the day. You got dropped, you were on your own. All the bikers were hard as hell.

End rant
What, all of them on the one bike?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-28-20, 04:32 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
If you're looking for calories per dollar, that's a good place to start. I used to love those as a yute, but couldn't finish one when I revisited them as an adult - such a sugarbomb.
Old 10-28-20, 05:19 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

as a yute,
Who was the other one?
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-28-20, 06:03 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 1,004 Posts
man I loved the cherry version of these as a kid. Mom would never let me have one, so when I started making money mowing lawns...boom, cherry pie time.

Old 10-28-20, 06:04 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
It's funny that @RadDog draws the line at electric shifting on a bicycle, yet drives a pretty high tech car.
Old 10-28-20, 06:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
They fit well in a jersey pocket.
Old 10-28-20, 06:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by noodle soup
It's funny that @RadDog draws the line at electric shifting on a bicycle, yet drives a pretty high tech car.
It's not high tech... it's rear wheel drive and doesn't have traction control. Sort of like my 74 VW Beetle.
Old 10-28-20, 06:27 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Very interesting. Any chance you can post a picture of your hand positions?
I probably could, but let me try to describe them with words first and then you can let me know whether any of them don't make sense or require further elaboration:

1 - on the hoods
2 - slightly behind "on the hoods" close to where the bars bend forward
3 - on the horns, aka up on the vertical portion of the levers
4 - deep in the crooks, aka the forward-most position you can be in when in the drops before the levers get in the way
5 - in the drops just where the bar starts to curve towards the horizontal
6 - at the end of the drops, right by the bar-end plugs
7 - on the tops just on either side the stem

From any of those positions with the exception of #7 , with eTap it is very easy to instantiate a shift, up, down, cassette or chainrings.
Compare that to Campy: only 1, 4, and 5 are within reach of the shift mechanisms. [edit: And arguably the thumb lever isn't really accessible from position #5 unless you have enormous hands.]
Shimano fares just slightly better, in that in addition to 1, 4, and 5 you can also upshift in back or downshift in front -- but not vice-versa -- with your pinky from position #3

Last edited by Bob Ross; 10-28-20 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-28-20, 06:32 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
It's not high tech... it's rear wheel drive and doesn't have traction control. Sort of like my 74 VW Beetle.
Only one of you two believes that, and you are probably joking.
Old 10-28-20, 08:24 PM
RadDog
Banned.

This was the last time I ran her. I actually promised the cop I would sell her, and I did. And yes, I was fat back then:
Old 10-28-20, 10:45 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Don’t F-1 race cars use electronic shifting? I have heard that to get hired to drive in F-1 you will need to be one of the best drivers in the world. This connection that electronic equals lack of skill doesn’t seem to hold water.
Old 10-29-20, 03:03 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Why is everybody comparing dual clutch transmissions to electronic shifting in bicycles?

Dual clutch has a couple of advantages:
1. It shifts faster than you can with a manual, and doesn't loose power when doing so, as there isn't a moment with no gear engaged.
2. It avoids the driver having to shift constantly and use a clutch, which many people like (others don't).

Meanwhile, with electronic shifting on bikes:
1. The gears shift exactly the same way as with a mechanical derailleur, with the derailleur derailing the chain from one sprocket to another.
2. You still have to press buttons/levers to do that.

The only advantage I can find to electronic shifter is that it allows you to shift from multiple places (aero bars, drops, etc...) and that, if you're the type of person who can't use both hands at the same time, it has Synchro-Shift (which IMHO is useless, as I don't always want to compensate or do the same amount of compensation).

Finally, getting back to the dual clutch: I have a Skoda with a DSG at home and I still don't trust it reliability-wise. It's an exercise in unnecessary complexity. I'm quite sure my Toyota HSD, which is the opposite (an exercise in simplicity) is going to be way more reliable long-term and is also more comfortable for real-life™ use, with traffic lights and roundabouts, instead of driving like you stole the car on a twisty road, which is where the DSG excels.

Electronic shift on bikes, meanwhile, is an excercise in complexity that doesn't excel anywhere.

Last edited by Amt0571; 10-29-20 at 03:07 AM.
Old 10-29-20, 04:28 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
The group rides I have been on....sorry, these guys/gals wouldn't last 2 seconds.
Why is this a problem? Should it be impossible for people to participate a sport if they are bellow a certain level of fitness?
Old 10-29-20, 06:21 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6936 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Why is everybody comparing dual clutch transmissions to electronic shifting in bicycles?

1. It shifts faster than you can with a manual, and doesn't loose power when doing so, as there isn't a moment with no gear engaged.
2. It avoids the driver having to shift constantly and use a clutch, which many people like (others don't).

1. The gears shift exactly the same way as with a mechanical derailleur, with the derailleur derailing the chain from one sprocket to another.

The only advantage I can find to electronic shifter is that it allows you to shift from multiple places (aero bars, drops, etc...) and that, if you're the type of person who can't use both hands at the same time, it has Synchro-Shift (which IMHO is useless, as I don't always want to compensate or do the same amount of compensation).

Finally, getting back to the dual clutch: I have a Skoda with a DSG at home and I still don't trust it reliability-wise. It's an exercise in unnecessary complexity. I'm quite sure my Toyota HSD, which is the opposite (an exercise in simplicity) is going to be way more reliable long-term and is also more comfortable for real-life™ use, with traffic lights and roundabouts, instead of driving like you stole the car on a twisty road, which is where the DSG excels.

Electronic shift on bikes, meanwhile, is an excercise in complexity that doesn't excel anywhere.
It's pretty obvious that you have never used, nor even closely examined, an electronic drivetrain.

Given that you don't really understand it, it seems odd that you are so invested in getting others to eschew it, too.
Old 10-29-20, 06:26 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
It's pretty obvious that you have never used, nor even closely examined, an electronic drivetrain.

Given that you don't really understand it, it seems odd that you are so invested in getting others to eschew it, too.
Never. Ever. You know better than myself.
Old 10-29-20, 10:09 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts

Originally Posted by Koyote

Yep, so many people with strong opinions speak from a true position of ignorance.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-29-20, 12:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yep, so many people with strong opinions speak from a true position of ignorance.
Easier to hold a strong opinion if it's unsullied by experience.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.