Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Threading a threadless steerer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-19, 12:42 PM
tommymc

Bikes: Many, mostly old & low tech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts

Hi folks,

I have a 26" wheel travel bike (retro fitted with S & S couplers) that was built with 1" threadless fork. I fly it to many 3rd world places and plan a SE Asia tour early next year. My concern is for the replacement of 1" parts - fork, headset and stem itself. These items are not common in the US and probably nonexistent in most other places. In reality such problems are not beyond reality. I've already discovered a lost head bearing on arriving in Salvador after TSA's mucking in my S & S case. It's pathetic that clear covers are sold for bike cases to keep the morons from tearing apart your baggage.

My thought is to cut threads onto my 1"fork steerer and refit an old tech headset and quill stem. I can mic. the OD and ID on the steerer and find a shop with an old tool set. I guess my question is if there is enough thickness in the threadless tube to cut threads. If not feasible I'll try to find an old MTB fork, hopefully with mid-fork attachments.

Another minor issue is that the threadless fork is more difficult to pack due to the extra steerer length (built for a tall frame). It only fits into the case diagonally across the corners. A cut-down threaded fork would help packing.

Then, other than a 10-speed drivetrain, I would have a fairly compatible bike for anywhere in the world.

Thanks,
Tom McCann
Old 11-08-19, 01:03 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,255 Times in 662 Posts
Tom, I would not do this ! You can of course shorten the steerer on your current fork and use a different stem t approximate the bar position, but remember if you go to a threaded steerer then you're going to need to carry 32mm headset wrenches to install and remove the fork !

If the existing fork fails, then sure, you can find a replacement with a threaded steerer but I would not try to thread your existing one.

Your bike, your choice. but that's my comment

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 11-08-19, 03:00 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
It can be done, however getting them started correctly on the steerer is a major concern. The standard shop tools for chasing or adding threads to a threaded steerer will not do the job correctly. You will need to go to a frame builder with the correct tools to thread a bare steerer.

No doubt this will give you worldwide compatibility for parts and even a replacement fork.
Old 11-08-19, 09:42 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by tommymc
I've already discovered a lost head bearing on arriving in Salvador after TSA's mucking in my S & S case.
Did TSA disassemble the fork/headset and did you lose individual balls or did you lose one of the bearing retainers? It might be cheaper and easier if you just packed spare retainers or balls against the chance of this occurring again.
Old 11-09-19, 07:02 AM
tommymc

Bikes: Many, mostly old & low tech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
It was a Cane Creek cartridge that must have dropped out of the head tube. Fortunately, the top and bottom sets were identical and I completed the two week ride on the bottom only. A new headset replaced everything when I got back. Since then I loop a long cable tie through the head so nothing can go astray.