Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

seat post clamp help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

seat post clamp help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 10:05 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
seat post clamp help

I have an old hard tail mountain bike with a 27.2mm dia seatpost. I want to add another clamp above the seatpost clamp for extra clamping to help keep it from sliding down. All I want is a clamp with 27.2mm inside diameter. Nothing else. I find a ton of them with I.D. for clamping around the seat tube, for example 31.8mm ID. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to find a clamp with 27.2MM I.D. but I can't find one.
Old 10-21-20, 11:01 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Sorry if this is a weird question, but -
do you want that extra clamp-above-the-clamp there to REALLY prevent the seatpost from sliding down, [like, because the lower, "real" clamp at the top of the seat tube is not keeping the post up] ...
or just for a bit of extra convenience [say, to prevent the post from sliding down annoyingly when you loosen the main clamp, or when you're putting the post/seat back in] ?

Cause if it's the former, I'd just figure out why the post/original clamp are not keeping things in place, and if the latter, I'd use the mounting ring for a light or reflector to do that.
Old 10-21-20, 11:04 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by frogman
I have an old hard tail mountain bike with a 27.2mm dia seatpost. I want to add another clamp above the seatpost clamp for extra clamping to help keep it from sliding down. All I want is a clamp with 27.2mm inside diameter. Nothing else. I find a ton of them with I.D. for clamping around the seat tube, for example 31.8mm ID. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to find a clamp with 27.2MM I.D. but I can't find one.

I think I have found an easy solution. I didn't know there were twin seat psot clamps avaiabe. I found one with the bottom half that clamps on to 31.8 and the top half clamps to 27.2. Problem solved.
Old 10-21-20, 11:06 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
as you’ve discovered, seatpost clamps are sized to accommodate the seat tube in addition to the seatpost. Maybe look for a clamp designed for a 25.4mm seatpost. Of course, if you simply want to prevent the seatpost from slipping down, and your current clamp is preventing rotation, might a simple (albeit ugly) hose clamp around the seatpost do the job?
Old 10-21-20, 11:33 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by Litespud
as you’ve discovered, seatpost clamps are sized to accommodate the seat tube in addition to the seatpost. Maybe look for a clamp designed for a 25.4mm seatpost. Of course, if you simply want to prevent the seatpost from slipping down, and your current clamp is preventing rotation, might a simple (albeit ugly) hose clamp around the seatpost do the job?
Actually I am using a hose clamp now. And yes it is an ugly solution The bike is an old beater I use to run to the store a couple of blocks away. I don't do much for it like I do my road bikes, it's too crappy for someone to steal so it makes a good store runner. Don't want to invest too much for the clamp. The one I found was $40 plus shipping. Maybe I will just forget about it. The hose clamp works it just looks dorky
Old 10-22-20, 05:34 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Dorky is good. Dorky is secure. Dorky is cool.

Old 10-22-20, 07:47 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
Dorky is good. Dorky is secure. Dorky is cool.

Dorky is also another theft preventative.
Old 10-22-20, 08:12 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I used a hose clamp for two years until my bike needed a drive train replacement. Lbs changed it out for a regular seat post clamp, without even asking me!. The nerve!