Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1976 Raleigh Super Course

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1976 Raleigh Super Course

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-20, 10:31 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
I've sort-of changed cranksets on both of them. When I first acquired and rebuilt the Mk II 18 years ago, I put on a Nervar Star alloy crankset and put the steel arm/alloy chainring Nervar Sport aside in my parts box. I got the Mk I just last November as a box of parts for $50 and the box contained a beat-up Shimano alloy crankset. I wanted to assemble the Mk I with French components as Super Courses were built that way until at least 1976, so I installed the Nervar Sport that had originally arrived with my MkII. The chrome finish of the crank arms goes well with the chrome finish of the Huret derailleurs and levers I used. In '73 the crankset would have been cottered but the cotterless Nervar Sport is close enough for me and eases maintenance since I don't have a proper cotter press. Here is a photo of the Mk I from before I changed to all-rounder bars and added a front rack.
Old 10-28-20, 10:25 AM
leecycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jimijames
Oh hey! That could be amazing! Is there anything you need that I could find in my small stash? I'm in BC
I will send you a picture of the Normandy hub when I find it via PM.
Old 10-28-20, 04:28 PM
jimijames

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by leecycle
I will send you a picture of the Normandy hub when I find it via PM.
Thank you! I got the message, but still can't see it, have few messages left to be able to see PMs and post pictures of my SC sorry for the offtopic
Old 01-24-21, 12:17 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Got around to rebuilding this one. The front rim was dented so I ended up borrowing a set of Campagnolo tipo hubs with Wolber Super Champion rims. They are in beautiful condition and butter smooth. Otherwise the bike went together stock with new consumables.

Old 01-24-21, 01:52 PM
daka

That is PRETTY!
Old 01-25-21, 07:44 AM
Narhay

Thanks. Here are some more photos. I took it for a test down the road and it was flawless. Pretty happy when a bike is built in the stand and works how you expect. It does show its age and it was definitely not perfect when I got it but I think it did alright.

Likes For Narhay:
Old 01-25-21, 01:15 PM
daka

The paint and chrome are in such good shape for a 45 year old bike. A lucky find and nice restoration! Perhaps the previous owner bent the rim early in the bike's life and didn't get around to having it fixed. The bike may have enjoyed a life of leisure tucked away in the corner of a garage.......
Old 01-25-21, 03:15 PM
Narhay

Originally Posted by daka
The paint and chrome are in such good shape for a 45 year old bike. A lucky find and nice restoration! Perhaps the previous owner bent the rim early in the bike's life and didn't get around to having it fixed. The bike may have enjoyed a life of leisure tucked away in the corner of a garage.......
It has some rough bits for sure but it did clean up after a lot of elbow grease. The chrome was all milky and had some rust spots.

Old 01-25-21, 05:33 PM
Dr Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
Got around to rebuilding this one. The front rim was dented so I ended up borrowing a set of Campagnolo tipo hubs with Wolber Super Champion rims. They are in beautiful condition and butter smooth. Otherwise the bike went together stock with new consumables.

Nice and clean i was looking for this color sc mk2
Old 01-25-21, 09:40 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Those lugs look like the same from the Gazelle made Grand Prix models. My ‘75 Mk II has Prugnat 62 lugs. They seem to be not as long as the D version, but longer than the S version. The Raleigh branded SR cranks and Suntour mechs seem like they from ‘77, though. My crankset was a chainguard included, Stronglight 93 and Huret Challenger DRs. The paint looks pretty amazing! Almost like the grime in the before pics actually protected it.
Old 02-05-21, 07:52 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
Perfect thread for me. I am getting ready to tear this one down and restore it. This is going to take a full repaint because of so many scratches and chips in the paint. Thank you for the great pictures. I am going to use it for a guide for decals and details. Beautiful bike Narhay.