Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

stop me from buying a windsor fens! aka what else can I get for $699?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 06:28 AM
dinobyte
I'm a roadrunner baby

Bikes: I HAVE 13 BIKES and two of them are cool

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I'm looking for a road bike to train on and really put some miles down. It'll be my first bike used for that purpose. Other $699 bikes from other brands have poor components yadda yadda etc. I've had bikes with sora levers and I didn't like them very much. Seems like the parts alone on the fens more than pay for itself.

I've had a bikes direct bike before (cyclocross) and it was fine until it was stolen. I now have a inexpensive steel mtn commuter/pub bike and I don't plan on parking my road bike anywhere, just riding it. I don't really have anything against BikesDirect but something tells me I think I'll regret buying another bike from them. I really like campy shifters and steel frames but I kind of view the fens as exercise equipment rather than a statement of style and beauty.

What else can I get or build within a couple weeks for around $699 that is roughly equivalent? I can't wait forever to pick and choose good deals on random parts. I've tracked how much 105 gear sells for on ebay and it would still be cheaper and easier to buy the fens. I can assemble a bike from all it's parts if need be. Used is fine, but has to function equally as good as new 105 or there's no point.

I'd love to hear anything anyone had to say.
Old 11-27-12, 06:40 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Looking for options isn't a bad thing at all, but a Windor Fens doesn't sound like a bad choice for you at all.
Old 11-27-12, 07:00 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hookers and blow?
Old 11-27-12, 07:46 AM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
The most money I have wasted on cycling was when I bought something cheap that I then wanted to replace in a short time. I would take some time till you have enough money to buy a decent bike that you can ride for the next 10 years.
Old 11-27-12, 09:08 AM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Here, my friend is where I would take my money

Tiagra/105 mix for $750
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/fr...ike-32174.html

You can thank me later
Old 11-27-12, 09:18 AM
Genaro

Originally Posted by Genaro

Tiagra/105 mix for $750

You can thank me later
Correction. Tiagra complete bike, not Tiagra/105 mix
Still a really nice frame and good components. Not 105, but also not Sora.
Old 11-27-12, 03:46 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cannondale-R...item2325a715ae

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Cannond...item3f1f6001ea

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...omp20_gold.htm

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._legacy_xi.htm

https://bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/knight_x.htm

My Fens.

Old 11-27-12, 04:15 PM
dinobyte
I'm a roadrunner baby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
The most money I have wasted on cycling was when I bought something cheap that I then wanted to replace in a short time. I would take some time till you have enough money to buy a decent bike that you can ride for the next 10 years.
I would not be adverse to stripping the fens and putting it's best parts on "the perfect frame" when I find it.
The Fens, aside from having a few crap bargain bin parts, just doesn't feel special or unique to me, but I think I will enjoy the upgrade path as time goes on and the rebuilding and the experience of feeling improvement. For the money the Fens offers good components and decent wheels and tires that should keep me going for a while.

I'll be moving the SF bay area soon and I expect to be surrounded by tempting frames. Right now I'd like to just get started already, I've been out of the saddle too long.

Last edited by dinobyte; 11-27-12 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-27-12, 04:34 PM
dinobyte
I'm a roadrunner baby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tiagra/105 mix for $750

You can thank me later
Thats a very tempting alternative indeed, nothing really bad about tiagra, not really. What would you say are the main advantages to this frame set? Seems like a nice (better) frame and fork, saddle, seatpost. Is the geometry superior?
Wheelset and crank are about the same quality.
Old 11-27-12, 04:42 PM
dinobyte
I'm a roadrunner baby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, a Fens. I suppose she's keeping up with you?
That cannondale super6 is pretty sweet. I bet it'll go up around 800.

Oh, the windsor knight is on sale for $799 right now. Ultegra, hmm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/221158886014...84.m1438.l2649
this is pretty cool. titanium roadbike. big range with the mtn RD and that cassette.

Last edited by dinobyte; 11-27-12 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-28-12, 11:20 AM
Genaro

Originally Posted by dinobyte
Hey, a Fens. I suppose she's keeping up with you?
That cannondale super6 is pretty sweet. I bet it'll go up around 800.

Oh, the windsor knight is on sale for $799 right now. Ultegra, hmm.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/221158886014...84.m1438.l2649
this is pretty cool. titanium roadbike. big range with the mtn RD and that cassette.
Wow, now that seems like a good deal for someone looking for a future frame upgrade. It has a triple too
Old 11-28-12, 11:33 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Do you need a triple? Absolutely nothing wrong with triples, but there might be more choices out there if a compact crank set will do the trick.
Old 11-28-12, 09:50 PM
dinobyte
I'm a roadrunner baby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
Do you need a triple? Absolutely nothing wrong with triples, but there might be more choices out there if a compact crank set will do the trick.
I would rather have a double in theory, but I think the triple will come in handy for hills in the bay area.
I think I want 11-25 paired with a 52/42/30.

That ebay titanium litespeed bike sold for $745.
Old 11-28-12, 10:21 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Where were you about a year ago when competitive cyclist was blowing out BMCs with full 105 drivetrains for something like $700? I was tempted to get one just for the sake of the deal being that good, despite not being able to afford frivolous things at the moment.
Old 11-28-12, 10:49 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Crap, now you got me bike shopping. That competitivecyclist deal and those bikesdirect pics all look good but the components are better at BD for $50 more. I don't know anything about Ridely, new Schwinn steel frames, Gravity, or Windsor frames. Is that Windsor Knight with Ultegra just flat out the obvious choice? Or are one of those frames superior to the point of offsetting the better components?
Old 11-29-12, 02:52 AM
dinobyte
I'm a roadrunner baby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koolerb
Crap, now you got me bike shopping. That competitivecyclist deal and those bikesdirect pics all look good but the components are better at BD for $50 more. I don't know anything about Ridely, new Schwinn steel frames, Gravity, or Windsor frames. Is that Windsor Knight with Ultegra just flat out the obvious choice? Or are one of those frames superior to the point of offsetting the better components?
Thats kind of the eternal question with BD bikes.
I think the frames really are fine, and there are some cheap bits on them but nothing you wouldn't mind upgrading for a few bucks down the road. I don't know what it would take to convince me to take a downgrade in components for a better frame. I think subtle changes in geometry and precise fitment are just beyond me right now.
I wonder mostly about the wheels, and even those seem to be just fine for 90% of riders.

The schwinn is tempting, it's 520 cromo and I'm sure it's totally up to par with any other 520 frame, but I kind of want aluminum (!) and it's red , and I like flat top tubes...

I used to have a motobecane fantom cyclocross bike (stolen) and the aluminum frame had nice consistent welds just like any big brand, was light, well finished, very rigid, had a weird matte finish that resisted scratches really well. It was way better than I thought it would be. The sora shifters were not that pleasing. Worked okayyyyy I guess.... they felt too department store. The new black sora is sweet looking though I wouldn't mind a cheap 9sp bike with those brifters at all. Dare I say the new sora 3500 group might usher in a new generation of inexpensive yet actually adequate road bikes?

The Knight's sale price make it a steal ($999 down to $799). You could buy a slightly used carbon or superior aluminum frame in the future and move all the components over and still come out ahead for what you'd pay for a new major brand bike w/ ultegra.

The ridley seems like a really great bike, but I don't think the frame is superior enough to warrant the downgrade. I know that you'd probably get way more respect riding it than a windsor. The frame resale would be higher on the ridley but the tiagra gear won't sell for much used if you want to upgrade... and if you already have ultegra there's no reason to upgrade at all!

Nashbar has a totally viable option with SRAM rival for $750. their shipping cost seemed to be $30 for a bike and they would charge me sales tax in CA.

aluminum w/ rival
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...98_-1___202613

green steel cyclocross bike w/ 105. this is a nice bike at a great price but it's not what i'm looking for. I'd love to see it in person.
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...36_-1___202613

ok, so too much coffee and non stop reading about bikes = long post
Old 11-29-12, 02:55 AM
dinobyte
I'm a roadrunner baby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Where were you about a year ago when competitive cyclist was blowing out BMCs with full 105 drivetrains for something like $700? I was tempted to get one just for the sake of the deal being that good, despite not being able to afford frivolous things at the moment.
Dang, I really like BMC frames actually. I guess I had just bought that cyclocross bike cuz I was gonna rule the mud and buy a cowbell and put on big tires and jump curbs or something. haha. Now I have a sweet yellow 1988 steel nishiki mtn bike for all that.
Old 11-29-12, 10:05 AM
Genaro

You look like you really did your homework so don't overthink it too much and get your bike!

Thats kind of the eternal question with BD bikes.
I think the frames really are fine, and there are some cheap bits on them but nothing you wouldn't mind upgrading for a few bucks down the road. I don't know what it would take to convince me to take a downgrade in components for a better frame. I think subtle changes in geometry and precise fitment are just beyond me right now.
I wonder mostly about the wheels, and even those seem to be just fine for 90% of riders.

The schwinn is tempting, it's 520 cromo and I'm sure it's totally up to par with any other 520 frame, but I kind of want aluminum (!) and it's red , and I like flat top tubes...

I used to have a motobecane fantom cyclocross bike (stolen) and the aluminum frame had nice consistent welds just like any big brand, was light, well finished, very rigid, had a weird matte finish that resisted scratches really well. It was way better than I thought it would be. The sora shifters were not that pleasing. Worked okayyyyy I guess.... they felt too department store. The new black sora is sweet looking though I wouldn't mind a cheap 9sp bike with those brifters at all. Dare I say the new sora 3500 group might usher in a new generation of inexpensive yet actually adequate road bikes?

The Knight's sale price make it a steal ($999 down to $799). You could buy a slightly used carbon or superior aluminum frame in the future and move all the components over and still come out ahead for what you'd pay for a new major brand bike w/ ultegra.

The ridley seems like a really great bike, but I don't think the frame is superior enough to warrant the downgrade. I know that you'd probably get way more respect riding it than a windsor. The frame resale would be higher on the ridley but the tiagra gear won't sell for much used if you want to upgrade... and if you already have ultegra there's no reason to upgrade at all!

Nashbar has a totally viable option with SRAM rival for $750. their shipping cost seemed to be $30 for a bike and they would charge me sales tax in CA.

aluminum w/ rival
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...98_-1___202613

green steel cyclocross bike w/ 105. this is a nice bike at a great price but it's not what i'm looking for. I'd love to see it in person.
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...36_-1___202613

Old 11-29-12, 10:24 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I know several people who have the unbranded (I think Kenesis) carbon stay / aluminum Nashbar frame.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...94_-1___202337

It's a great frame for the money, you can probably build it up for not much more than the Fens.
Old 11-29-12, 01:58 PM
Genaro

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I know several people who have the unbranded (I think Kenesis) carbon stay / aluminum Nashbar frame.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...94_-1___202337

It's a great frame for the money, you can probably build it up for not much more than the Fens
It might be a fun project, but don't think you can come close At leasat 300 for fork and wheels, another 4-600 on the 6700 mini groupset, then all that other miscellanious stuff ie. handlebars, stem, tires, tubes, etc, etc, etc
Old 11-29-12, 02:15 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I asked a competitivecyclist representative and he told me the Ridley has a nine speed Tiagra for anyone who may be interested. The newer Tiagra has been upgraded to a 10 speed.
Another alternative is the Diamonback Podium Sport '12 with a 105 component set minus the brakes and cranks/bb. https://www.jensonusa.com/Diamondback...t-Road-Bike-12
Do frames vary much between manufacturers? Are bikesdirect frames/forks or online makers inferior to name brand bikes? Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.

Last edited by buffalowings; 11-29-12 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-29-12, 02:38 PM
Genaro

Originally Posted by buffalowings
I asked a competitivecyclist representative and he told me the Ridley has a nine speed Tiagra for anyone who may be interested. The newer Tiagra has been upgraded to a 10 speed.
Another alternative is the Diamonback Podium Sport '12 with a 105 component set minus the brakes and cranks/bb. https://www.jensonusa.com/Diamondback...t-Road-Bike-12
Do frames vary much between manufacturers? Are bikesdirect frames/forks or online makers inferior to name brand bikes? Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.
you know, the Podium is an awsome choice for the OP. It also comes with the 12-30 cassette, for those hills he mentioned.
Old 11-29-12, 04:23 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
It might be a fun project, but don't think you can come close At leasat 300 for fork and wheels, another 4-600 on the 6700 mini groupset, then all that other miscellanious stuff ie. handlebars, stem, tires, tubes, etc, etc, etc
You're probably right. The BD prices are pretty crazy when you compare the cost of the parts at full retail. I have a very inexpensive BD bike (Kilo WT) as a winter bike and really like it. Very durable and awesome value for the money.
Old 11-29-12, 10:48 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I appreciated all of your comments, and agree.

I'm stuck in analysis paralysis mode right now. Part of my problem is I'm not sure what I want; an all rounder, or something just light and fast. Also, I like to support my LBS. I buy new bikes so infrequently I really would like to keep that business local. But man I'm really liking Ultegra for $800.
Old 11-30-12, 12:57 AM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you know, the Podium is an awsome choice for the OP. It also comes with the 12-30 cassette, for those hills he mentioned.
looking at the specs, it would appear that the Diamondback frames are a size larger then the more popular brands (52cm = 54 cm).

Also, LBS have a very tight profit margin on complete bikes, they make more a much higher percentage per dollar sold on parts and services, at least that's my understanding (that's why it's so doggone hard to get them to drop prices on bikes).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.