Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

4 end bike options

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

4 end bike options

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-20, 05:09 PM
Cemmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 end bike options

I cannot choose which bike to go for my next buy. I'm looking for price/performance bike, need fast as aero and weight as climber. Maybe some bettwen are not, but they look beautiful also prefer rim brakes. Price range around 5k€

- Colnago Concept
- Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9
- Merida Reacto 6000 or 7000e maybe 8000e
- Rose Bike X-lite Six

Tnx
Old 01-07-20, 05:40 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Have you ridden any of these? What groupsets are you looking at? So, am I understanding you that you would like something fast on the flats as well as with good climbing ability?
Old 01-07-20, 05:49 PM
Cemmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No i have not try anyone, for 2of choice are web only order bikes (Rose and Canyon) I may drive to Germany and test them...w'll see, but if anybody own or have experience it would be great for advice. I'm looking in price range as it's there Ultegra Di2 around.
Yes, generally Canyon is fair lightweight and has aero capabilities as i read.
Old 01-08-20, 09:00 AM
Cemmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone?
Old 01-10-20, 02:25 AM
Scn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My own two cents:
  • The colngao will be a prestige bike to have for sure. I have not yet ridden the concept yet, however my c64 has exceeded my expectations thus the concept might also be worth every dollar. On top of that, at least for my personal taste, it is by far the most slick looking. In terms of weight it kinda lacks behind the competition compared to the canyon and rose.
  • Canyon overall is a solid brand. I have ridden some canyons from time to time as rentals and was, besides some minor inconveniences, always pleased with the performance of the bike. This is deffo a contender for the best bang for the buck.
  • Never ridden this brand. Besides, I hate the looks of it
  • Only experiences comes from rentals as well. I am personally not a big fan of SRAM myself but that just might be me. The build quality of rose bikes is solid little to know doubt. However I’ve heard that their aerodynamics might not on the level of other manufactures. If climbing is something that is heavily in consideration for you this bike will offer the lowest overall weight. I can not per se say that it is as stiff as the others tho.
If you can get a decent deal on the concept featuring a decent groupset ( e.g. Ultegra or better) I’d personally go for that. If you really only care about the bang for the buck the canyon is your best bet IMO. The dura ace, the low weight and the overall build quality as well as looks does all favor this decision
Old 01-10-20, 06:25 AM
Cemmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for opinion. I'd really love to have aero type of bike, but when I see people complain when climb out of saddle, heavyness or someone rode 130miles+(200km) where neck and the back hurts because of aggressive geometry...i dont know
on the other side is nice to develop 40mph (60kmh) speeds and take Strava KOM in nearby village....

Need someone to told me take this
Thanks
Old 01-10-20, 07:55 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Bianchi XR4. The only aero bike used exclusively on the tour for every type of stage except TT. It’s moderately light, incredibly stiff yet comfortable, aero, and flat out best looking bike on the tour.
Old 01-10-20, 08:01 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I vote for Colnago, just because I really want one. The other three I just don't have any passion for when I see them.

I would try to ride them if possible.....that is the best way to choose.
Old 01-10-20, 08:15 AM
Cemmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok currently i found even better options,
Colnago v2r or v3r (i dont know which one is better, but fot V2r i heard nice reviews...

What about colour of these - black/little red, total red, white, UAE

Cheers
Old 01-10-20, 08:18 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Colnago has a heritage. You won’t be sorry about one. The Canyon is a proven brand from both racers and owners. It came on the marketplace out of nowhere and quickly grew because it offers an excellent bike at a good price. For me, it would just be between those two. I would lean towards the Canyon because som elf the Colnago appeal for me is it’s past. They aren’t the same in the current market though.
Old 01-10-20, 08:35 AM
Cemmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would also take Canyon but these year colours are terrible...i just coudn't find with them. Black matte is kind of popular but not best and nice, movistar i dont like also....
last year when Alpecin was active (now Israel) there were one combo red/black and some team bike was total red. It needs to be red, cause i'll not buying new clothes...
Old 01-10-20, 02:13 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I would take the Colongo C64 if I were you
Old 01-10-20, 02:54 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Are current Colnago, Bianchi in the range of 5k€ ?
Canyon Aeroad (rim brake) is a fantastic climbing machine, even better on the flats
The ride is superb, Yes I have have long rides 130mi +, no issues
Stack is quite low, this is a race bike, be sure that fit is ok for your needs
Old 01-10-20, 02:59 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
The Canyon is a proven brand from both racers and owners. It came on the marketplace out of nowhere and quickly grew because it offers an excellent bike at a good price. .
Canyon has been a higher-end brand for almost two decades, but only recently became available on the US market last year. I remember reading a magazine blurb 10 years ago that stated one of the Canyon road frames had the stiffest and strongest bottom bracket of any bike frame ever tested in a lab.
Old 01-10-20, 04:08 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Just spent some time on the Rose site. Had not heard of them, but then, I don't follow the European market that closely. That said, those bikes look really nice. And the pricing is way, way better than that for most of the major mfrs., like for like. Some bargains there. I might just go for one of those and see what happens. I've always preferred the less well-known makers, when I could afford them. One of my favorite rides of all time was a Wilier. Everybody has a Specialized.

Uh boy, now I've gone and done it...
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 01-10-20, 05:49 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Cemmac
No i have not try anyone, for 2of choice are web only order bikes (Rose and Canyon) I may drive to Germany and test them...w'll see, but if anybody own or have experience it would be great for advice. I'm looking in price range as it's there Ultegra Di2 around.
Yes, generally Canyon is fair lightweight and has aero capabilities as i read.
The Colnago is a Wonder Bike. The problem with them is that they have an absolute trashy warranty. I don't know about the others and to tell you the truth if I was intending on spending that sort of money I would look at a Trek. The aero difference between a Concept and a Madone SL is minimal at best and the Trek has a lifetime warranty. While this may not mean a lot, it does indicate that Trek is a lot more likely to take more time for quality control. Bikes of this nature have so little difference in aero drag that simply riding lower on the bars totally washes out any drag difference. Also the difference in climbing weight makes so little difference to a non-pro that you probably couldn't tell the difference between 5 lbs regardless of GCN videos.
In my experience the Italian bikes tend to have long top tubes. This probably means that they have more laid back seat tube. But it can make a difference in your riding position and the way a bike balances. This is why you can have a half dozen bikes all the same size and only one of them will ride the way you want to. This might show up sharply if you're "between" sizes such a L and XL where one bike will feel all wrong and another rides like a dream.
Old 01-11-20, 12:39 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Scn
I am personally not a big fan of SRAM myself but that just might be me.
​​​​​​You must be one of those hoity toity people that expects a front shifter to be able to make the bike shift.
Old 01-11-20, 02:12 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​You must be one of those hoity toity people that expects a front shifter to be able to make the bike shift.
Why do people still go on about Sram front shifting?
It was resolved long ago.
I have several Sram groups and the front shifting is excellent.
Old 01-11-20, 06:16 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

You can do a search on all of them if you haven't already.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 01-11-20, 07:03 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Cypress
Canyon has been a higher-end brand for almost two decades, but only recently became available on the US market last year. I remember reading a magazine blurb 10 years ago that stated one of the Canyon road frames had the stiffest and strongest bottom bracket of any bike frame ever tested in a lab.
This is very true...very stiff frames. Also super stiff frames are by Argon 18, very stout as well. That is why I got one so all the 800W I can throw down for about 4 seconds somes 5, that way the bike doesn't explode under all the power LOL!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 01-11-20, 10:51 AM
RiceAWay

Originally Posted by Dean V
Why do people still go on about Sram front shifting?
It was resolved long ago.
I have several Sram groups and the front shifting is excellent.
The problem isn't with the shifter - it is with the lunatics design of the crank bearings that allow the crank to move back and forth and this hasn't been fixed. If you think they shift well now wait a couple of months.

Last edited by RiceAWay; 01-11-20 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-11-20, 11:01 AM
RiceAWay

Originally Posted by sdmc530
This is very true...very stiff frames. Also super stiff frames are by Argon 18, very stout as well. That is why I got one so all the 800W I can throw down for about 4 seconds somes 5, that way the bike doesn't explode under all the power LOL!
Just 5 yeas ago I could put out a LOT of sprint power. Now, at 75, I can't so I'm not pretending that getting a bike like that group mentioned above would make any sense to me. I have a Colnago CLX 3.0 that is far stronger than I am. I have a Lemond Zurich that that is 2 lbs heavier and a Basso Loto steel bike that is another 2 1/2 heavier than that. Since I am 6'4" tall and 185 lbs (in the summer) I cannot tell the difference in those weights on any long climb. If you're buying a bike merely for bling or to impress your friends you'll find that a "better" bike comes out next week and you're a thing of the past.
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 01-11-20, 04:38 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
The problem isn't with the shifter - it is with the lunatics design of the crank bearings that allow the crank to move back and forth and this hasn't been fixed. If you think they shift well now wait a couple of months.
How does the crank move?
The axle is clamped solidly between a shoulder and the left crank arm. For there to be lateral movement the left bearing would need to be moving in the frame.
Old 03-08-21, 11:19 AM
alpanian

Bikes: Rose X-LITE TEAM 4000 '17, Koga Miyata Proracer '81, BMC SLX01 '08, Focus Arriba 3.0 '15

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have a 2017 Rose X-Lite 4000 with ultegra. The bike is truly amazing. Super light, responsive, no creaks. I also get amazing response from Rose whenever I need something, like when I needed some advice on converting it to Di2.

At the time I was cnsidering this vs Canyon, and super happy with the choice, even 4 years later with 6-8k of alpine riding per year.

The best thing about it is.... everyone wondering what on earth my bike is.