Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Should I go with the Garmin mess-'o-apps or stick with Map My Ride?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-15, 03:25 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts

As the title says, I am trying to decide if I should be using the Garmin website instead of Map My Ride. My Map My Ride page can be found here.

I am only using the free features of Map My Ride. I have used it to plan a few trips; however, lately the only use it has been getting is recording my daily commute.

I have tried using the Garmin website before, but was not able to do the basic things I wanted to do. I want to be able to:
  • Record my trips, include easily uploading daily commute data.
  • Plan trips and load the trips into my GPS, an eTrex 20

The Garmin website is supposed to be able to do these things; however, I have spent a few weekends trying to get it to do this with no luck. I tried asking on the garmin forum and they swear that it will do it.

If the garmin website, and basecamp, will do these things, where can I get real information as to how to make it do it?

I suspect that part of the problem is that the Garmin family of programs isn’t a single program or website, it is about six different programs and website, each of which does something, but there is not a clear statement of which one does what.

For example, the Garmin . . .dashboard. . . cannot see my device, clearly it did once because I have data in it. Garmin connect seems to be working (even though it wants to reinstall every time I start it). I say Garmin connect must be working because Map My ride needs it to see my Garmin. As far as basecamp, I have never gotten it to do anything useful.

Back to the point, I want to:
  • Record my daily commute
  • Plan a trip and upload that route to my Garmin (route, track, yes, I know they are different things, I just want it to upload something useful)

Is the Garmin collection of stuff enough better that I should spend a few more weekends trying to get it to do something useful, or should I just stick with the free part of Map My Ride?
Old 03-09-15, 10:00 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Map My Ride / Run / Walk / Hike / Stroll Around the Neighborhood with the Dog is pushing hard to monetize their site lately (ever since being sold to UnderArmor). I find it obnoxious. The pop-over ads, the fact that they won't show you your HR unless you pay for their service, etc. It's annoying and gets in the way. Their UI is very cluttered, too.

On the Garmin side of things, it's fairly simple. I haven't used an eTrex so I can't help you much with the details there. But as a brief overview:

Garmin Connect is a web site, a lot like Map My Ride. It's an online activity database.

You can upload rides manually (like adding a picture to Flickr) or you can install the Garmin Express software on your PC. Its job is to update your device and to upload files when you connect your device.

Basecamp just isn't very useful, and it's kind of annoying to try to use.

Honestly the best way to follow a route (in my experience, maybe there are better ways) is to find a gpx or fit file from someone else having ridden the route, send that to your device, and follow it.
Old 03-10-15, 06:52 AM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
FWIW: I upload activity data to Garmin Connect and use MapMyRide to plan rides and download them to my Garmin devices. There are many other sites and options but that's what I settled on 3-4 years ago for a number of reasons. All the sites have evolved so the optimal solution nowadays is likely different. The functionality of Garmin Connect is still quite limited. With the new "Modern" version they overhauled the look and feel, changed the method by which it connects to your device, and added a feature or two, but the functionality is much the same.
Old 03-16-15, 11:51 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I have come to th econclusin that I am not going to be using garmin connect. I ahve been following the garmin forum and it seems that a lot of people, myself included, cannot get Garmin Connect to work with our garmin devices.

I tried Strava; however, it seems Strave is focused on the hyper-competitive (nothing wrong with that, it just isn't my game). Further, Strava puts even more of its stuff behind the pay-wall than Map My Ride does. I would liek to try the heat map that Strava is supposed to have; but it is behind the pay-wall too.

Originally Posted by Looigi
FWIW: I upload activity data to Garmin Connect and use MapMyRide to plan rides and download them to my Garmin devices. There are many other sites and options but that's what I settled on 3-4 years ago for a number of reasons. All the sites have evolved so the optimal solution nowadays is likely different. The functionality of Garmin Connect is still quite limited. With the new "Modern" version they overhauled the look and feel, changed the method by which it connects to your device, and added a feature or two, but the functionality is much the same.
Old 03-16-15, 12:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You don't even have to be a Strava member to use their heat maps. Here's a link to a Strava heat map for the western 2/3 of Washington state (where I live) for cycling activities only. I use this to get an idea where nice bike routes might be in places I haven't explored.

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#8/-1...5467/blue/bike