Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

The best headlights under $50 thread

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

The best headlights under $50 thread

Old 08-14-08, 12:42 PM
leamcorp

Bikes: Fuji Team Trek FX Bianchi MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n4zou

MTE SSC P7 C-Bin 900-Lumen 8-Mode LED Flashlight. $45.90 free ship.
Brighter than automobile headlights on high mode, medium and low power modes for longer run times. Flash modes make you visible even in bright daylight.
P7 flashlights are selling out almost as fast as there listed. Hurry if you want one.
https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13060
Just want to say, Thanks so much for sharing this info. I bought 2 of these along with 8 batteries/charger and its working great.

For a while, I had 2 Fenix L2D setup on my swingbar (Minoura) for my night commuting. Although it did a pretty good job, I wanted a bit more light - especially at higher speed (20-30mph).

So I bought 2 more lights - this time UltraFire to supplement the Fenix. They were bit disappointing as I didn't find them too bright and didn't mix well with Fenix as it had a similar light pattern, which just made the white spot - whiter. I also didn't like managing 4 light and all that batteries.

So I bought 2 of those SSC lights. Holy crap - now one of this light is replacing the entire setup. The way I have it now is - 1 primary SSC, 2nd (spare or in casebattery runs out on 1st) and 1 fenix mounted on my helmet.

This thing lights up the road and for the first time last night - I see cars waiting for me as they come out of side road or they come up very slow behind me. I think they had a hard time figuring out what was in front of them - maybe they thought is was a motor cycle that was going slow (due to breakdown?). I don't care why, because it works, not only as a front light, but also as a "be seen" light at 12:00am.

I thought I wasn't going to like having non-common battery - but its no different than having a AA battery. You just have to buy them in advance and have enough spare on your bag. In actuality, I think I'll like the lithium battery more as they hold better charge and have longer lifespan than Nimh.

You are absolutely right - they've been out of stock for quite a while (5 and 8 mode version). I just bought 2 mode version, which is perfect for cycling as you only want high or low, depending on your ambient light condition. I'm getting 2 more to replace the fenix on my helmet and a spare.

The lights are much larger than Fenix, so keep that in mind. Instead of Fishblock, I had to use a larger mount. The cost of 2 light and charger/batteries were about equal to 2 fenix lights (last year) without the batteries/charger.
Old 08-15-08, 09:23 AM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a PB super spot back ordered. Should get here soon, I hope. I am also looking for 1 or 2 ultrafire/fenix flashlights. I plan on mounting 1 on the helmet and 1 on the bike if the super spot isn't enough.

Would any of you guys that have compared these and now would like to sell one, be interested in selling it to me? This would allow me to skip the shipping delay of buying new.

Drop me a PM.
Old 08-17-08, 07:50 AM
joelw135

Bikes: ActionBent Trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this. https://cgi.ebay.com/New-200-Lumens-C...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-17-08, 12:47 PM
wxmcpo
Beginning Rider

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite / 2016 Tarmac Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up the Cat Eye HL-EL135 for $19.19 on sale at my LBS. Super bright and has a constant as well as flashing mode.
Old 08-17-08, 04:33 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joelw135
Any pics or reviews? Anybody else have one? 200 lumens with that kind of run time? Wow! Is there a catch?

I just noticed an $18 shipping fee? Still a darn cheap light in spite of that if it performs as advertised.

Last edited by daredevil; 08-17-08 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-17-08, 07:49 PM
hammond9705

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but the Cateyes are a waste of money. If you can only spend <$50, get the Fenix or similar LED flashlight. I have a Dinotte that I am very happy with, but it is >$100. Once I got a better light I sold the Cateye on ebay, and wouldn't recommend them.
Old 08-17-08, 10:48 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Brighter than automobile headlights on high mode, medium and low power modes for longer run times. Flash modes make you visible even in bright daylight.
P7 flashlights are selling out almost as fast as there listed. Hurry if you want one.
After reading this thread, perusing several others, and spending loads of time reading through various P7 reviews on DX, I decided to go with the 8-mode P7 recced here (primarily due to the extra strobe modes and voltage regulation), as well as a set of blue protected Trustfires, the white safe charger, and a cheap bike mount. Crossing my fingers and awaiting their arrival. Also ordered a Superflash for the taillight. Considered building one from a cheaper DX flashlight + the red plastic cover for a cheap tailight, as that could easily have exceeded the Superflash's brightness, but I figured that's something I can look into later, and that the Superflash would do the job for the rear. What I really want is the ability to see well in front of me, and after perusing the P7 reviews, it seems these are the best lights available for under $100 dollars. Sweet!
Old 08-17-08, 11:09 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
Any pics or reviews? Anybody else have one? 200 lumens with that kind of run time? Wow! Is there a catch?

I just noticed an $18 shipping fee? Still a darn cheap light in spite of that if it performs as advertised.
There's nothing amazing about this. It's just a regular LED flashlight modified to run off a battery pack. Not worth the money in my opinion. Just buy a couple of $20 Cree flashlights from DealExtreme and switch out rechargable batteries as needed. How much time does it really take to pop a couple of new batteries into your flashlights? Do it during your waterbreaks. Double the light, $14 cheaper after factoring in shipping (free from DealExtreme).

The Cat Eyes may seem "pretty bright", but are actually many times dimmer than these flashlights.
Old 08-18-08, 06:18 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
There's nothing amazing about this. It's just a regular LED flashlight modified to run off a battery pack. Not worth the money in my opinion. Just buy a couple of $20 Cree flashlights from DealExtreme and switch out rechargable batteries as needed. How much time does it really take to pop a couple of new batteries into your flashlights? Do it during your waterbreaks. Double the light, $14 cheaper after factoring in shipping (free from DealExtreme).

The Cat Eyes may seem "pretty bright", but are actually many times dimmer than these flashlights.
The Fenix flashlights have generally gotten rave reviews on these forums. I bought a couple because of this and couldn't be happier. This light that you say is nothing special is supposedly brighter with longer run times than the Fenix.

So who can tell me if this is really better than the Fenix L2D's?
Old 08-22-08, 02:16 AM
tstartrekdude

Bikes: had a trek 1000 RIP now a OCR 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14909

runs of 2 aa's. is very cheep(get 5 ) and puts out about 150+ lumens. i use one of these(well its an older one modded to make this same light) and it gives me more light than i have ever needed.

i would recommended the scc p7 also, but soon cree is going to put out a four die kile the p7 emitter that will KILL the p7 in turms of brightness and efficiency, you will be able to get the same 400 ish lumen's out of the cree at 1 amp that you get at 2.8 amps with the p7, so i am holding out for them.
Old 08-22-08, 09:14 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tstartrekdude
https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14909

runs of 2 aa's. is very cheep(get 5 ) and puts out about 150+ lumens. i use one of these(well its an older one modded to make this same light) and it gives me more light than i have ever needed.

i would recommended the scc p7 also, but soon cree is going to put out a four die kile the p7 emitter that will KILL the p7 in turms of brightness and efficiency, you will be able to get the same 400 ish lumen's out of the cree at 1 amp that you get at 2.8 amps with the p7, so i am holding out for them.
I just placed an order. 230 lumens possible no matter what the run time for $24 is hard to pass up.
Old 08-22-08, 09:57 AM
chipw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uke
After reading this thread, perusing several others, and spending loads of time reading through various P7 reviews on DX, I decided to go with the 8-mode P7 recced here (primarily due to the extra strobe modes and voltage regulation), as well as a set of blue protected Trustfires, the white safe charger, and a cheap bike mount.
Where on that web site is the bike mount? I can't find it. I'm also interested in a sub-$50 light. I don't see a bike mount for the flashlite type lights.
Old 08-22-08, 11:54 AM
Cain

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrafael
2 x UltraFire Cree C3 Flashlight with 2xAA $20.57 ea
2 x Universal Bicycle Mount $1.90 ea

41.14 + 3.80 + free shipping ( 10-15 days ) = 44.94

This flashlights can use 1 or 2 (longer runtime) AA, so no need to buy special chargers or batteries

Runtime - about 1.5hrs on 1xAA and about 4hrs on 2xAA
Do the universal bicycle mounts linked above fit oversized handlebars?
Old 08-23-08, 10:15 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5387 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 229 Posts
You are absolutely right - they've been out of stock for quite a while (5 and 8 mode version). I just bought 2 mode version, which is perfect for cycling as you only want high or low, depending on your ambient light condition. I'm getting 2 more to replace the fenix on my helmet and a spare.

Is the two mode version voltage regulated? I was going to get the 8 mode because it supposedly is.
Old 08-23-08, 08:57 PM
madscot13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I would like one of these for my bike. I may add on a fenix light because it would also be handy to have a helmet light/ light that is not so bright so that I may use it off the bike. the fenix also has some handy attachments (or what I think may be a handy diffuser cone).

I have never thought of batteries beyond AA, AAA, C, D, 9V, and rechargeable. Could someone help me out? I prefer rechargeable; it is worth the hassle to me. I can't decide between the lithium rechargeable , the rechargeable 18650's or the un- rechargable 18560's. Other than saving on cost of buying more batteries by going with rechargeable, I don't know the difference with lithium.

thanks
Old 08-24-08, 08:59 AM
brokenknee

Bikes: Trek 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't really know anything about batteries other than what i have read on the forum. if you go with the lithium ion ones they should be the (protected type). if i understood it correctly this will keep them from exploding during recharging. here is the link to the ones that were recommended from another post. https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790

these batteries need to be charged with a charger designed for lithium ion batteries. here is the link to the charger that was recommended in that same post. https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1251

Edit: the 18650 are not interchangeable with AAs

Last edited by brokenknee; 08-24-08 at 09:02 AM. Reason: add info
Old 08-24-08, 06:44 PM
Yan 

The Fenix flashlights have generally gotten rave reviews on these forums. I bought a couple because of this and couldn't be happier. This light that you say is nothing special is supposedly brighter with longer run times than the Fenix.

So who can tell me if this is really better than the Fenix L2D's?
That light has a longer runtime than the L2D because it uses more batteries, stuffed into an external battery pack. This is not an elegant solution. Furthermore, you cannot use it as a regular flashlight when it's off the bike.

It also uses a P4 LED emitter, which is not a current generation emitter. It is most likely an extremely poorly constructed product. It will likely have poor optics, poor water resistance, and poor durablity for commuting use. The Fenix is vastly superior.

The Fenix L2D is not the brightest flashlight on the market. A Q5 emitter powered by an 18650 battery will be brighter. A P7 emitter will be brighter still.
Old 08-25-08, 07:59 PM
madscot13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone say anything about the strobe on the MTE SSC P7 C-Bin 900-Lumen 8-Mode or the 5- mode?I would prefer fewer modes but I would also like to avoid giving/getting headaches. 1hz should not give headaches but I do not know the strobe frequency for the 5 mode version, which is in stock- making it more appealing.

fall is approaching and my rides don't start until 6-6:30. These are also 30 mile rides and I am not exactly fast.
Old 08-25-08, 10:17 PM
Yan 

I have the 8-mode MTE P7 light. The 1Hz strobe is too slow for cycling use. The 3Hz is great. The rapid strobe, which is too fast to count, is seizure inducing.

The MTE P7 has a rather diffused beam. I have it mounted to the bars, on the 3Hz setting.
At night, I have a second Q5 light mounted on my helmet. I use its very concentrated beam to light up distant objects.
Old 08-25-08, 10:49 PM
madscot13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

The MTE P7 has a rather diffused beam. I have it mounted to the bars, on the 3Hz setting.
At night, I have a second Q5 light mounted on my helmet. I use its very concentrated beam to light up distant objects.
I was thinking of that! I don't think that I could find the perfect light but it would beeasyto find the best 2 lights. The diffuse beam would be good for trail riding when I want to be sure of the perimeter and also in the city when I want cars to be able to see me. I was thinking of a light with more throw/ narrow beam for when I want to see farther ahead. I can't decide between the deal extreme super thrower or a fenix l2d
Old 08-26-08, 08:00 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

The Fenix L2D is not the brightest flashlight on the market. A Q5 emitter powered by an 18650 battery will be brighter. A P7 emitter will be brighter still.
I like the convenience of AA's though myself.
Old 08-26-08, 08:17 PM
leamcorp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the convenience of AA's though myself.
Until I got the 18650, I would of agreed with this based on - oh I could get it from local convenient store if it runs out - but now it doesn't make sense.

I think most of us uses rechargeable - and most of us carry spares (me, bunch of spares). I think we also buy these items in advance or via mail order, which also negate "get it from convenient store"

As for my riding condition - I'm never that far from home when commuting or when I go for a long ride (on weekends), there's no stores anywhere on these remote locales.

I love these lithium based batteries. They hold better charges and hold more capacity. And they last longer than Nimh/Nicd.

Am I missing something?
Old 08-26-08, 08:26 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leamcorp
Until I got the 18650, I would of agreed with this based on - oh I could get it from local convenient store if it runs out - but now it doesn't make sense.

I think most of us uses rechargeable - and most of us carry spares (me, bunch of spares). I think we also buy these items in advance or via mail order, which also negate "get it from convenient store"

As for my riding condition - I'm never that far from home when commuting or when I go for a long ride (on weekends), there's no stores anywhere on these remote locales.

I love these lithium based batteries. They hold better charges and hold more capacity. And they last longer than Nimh/Nicd.

Am I missing something?
At this point I'd need to invest more on another charger. Maybe eventually. I've put enough into all this already.

Another thing is we have a lot of items around the house that run on AA and AAA so the convenience deal again.
Old 08-26-08, 08:28 PM
leamcorp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madscot13
I was thinking of that! I don't think that I could find the perfect light but it would beeasyto find the best 2 lights. The diffuse beam would be good for trail riding when I want to be sure of the perimeter and also in the city when I want cars to be able to see me. I was thinking of a light with more throw/ narrow beam for when I want to see farther ahead. I can't decide between the deal extreme super thrower or a fenix l2d
I ride with that setup (2 SSC on handle, 1 fenix on the helmet) and I found fenix bit wanting when I needed to look in the distant. There's definitely a cutoff point and its always shorter than what I want to look at.

I may try one of those long thrower, but I am also going to try SSC on the helmet also. I think it may be bit too bright - but its wide beam is just too good.

One thing - the MTE SSC's beam is very white, while Fenix's beam shows much more yellow.
Old 08-26-08, 10:23 PM
Yan 

I went riding on some bad roads today and noticed a problem with my MTE P7 light. Every time I hit a large bump, the light cycles to the next mode.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.