Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Vintage cycling shoes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Vintage cycling shoes

Old 12-30-19, 02:25 PM
CTony

Bikes: 74 Raleigh InternationalRiva-Sport,Frejus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Vintage cycling shoes

Information on vintage cycling shoes,hy to purchase,which is better model?
Old 12-30-19, 02:34 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Slightly cryptic message there. You are asking what vintage cycling shoes to consider purchasing?

If this is true, then any of them will do the job as the pickings are few. Detto, Vittoria, Sidi, etc. are good to start with.
Old 12-30-19, 04:03 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
What do you mean by the phrase "vintage cycling shoes"?. Do you want to purchase old shoes from 30 years ago? Do you want to buy shoes that look like shoes from 30 years ago? Do you want shoes dedicated to the era of toe clips and straps?
Old 12-31-19, 02:25 PM
CTony

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes,I’’m using toe clips.So,thirty years works.looking for advice on venders out there.In 80s i had a pair leather bike shoe that i was able to walk-in.Thank you.
Old 12-31-19, 02:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Are you wanting shoes that can take cleats? I use toestraps and traditional slotted track cleats made by Exustar with the LOOK standard 3-bolt pattern. Now walkable is a challenge. I have a pair of Lakes that I had a cobbler install sole material on around the cleat plus a heel and they are quite walkable but that was an expensive solution.

The $20 Exustar cleats are high quality; as good as any made back in the day and better than many, and a joy to install and adjust.

For years I commuted in LL Bean's Ranger Oxford shoes until they went with a mountain style sole. The earlier soles were soft, flat and little pattern so getting into the toestraps was easy. Soft moccasin style leather so the straps didn't scuff them and pulled tight, they gripped very well. (I could climb N 65th St in Seattle from both sides on my 42-17 fix gear in them.) If those shoes are still being made (I don't care the label) I'd love to know, I'd pick up a size 10D in a flash.

Ben
Old 12-31-19, 03:29 PM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I often look on Etsy and ebay but haven't bought in a while. I have gotten some cool vintage shoes that i wear for spin class.
Old 12-31-19, 06:35 PM
CTony

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Anyone use VV Classic cycling shoes?Pretty pricey or Ribo vintage cyclists shoes.Thought Opinions.
Old 12-31-19, 07:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Hmmm...

Are you wanting to use cleats?

Proou Lombardia Corsa retro cycling shoes

Or without cleats?

Ribó Vintage Cyclist Shoes - Black

The true "vintage" shoes with cleats are a major pain to walk in. But, they are sweet once clipped in.

I do, however, like that ribbed sole design in the Ribó Vintage shoes. Not as secure as the cleats, but they look comfortable, and safe to walk on slick flooring.

I wonder if you had an upper that you liked, if you could find a cobbler that would make a sole that you liked. But you probably wouldn't safe much money.

There is, of course, also the Vittoria shoes that are SPD compatible. Not particularly vintage, but they look nice.

Vittoria Retro 1976 Classic Bike Shoes

I did try SPD shoes with Winwood toeclip adapters, and they weren't particularly successful. Too thick.
Old 12-31-19, 08:47 PM
CTony

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ribo vintage without cleats I keep going back to their website.I’m just wondering How stiff the sole is any power lost?
Old 01-01-20, 07:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
I had a pair of Duegi that I loved. Hand made in Italy with wooden soles.
Old 01-01-20, 09:23 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I got the Bontrager Classique. Then replaced the laces with white. Super vintage look. Full carbon sole. Look 3 bolt pattern. Nearly a pound lighter than a pair of very nice Sidi's.

They've become my new shoes, on my modern and vintage bike.
Old 01-01-20, 11:18 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
The nicest shoes I ever had for toe clips was the pair of Puma Olympics, they had moulded plastic soles and came with several cleat inserts so that you could adjust your foot position and angle on the pedal. Not very good for walking however
Old 01-01-20, 11:48 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
I went through 3 pairs of Bata Bikers in the years before my conversion to clipless in 1998. Alas, long out of production. There have been several BB threads on BF in the last few years. Not compatible with cleats.
Old 01-01-20, 02:37 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hmmm...

Are you wanting to use cleats?

Proou Lombardia Corsa retro cycling shoes

Or without cleats?

Ribó Vintage Cyclist Shoes - Black

The true "vintage" shoes with cleats are a major pain to walk in. But, they are sweet once clipped in.

I do, however, like that ribbed sole design in the Ribó Vintage shoes. Not as secure as the cleats, but they look comfortable, and safe to walk on slick flooring.

I wonder if you had an upper that you liked, if you could find a cobbler that would make a sole that you liked. But you probably wouldn't safe much money.

There is, of course, also the Vittoria shoes that are SPD compatible. Not particularly vintage, but they look nice.

Vittoria Retro 1976 Classic Bike Shoes

I did try SPD shoes with Winwood toeclip adapters, and they weren't particularly successful. Too thick.
I wish I had know about the Ribo ribbed sole shoes. I just went back to clips and straps after 3 years of Shimano SPD clipless pedals. I like them but found straps and clips fit better with my riding and more importantly muscle memory when it was time for a fast exit.

Sadly the Ribo ribbed sole shoes do not appear to be available in Size 47.

My hunt for clip and strap compatible shoes was difficult but I ended up with Shimano SH-GR5 Flat Pedal Shoes. I will say Shimano shoes are consistantly sized across their product lines, and are friendly for wider feet. These new ones feel as good as my Shimano SPD mountain shoes I was using for my mostly road riding. So comfortable in fact that when I got back from a ride, I would sit down and grab a drink before even removing the shoe. I was going to put the cleat covers back in the soles for toe clip use, but the velcro closure straps hindered entry and release from the toe clip straps.

For the SH-GR5 shoes, I also wanted black (tradition rules ), but the navy blue version was deeply discounted at REI in November (winter sports time). The grippy sole is perfect with my MKS Sylvan Touring Next pedals. I probably should have splurged for the removable Rinko version of the pedals for ease of removal for transport and quick swap back to a SPD-type cleat pedal. I also used MKS deep toe clips so I could also use sneakers or my Merrell hiking shoes for short local or quick rides.

Back when I used the old-school slotted cleats and quill pedals, I has a set of Guerciotti leather shoes with very soft perforated leather. I had a cobbler install flat heel pads mainly to avoid wear on the sole, but also to make it slightly easier to walk. I also used Bata Bikers, but they no longer fit my older, wider foot.
Old 01-01-20, 04:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I wish I had know about the Ribo ribbed sole shoes. I just went back to clips and straps after 3 years of Shimano SPD clipless pedals. I like them but found straps and clips fit better with my riding and more importantly muscle memory when it was time for a fast exit.

Sadly the Ribo ribbed sole shoes do not appear to be available in Size 47.
Hmmm.... I'm not sure exactly where the Ribo site is..

https://proou.com/product-category/cycling-shoes/

They seem to list 3 "corsa" models (cleats), and 3 "touring" models (no cleats).

Sizes appear to be up to 48.

If they are truly handcrafted, they may well be able to do custom shoes up into the 50's.
Old 01-01-20, 04:47 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hmmm.... I'm not sure exactly where the Ribo site is..

https://proou.com/product-category/cycling-shoes/

They seem to list 3 "corsa" models (cleats), and 3 "touring" models (no cleats).

Sizes appear to be up to 48.

If they are truly handcrafted, they may well be able to do custom shoes up into the 50's.
Many thanks. I will try to find out some more, especially their fitting process and width sizing. I am definitely not a mail-order shoe person as my feet are hard to fit. I love the look, but will probably stick with my new Shimano shoes and add red laces .

A friend uses older rental-type bowling shoes to get the retro-look, but they are a bit too flexible.