Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

getting called out

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

getting called out

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-10, 06:38 PM
paverman4u

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
getting called out

What have you said/done when getting called out for riding an ebike on the trails. Here's the scoop - I was on the trail recently riding . Some clown on a non-ebike comes up and passes me, then kind of mumbles "no electric bikes on the trail'....mind you he wasn't abrasive in tone, but this is the first time someone said this. I bit my tongue, as I wasn't sure what he actually said at first until I replayed it several times in my head.

Mind you, the irony of the fact that my bike goes over 30mph, and that I was sticking to a very modest 19mph whilst *HE* was passing me is not lost on me.

In my area, it's a bit of a grey zone as to whether bikes can or can't be on the trail. Based on the research I've done it's okay to do as long as you maintain all the usual safety precations that others follow (not speeding, warning when passing, etc).

This is not to say that there are not people out there are not aware of this, particularly people who themselves are speeding on the trail (at 21+ mph he was technically over the trail's speed limit whether he was on an ebike or not).

In any case, how have you handled this. As this was the first time, and it caught me by surprise I bit my tongue.
Old 09-07-10, 07:36 PM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Several people have commented on the fact that my wife or I were riding an ebike. But for the most part the comments were " hey, cool man" or "your cheating" followed by a laugh or grin But one time I like you was called out. This was by a lady that was jogging on the wrong side of the path causing everyone to change lanes to go around her. And for people on bike we had to pass her on the right. Mind you this is on a path that has a solid while center division line. As I passed her I slowed and advised her that she was on jogging onso she commented the wrong side of the path. Futher down the path I felt my cell vibrating and pulled over to answer the call. this allowed her to catch up to me again. and as she passed I was just putting my phone away. so she commented "you know your not allowed on the trails!" I responded with a WHAT!! She said bikes aren't allowed on the trails and especially motor bikes. I said the sign at the beginning of the trails calls it a "BIKE TRAIL, DA!" She insisted she was correct and I had no right on the trail.

Since then I have carried with me a copy of the county trail regulations as well as the fed and state regs on ebikes. Both clearly state that an ebike is to be treated as a common bike and has the same right and legal obligations of a common bike. So the next time I am questioned I am prepared to prove myself in the right. But since I've been armed with my information no one has questioned my right to ride the trails.....DARN!!
Old 09-08-10, 04:38 AM
alfonsopilato
eBiker

Bikes: CCM Moutain bike fitted with 408 Crystalyte motor, 48V 12 AH battery, 20 amp 48 v Crystalyte controller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, how about the flipside of this. i ride my ebike on the road... and i mean smack in the middle of the right lane.
i ride at the speed limit of the road and follow traffic.
I ride a mountainbke with rearhub motor, so i look very much like a bike.

yesterday i was one car lengths away from the car ahead of me (Lansdown , Toronto), this clown behind me honks then takes the opposite lane to my left to pass me and then went ahead of me, bumper to bumper with the car ahead... what do you say about that?

the law is, bike take the right lane entirely if the lane is narrow, it's safer that way. but not everyone is knowledgeable of this. Same goes for your bike trail. ebikes may be indeed permissible but not everyone may be aware of this fact.

cheerios!
Old 09-08-10, 04:44 AM
bicycle_monkey

Bikes: Salsa Steel MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in a group ride (non-electric) with about 20 guys and some lady walking a dog yelled at us to get off the "bike" trail. I know it was a lot of guys to be on the trail as a group, but it's the only connector to take on this road.
Old 09-08-10, 06:59 AM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alfonsopilato
ok, how about the flipside of this. i ride my ebike on the road... and i mean smack in the middle of the right lane.
i ride at the speed limit of the road and follow traffic.
I ride a mountainbke with rearhub motor, so i look very much like a bike.

yesterday i was one car lengths away from the car ahead of me (Lansdown , Toronto), this clown behind me honks then takes the opposite lane to my left to pass me and then went ahead of me, bumper to bumper with the car ahead... what do you say about that?

the law is, bike take the right lane entirely if the lane is narrow, it's safer that way. but not everyone is knowledgeable of this. Same goes for your bike trail. ebikes may be indeed permissible but not everyone may be aware of this fact.

cheerios!
al, I couldn't agree with you more. That the reason I started carrying a copy of the trail rules and the law on ebikes with me. I have heard and seen argumente over a lot lesser things. And if someone gets overly nasty and there's no way out at least you can prove the law is on your side.

I also ride a 250cc motor scooter. It's capable of about 80mph and I tend to drive it at least as fast as I do my cars. I was on a 2 lane road (1 each way) and had an Ahole on my butt at 45mph in a 40mph speed zone. I was intending to make a right turn into a shopping area and it had a right turn lane for it. So I put on my turn signal but before I could change lanes this Ahole passes me using the turning lane. Did he turn you wonder....no he didn't he just wanted to get in front of me before I had a chance to turn off.

There's no getting around it there's an Ahole out there for everyday of the week and for every situation.
Old 09-08-10, 03:01 PM
Tony N.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And they all have one thing in common. They are miserable, sad, frustrated and you/we have nothin to do with the way they acted. It is just they are upset that you would have the gall to be happy or at least enjoying life.
Old 09-09-10, 09:25 AM
jeckhout

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is an important lesson to take away from all this. Don't be a tool when riding your ebike. That means don't go flying 30mph down a crowded path (not saying any of you have). Even if you are going the legal "limit" to be considered a bike use some common sense and good judgement. You can be right and legal all day long but if you are perceived as a nuisance and people complain then the laws and enforcement will change.
Ride safe and be smart
Old 09-10-10, 06:07 AM
alfonsopilato
eBiker

Bikes: CCM Moutain bike fitted with 408 Crystalyte motor, 48V 12 AH battery, 20 amp 48 v Crystalyte controller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since we're on that topic, and my apologies to the thread owner for expanding on this tangent...

I see daredevils in the most common of folks riding a bike. A lot of cyclists, whether ebikers or regulars, think they own the rightmost side of the right lane, to the point that the will squeeze between the tiniest passageway between the car to their left and the sidewalk or parked car to their right.

In doing so, they are practically invisible, since they are travelling within the blind zone of most vehicles.

This is an insane habit and I've seen some close calls from my vantage.

I rather be seen to be safe. That's my message to my fellow bikers.

Most accidents between cars and bicycles are due to the car not seeing the cyclist.

Be seen, be safe. Wear a blippin helmet. Oh, and don't do drugs

Last edited by alfonsopilato; 09-11-10 at 05:42 AM.