Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fat tire or fad tire?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Fat tire or fad tire?

Old 12-17-12, 08:08 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Probably depends more on the individual. My brother-in-laws Zipp wheel equipped CF flash-bike has spent far more time hanging on the wall than it ever has on the road. Could call that a 'fad' too - at least in his case.
Old 12-19-12, 10:59 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I think you're right on, and in fact, I'm kind of counting on the bandwagon-ers tiring of their fatbike for just tooling around town so that I can buy a used one at a lower-than-new price!

Unfortunately, here in MI, I don't see much urban fatbike use, and I think most buyers are hip to the fact that the bikes are brilliant on our sandy trails and amazing coastline, so they're getting used right and all year 'round.

I remember seeing my first fat bike, a Wildfire Designs, probably 7 years ago in the middle of the summer on one of the sandiest trails here in my neck of the woods. I spoke to the owner, who let me spin the bike around the parking lot, and he said he was stoked and delighted with how well the bike handled the sand, and said that he could clean the trail in about the same time he could on his MTB because he was rolling right through the sand without giving up much speed.
This is my hope too, I'm looking to pick one up used from somebody who bought into the 'fad'. There are a lot of extremely technical trails around here that would be fun at a slower speed on a fat bike. Also, some on the coast and on Vancouver Island that are very sandy. Much of this terrain lends itself well to fatbike use, I think.
Old 12-19-12, 11:57 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
The bicycle itself was a "fad" in the beginning. No need to get bent out of shape over the latest incarnation...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-19-12, 12:02 PM
jim hughes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this product blitz is channeled into winter cycling on back roads and existing cycle trails, that's fine. If it's another attack on the hiking and XC trails - and remote, peaceful wild places - like what happened with 'mountain bikes' in the 80s, that's definitely not fine.

Bike makers want to sell more bikes, and one way to do that is to push cycling into areas where it isn't happening (or allowed) now. Similarly, Segway, and makers of electric mopeds, have been lobbying hard to get their products onto bike trails.

It cuts 2 ways.

Last edited by jim hughes; 12-19-12 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-19-12, 12:45 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Not good as an "only" bike, but they're a lot of fun as an extra bike if you can afford it.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-19-12, 01:01 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by jim hughes
If it's another attack on the hiking and XC trails - and remote, peaceful wild places - like what happened with 'mountain bikes' in the 80s, that's definitely not fine.
I bet the bears say the same thing about hikers and skiers.
Old 12-19-12, 01:29 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,646 Times in 4,054 Posts
I think it's pretty cool that this type of bike is getting more mainstream. Back in the early 1990s you had to special order this stuff from Alaska, IIRC. There were people lacing two rims together for fat tire rigs.

Now I can pop into several shops around town and grab one if I so desired.
Old 12-19-12, 01:34 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I think it's pretty cool that this type of bike is getting more mainstream. Back in the early 1990s you had to special order this stuff from Alaska, IIRC. There were people lacing two rims together for fat tire rigs.
Let's not forget the hanebrink monsters-

https://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro...uff-71602.html

Part of the build process was to shave 5.5 pounds off an 11 pound ATV tire for bicycle use. whoa.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 12-19-12, 01:35 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,646 Times in 4,054 Posts
Oh, I'll never forget the Hannebrinks. I think he's still doing those, but mostly electrics.
Old 12-19-12, 07:14 PM
aruban

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is one on Craigslist that showed up today:

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bik/3476878727.html
Old 12-20-12, 02:25 PM
jim hughes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fotooutdoors
The thing is, if this segment continues to grow, fat biking could overtake skiing in some areas as the major winter sport. So then who has a right to the trails then?
The skiers. Is this a trick question?

When motorcycles outnumber bikes, do they get the bike trails?

Last edited by jim hughes; 12-20-12 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-20-12, 04:14 PM
gecho

Bikes are a different kind of apple not an orange.

What is the typical width of cuts for these types of trails? I would like to think there is room to share, though I would hope fat bikers refrain from riding straight down a xc trail messing up the tracks. Presumably snow shoers also use the same trails, is it an equally contentious issue?
Old 12-20-12, 05:11 PM
jim hughes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As we all know, serious X-C trails are 'groomed' to have 2 tracks at just the right width. IMHO there's no way bikes wouldn't screw up those tracks. We could talk about etiquette and consideration, but all it takes is 2 thoughtless clods on those giant knobby tires and it won't matter that the other 90% of the cyclists were careful. I doubt showshoers are appreciated either.

It shouldn't be up to us, anyway. The skiers advocated and lobbied for the creation of ski trails. In some states they buy seasonal X-C passes. So they're the ones to decide what's allowed on their trails. Maybe the ski groups think it's ok if it brings in money and support for the trails.

Last edited by jim hughes; 12-20-12 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-20-12, 09:01 PM
bhc

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Haro Mary, Redline Monocog, Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have trails in our areas that the X-C ski club in town built. So they put up signs saying (in a nice way), stay off our trails until the snow melts. They aren't the best for riding in the summer, but they are close. And we can ride bicycles on the snow mobile trails in the area, so more reason not to go for the ski trails.
Old 12-21-12, 01:45 PM
fotooutdoors

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, One-One Inbred 29er, Blue Norcross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it is on public land and ungroomed trails (or even groomed trails if the skiers aren't paying for it), then I don't think it is so easy. The mountain biking trails at a local county park were almost entirely built by a mountain biking club, but are shared with snowshoers in the winter and hikers in the summer. Both get the right-of-way over mountain bikers. It's called sharing, while trying to preserve the experience for everyone as much as possible (ie not riding in the classic tracks, etc).
Old 12-21-12, 03:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sun has a modestly priced 2 speed coaster brake Gordo-fat tire beach cruiser..
I could live without the tread pattern

but seeing an imprint of a Spider does show where you went.

Just would be better if there was a chaincase to keep the sand out.
Old 12-21-12, 06:25 PM
jim hughes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fotooutdoors
If it is on public land and ungroomed trails (or even groomed trails if the skiers aren't paying for it), then I don't think it is so easy. The mountain biking trails at a local county park were almost entirely built by a mountain biking club, but are shared with snowshoers in the winter and hikers in the summer. Both get the right-of-way over mountain bikers. It's called sharing, while trying to preserve the experience for everyone as much as possible (ie not riding in the classic tracks, etc).
I'd say it's called "sharing" if the skiers decide to share. Otherwise it's called barging in.
Old 12-21-12, 08:04 PM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Not good as an "only" bike, but they're a lot of fun as an extra bike if you can afford it.
I agree. I love my Pug but would really only recommend a fat bike to someone who is already an avid rider. Not good for commuting but keeps you on the mountain bike trails winter, which is what I love to do.
Old 12-21-12, 08:35 PM
gecho

I'd say it's called "sharing" if the skiers decide to share. Otherwise it's called barging in.
Drivers say the same thing when cyclists ride on the road. Seriously, is your strongest argument "I don't like it".
Old 12-22-12, 12:05 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
Drivers say the same thing when cyclists ride on the road.
no, skiers say the same thing when people walk or snowshoe in the ski trails.

Winter trail users on groomed x-c ski tracks are not supposed to mess up the ski track. QED. the road is both a significantly more durable surface and there's the whole 'road rights' thing going on, compared to a ski track, which is a recreational trail maintained on snow for a specific use.

grooming trails specifically for skiing costs states and ski clubs millions of dollars a year.

Last edited by Bekologist; 12-22-12 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-22-12, 12:32 AM
Mathewgunny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time i saw one bike race in Kenya Safari place is good but the mud is heavy to not easy ride in that place which bike is more comfort to racing in road and mud place.
Old 12-23-12, 07:55 AM
ze_zaskar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Most fatbikes can have a second 700C (or 29er if you prefer) wheelset. The Pugsley can even run on 26'' mtb wheels with it's high BB.
So, from the point of versatility, they are hard to beat.

Regarding the fad/not thing, I guess it depends how the big market players go into it. I think in the next 2 years will start to see a big brand playing.

Cannondale have showed some attention, doing a photoshoot with the official xc team and a camouflaged 907 fatbike. This was most likelly related with the Sandman team (a belgian fatbike brand) beating Cannondale on the Ruta last year.

About the usefulness of a fatbike, it depend on what you want from a bicycle, and how open minded you are. If everyone gave that much importance on speed vs fun/capacity than no one would drive Land Rovers or Jeeps.

Fatbikes can really expand what you can ride, and that's important for some people. They also make riding a rigid bike agressively more viable, for the ones who don't like suspensions. And yet, they are not much slower than regular bikes when riden on regular biking conditions. Just make sure you play well with tire pressure
Old 12-30-12, 08:06 PM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaadster
I think you're right on, and in fact, I'm kind of counting on the bandwagon-ers tiring of their fatbike for just tooling around town so that I can buy a used one at a lower-than-new price!

Unfortunately, here in MI, I don't see much urban fatbike use, and I think most buyers are hip to the fact that the bikes are brilliant on our sandy trails and amazing coastline, so they're getting used right and all year 'round.

I remember seeing my first fat bike, a Wildfire Designs, probably 7 years ago in the middle of the summer on one of the sandiest trails here in my neck of the woods. I spoke to the owner, who let me spin the bike around the parking lot, and he said he was stoked and delighted with how well the bike handled the sand, and said that he could clean the trail in about the same time he could on his MTB because he was rolling right through the sand without giving up much speed.
Originally Posted by Commodus
This is my hope too, I'm looking to pick one up used from somebody who bought into the 'fad'. There are a lot of extremely technical trails around here that would be fun at a slower speed on a fat bike. Also, some on the coast and on Vancouver Island that are very sandy. Much of this terrain lends itself well to fatbike use, I think.
So you both want to buy into the "fad" at a reduced rate?
Old 12-30-12, 09:50 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I ride a lot of muddy forest trails around here with my current MTB (2.1" 26" tires), and could see a lot of use for a fat bike with both summer trails and with snow in the winter (and would probably use it as a go-to commuter), but you can't fit fenders for them! What's the purpose of a "snow bike" when you can't keep the snow off of you?
Old 12-31-12, 03:38 PM
doco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey85
I ride a lot of muddy forest trails around here with my current MTB (2.1" 26" tires), and could see a lot of use for a fat bike with both summer trails and with snow in the winter (and would probably use it as a go-to commuter), but you can't fit fenders for them! What's the purpose of a "snow bike" when you can't keep the snow off of you?
here ya go.........

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...68&category=78

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.