Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Today I rode like a God...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-28-14, 10:42 AM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts

Ok, perhaps an overstatement. Maybe not. I have a regular thirty mile ride I have developed over the last three years. This ride brings me from my house to the local foothills and eventually ends at a really nice private waterfall, full of Hummingbirds. This particular ride actually began the night before with an awesome meal of fresh Sushi and killer mixed green salad. I mentioned this because maybe it has something to do with the way I was able to ride. Morning comes and I am sore from work and a little run down. Didn't really feel like riding. I made a Smoothy from two small Bananas, some peanut butter, and milk. Made up a Whole Grain bread and Almond butter and Jelly sandwich, cut it in half to become two energy "bars". As I pedaled up to SART, it all seemed to come together. Even though the beginning is into the wind, my bike seemed lighter and the pedals were just spinning under my feet. Maintaining 20 mph for the first seven miles was nice and about 15% faster than normal. This is on a Single speed mountain Bike with 29 x 2 inch tires so it is naturally a little slower than my road bike. I made a turn off SART and up thru Mainplace mall. This is a Speed zone and I often stay with traffic, seeing speeds up into the thirties for short distances on level glass smooth pavement. Up Santiago Creek trail, just cruising the MUP I felt superb. At the end of this trail is (South) Cannon street. It looks a little imposing from the bottom but I felt great and started up and up and up. Up in front crossing the road were three mangy Coyotes with their noses in the air. Then I see two women with Bait sized dogs just walking right towards those Coyotes. I was in Hill climb mode but stopped to warn these Gals when all of a sudden the Coyotes turn towards all of us and start trotting our way. The little dogs started yipping and jumping. I took off towards them making loud growling sounds and getting high up on my bike. This seemed to entertain them more than scare them but they did cross the road and run off. The road gets steeper here and I had lost my momentum but the climb seemed way easier than normal. Getting to the top I had breath to spare for once. I rode down to Chapman and took off toward Mission Viejo by way of Santiago Cyn. Road. Ripped that road up !
I stopped at Cooks and had two beers, the first one gone in one gulp. I ate my Half sandwich and turned around. The return ride was epic with a tailwind, yet I pushed as hard as I could eventually ending up chasing cars around Irvine park. One more Half a sandwich and lots of water and it was back down to the MUP. Getting Back on SART I flew back to my house in what seemed like a blur. Had a good dinner and slept for 14 hours. Woke up a little sore and depleted. And hungry. At 54 I felt this ride was every bit as fast and my endurance was as good as it has ever been even when I was riding in my twenties. Ended up being 56 miles. So I though I would share this as proof we gray haired guys can still get it on, even though it took 14 hours of sleep to recover. Do we all have this experience or is it a fleeting memory never to be relived.

Last edited by Cyclcist11023131; 06-28-14 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-28-14, 01:35 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
With great fueling the night before and in the AM you were good to go. I've had my times when everything came into alignment resulting in a wonderfully fast and seemingly effortless ride, but sadly those days are fewer and farther apart.

Cherish that ride and I hope you have many more like it.
Old 06-28-14, 02:20 PM
freedomrider1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice report
Old 06-28-14, 02:23 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
which god?

edit: Hermes is taken.
Old 06-28-14, 04:03 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
which god?

edit: Hermes is taken.
I was wondering that myself. Then again, a great ride can make one feel religious.
Old 06-28-14, 04:15 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Sounds like a great ride.
Old 06-28-14, 04:47 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
You were going HOW fast on the MUP??

Love the coyote episode.
Old 06-28-14, 05:29 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by rubic
I was wondering that myself. Then again, a great ride can make one feel religious.
almost holy?
every good day i have in this world is worth giving thanks to someone/thing for. that's indisputable.

To the OP - great story.
You asked "do we all get this feeling?" Ans = YES, it is at the foundation of N+1.
Old 06-28-14, 05:53 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Yeah, I get the feeling every time I bump into a Strava top-10.

But I aint eating no raw fish.
Old 06-28-14, 10:34 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Just don't ride like the god of thunder, also known as Thor Hushovd. He's retiring at the end of the year after failing to regain his form after falling ill two years ago. We don't need anymore sickly gods.
Old 06-29-14, 05:50 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Bendopolo
Ok, perhaps an overstatement. Maybe not.

I have a regular thirty mile ride I have developed over the last three years. This ride brings me from my house to the local foothills and eventually ends at a really nice private waterfall, full of Hummingbirds. This particular ride actually began the night before with an awesome meal of fresh Sushi and killer mixed green salad. I mentioned this because maybe it has something to do with the way I was able to ride.

Morning comes and I am sore from work and a little run down. Didn't really feel like riding. I made a Smoothy from two small Bananas, some peanut butter, and milk. Made up a Whole Grain bread and Almond butter and Jelly sandwich, cut it in half to become two energy "bars".

As I pedaled up to SART, it all seemed to come together. Even though the beginning is into the wind, my bike seemed lighter and the pedals were just spinning under my feet. Maintaining 20 mph for the first seven miles was nice and about 15% faster than normal. This is on a Single speed mountain Bike with 29 x 2 inch tires so it is naturally a little slower than my road bike.

I made a turn off SART and up thru Mainplace mall. This is a Speed zone and I often stay with traffic, seeing speeds up into the thirties for short distances on level glass smooth pavement. Up Santiago Creek trail, just cruising the MUP I felt superb. At the end of this trail is (South) Cannon street. It looks a little imposing from the bottom but I felt great and started up and up and up.

Up in front crossing the road were three mangy Coyotes with their noses in the air. Then I see two women with Bait sized dogs just walking right towards those Coyotes. I was in Hill climb mode but stopped to warn these Gals when all of a sudden the Coyotes turn towards all of us and start trotting our way. The little dogs started yipping and jumping. I took off towards them making loud growling sounds and getting high up on my bike. This seemed to entertain them more than scare them but they did cross the road and run off.

The road gets steeper here and I had lost my momentum but the climb seemed way easier than normal. Getting to the top I had breath to spare for once. I rode down to Chapman and took off toward Mission Viejo by way of Santiago Cyn. Road. Ripped that road up !

I stopped at Cooks and had two beers, the first one gone in one gulp. I ate my Half sandwich and turned around.

The return ride was epic with a tailwind, yet I pushed as hard as I could eventually ending up chasing cars around Irvine park. One more Half a sandwich and lots of water and it was back down to the MUP. Getting Back on SART I flew back to my house in what seemed like a blur.

Had a good dinner and slept for 14 hours. Woke up a little sore and depleted. And hungry. At 54 I felt this ride was every bit as fast and my endurance was as good as it has ever been even when I was riding in my twenties. Ended up being 56 miles. So I though I would share this as proof we gray haired guys can still get it on, even though it took 14 hours of sleep to recover.

Do we all have this experience or is it a fleeting memory never to be relived.
The other readers can thank me now.

This ride is known as being run over by a dump truck full of awesome.

Old 06-29-14, 01:14 PM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

I quote: " just cruising ". Probably 10 or less, it is full of root bumps and joggers.
Old 06-30-14, 02:04 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
There are days like that. Enjoy them.
Old 06-30-14, 02:40 PM
Dudelsack 

Probably not like God. Probably like the demiurge. God is the foundation of all Being. The demiurge can really clip along, though.

Old 06-30-14, 02:58 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Probably not like God. Probably like the demiurge. God is the foundation of all Being. The demiurge can really clip along, though.
This gives me visions of Plato riding his Gnostic bike.
Old 06-30-14, 03:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Yea, For the PolyTheists out there can you say which one? Perseus, Thor, Bacchus, Zeus, Popobawa?

Fausto Coppi? Poulidor ?

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-04-14 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-30-14, 03:58 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I'm dyslexic, I thought the op said he rode like a dog.
Old 06-30-14, 09:16 PM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by rubic
This gives me visions of Plato riding his Gnostic bike.
Perhaps the OP is guilty of gnostic turpitude (many bonus points for literary reference without googling it).

Old 06-30-14, 11:40 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
That wasn't Eddy Merckx, that was just God... he likes to pretend he's Eddy Merckx.
Old 07-01-14, 12:11 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
That wasn't Eddy Merckx, that was just God... he likes to pretend he's Eddy Merckx.
Everybody wants to ride like Eddy.

edit: and be like billy.
Old 07-01-14, 10:02 AM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

One day I ride like Eddy and my thread turns meta-religical. If I knew the right Pharmacist I could ride like Lance. But mostly I think it all came together, on an unlikely day. Next ride involved a "superman" with the attendant bruised ribs and legs. Still hurts when I laugh.
Old 07-01-14, 08:01 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Bendopolo
One day I ride like Eddy and my thread turns meta-religical. If I knew the right Pharmacist I could ride like Lance. But mostly I think it all came together, on an unlikely day. Next ride involved a "superman" with the attendant bruised ribs and legs. Still hurts when I laugh.
The kind without the cape?? Ouch. Not good at all.

Those magical rides are really rare. Conditions are perfect, timing is right and you have a ride for the memories. Wish those could be duplicated on command.

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 07-01-14 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-01-14, 08:46 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
The other readers can thank me now. .
Thank you Dudelsack! I found the post much easier to read after your expert paragraphing!

I am familiar with many of those roads and while the OP doesn't give a feet of climbing total, I'm thinking well over 3,000 feet at least. Which, in my opinion, makes the ride that much more awesome. Lots of those climbs get my attention on a road bike; I can barely imagine them on a single-speed mountain bike!

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-03-14, 06:08 PM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Thanks for the props Rick. Keep your knees in and push hard. Don't ever give up. Pain is only a sensation of the weak. Thank God that Gravity is the weakest of the fundamental forces. Legs don't fail me now. Mantras of the Single Speed.

Last edited by Cyclcist11023131; 07-12-14 at 09:53 AM.