Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter Survival Kit

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter Survival Kit

Old 12-07-17, 08:29 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My winter cycling is mostly commuting, and I'm never too far from a place to go inside. Also, I probably dress more warmly than most because I don't sweat much and can get away with wearing thicker clothes.

One thing I carry is a small jar of isopropanol, in case anything in my drivetrain gets frozen. I haven't thought much about whether isopropanol is the best stuff for this purpose, but it was handy when I got the idea.

Leatherman sounds like a good idea. Mine is in my music bag, but I've never needed it there, so maybe I'll throw it in my bike bag instead. Being able to deal with small things while wearing mittens is something I hadn't thought of. Then again, maybe just a small needle nose pliers would be easier to operate in the cold.
Old 12-09-17, 09:46 PM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Insulated water bottle, multi-tool, $10 cash, airplane bottle of Fireball, Nuun tablets, credit card, ID, cell phone with a back up battery and the cables that can charge the phone or your USB lights. Maybe a flat repair kit, a tiny bottle of chain oil, back-up baclava or beanie. Finally, bring your common sense and leave your pride at home - and admit if you are too tired or too cold to continue to your destination without a break.

Except for the water bottle, all that will fit in a large seat bag.
Old 12-09-17, 09:58 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm not talking about being stranded in a blizzard and having to eat your own leg.....

A rack and trunk bag!

The extra space allows me to have the extras I never have room for in my saddlebag. One of the things I keep in the trunk bag is a full adult sized poncho. Getting rained on a hot day... can almost be fun. Getting wet at 40 degrees... ain't funny.

After I decide what I need to wear... I put the "one up" in the bag too. That next step up... may be a polar fleece pullover, or a windbreaker. Whatever... it goes along in the truck bag.
Old 12-09-17, 11:06 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Also some kind of card with a mag stripe, atms always have the heat cranking for a quick warm up.
Is this really true?

What do you use the card for? Does it trigger the machine to do something? How does the heat come out.

I never heard any of this and am sincerely interested.

-Tim-
Old 12-11-17, 02:47 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter

A rack and trunk bag!
heck yeah

Old 12-15-17, 09:21 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Is this really true?

What do you use the card for? Does it trigger the machine to do something? How does the heat come out.

I never heard any of this and am sincerely interested.

-Tim-
You're in GA? Guessing all those stand alone ATM's just have AC. Here in MA, they have both heat and AC, depends on the season. Swipe card, just go in. They usually have the ac/heat going well in that small space.
Old 12-15-17, 10:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
You're in GA? Guessing all those stand alone ATM's just have AC. Here in MA, they have both heat and AC, depends on the season. Swipe card, just go in. They usually have the ac/heat going well in that small space.

Most of the ATMs around here, at least the ones attached to banks, are outside, with a roof and (maybe) one extra wall. Cool in winter, warm in summer...
Old 12-15-17, 10:41 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Are you talking about ATM's in a booth or some kind of enclosure? We don't have that in Georgia.

I lived 44 years on Long Island and worked in NYC and never saw that. This is the first I am hearing of it.

In Georgia they might have a little roof to keep the rain off but that is it.

-Tim-
Old 12-15-17, 02:39 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Cash for a warm up in a bar if on the ride home I'm terribly under-dressed. Doesn't happen very often at all, but it's a nice option to have.

Wed night was the first in quite a while. Temperature didn't change all that much during the day...but wind picked up to 25mph, it was a straight headwind the whole way, and I was on studded tires. I just got a mixture of cold, tired, and unhappy on the bike. Stopped for a few beers and to watch the last half of the Bulls game. Much better the rest of the way home
Old 01-11-18, 02:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
What do you recommend to start a fire?
recently went thru my trunk bag (another thread) & tossed in the fire kit since it's winter. I checked it over & discovered it had some nice waterproof matches but nothing to strike them on! DOH! I fixed that. I guess last year I had a cigarette lighter w/ me but no actual "fire kit". also saw three chain tools! picked the best looking one & put the other two in a drawer

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-18-18 at 08:28 AM.