Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Give up road/race, for gravel bike?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Give up road/race, for gravel bike?

Old 09-25-18, 08:41 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
Depends on how serious you are of a road biker and how strong you are....I'm in transition currently as I sold my #1 road bike to get a gravel bike.. but knowing I'm going to buy a new "aero disc" road bike in the very near future. My gravel bike is around 7.6kg currently and with 30c "supposed" fast tires ... it's a f'n slug. Easily 2mph slower and 25-30w output. Putting on fast normal sized tires like turbo cottons gets a little more then half of this back but there is still the weight issue for climbs.

It is my current opinion for the type of riding I do... the gravel bike cannot replace the racing and fast group ride bike. Atleast not for me and the groups I'm riding with. Sounds like you are doing neither (road racing or fast road group rides) ... so a gravel bike could be a good compromise. Dont get me wrong, I like mine and am not going to get rid of it anytime soon...but for me it will eventually be N+1 again.
good points.

I'd had heath set backs, I don't know of I'll ever see 20+ mph averages again. :'( So close, but it's a struggle. I can turn 19's on himod supersix, and My Trek crossrip is turning 16's but leaving me drained with a longer than normal recoup. So for me, I am assuming that a higher end Gravel bike would split that difference, maybe.

Of course I have no Idea if this choice/change is permanent or what the future holds. The biggest goal here was to read posts/replies like yours, and some other posts too are equally valued. Thank you.
Old 09-25-18, 08:44 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I Love my Single speed road bike, I'd love to swap it out for a SSCX.

How ever, a single SSCX bike is a very poor choice for a bike that would be ridden in multiple US regions in a period of a year. Unless a person wanted to also haul around multiple cogs, multiple chain rings, and constantly be changing chain lengths also.

A geared bike, 2x at that with sub compact 46/30 (in this scenario) makes way more sense, as it allows for the throwing on of panniers, in multiple regions, as a grocery shopper / errand bike.

So a gravel bike + SS bike. That combo would have far too many overlaps, and be a waste of Limited space. So make the second bike a SS a 29er hardtail? what is the point? XT 10 speed stuff is dirt cheap and well I already have that with a Custom built XT 10s 1x Giant Talon. And I can tell you right now my 29er hardtail would NEVER be my only bike. I'd rather be restricted on where I ride, than to ride a Flat bar more than 30-40 miles.
It's a pickle.

On the one hand "if" I could only have one bike I would want it to be a really really nice bike. But would I want to ruin or risk a really really nice bike by all season commuting or daily use where it or it's components could be damaged or stolen? I would almost certainly want two just for that reason alone.

Of the two the daily commuter/beater is easy but what about the really really nice bike. At a certain level that means specialization to some degree so I have to decide which genre I like most and which I can accept compromise in. If I like road more I can have that and just add gravel tires (maybe 650b rims/tires for fit). Disc brakes would allow that and if you choose the right 650b tires you won't lose BB height. If I like gravel I could go there and just accept some decrease in road performance due to gearing, geometry etc...

If I want any kind of technical riding, suspension throws a wrench into the works. Training or constantly loading and unloading adds another dimension.

That's why I say three personally. One nice bike in the genre I like most. One more general purpose daily commuter beater. And one easy training/fun light bike. So I could lose the training bike I suppose but if one lives in a region with real winter that means gaining a gym membership for access to a spin bike (or buying a trainer which to me is another bike).

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-25-18 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 08:56 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Riding a bike with two vastly different wheel sets and tires is like riding two different bikes. You get used to it after a while and it just feels normal to switch back and forth.

I have four different bikes that I will regularly use for rides up to 8 hours. Each one is very different but after a few rides I’ve adapted and they all feel comfortable and familiar, just different, if that makes sense.

In the past I had one bike that I swapped between 700x25 racing slicks and 700x40 knobbies and it was the same way. Different but familiar - worked fine IME.
Makes sense.... I've swapped between 30/40's multiple times on the crossrip, and it rode different but similar to itself. and I've Never had issues jumping between Supersix, Crossrip, and my SS road.

the 2019 Revolt has been at the top of my Gravel bike list. I have no Idea what 650 size limit is on it.
Another contender for 650/700 would be the Warbird V4

yet...... I get this foggy Idea in my head that I would be better off with a a gravel bike just set up with a 650 WTB Byway, rather than multiple wheelsets.
Old 09-25-18, 09:14 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
It's a pickle.
the only pickle here, is in the "nomadic" constraint. If: I have room for 3, Then: I have room for 6 or more. There is more to it than just thinning the herd for the sake of thinning the herd.

The Critical information I sought here, was could I give up a road bike for a gravel bike. This is only a choice that only I can make. The more capable the Gravelbike becomes the farther is slides away from road bike territory.

the road bike I ride now, might be a clue, to how I like to ride road.

Other wise I'd just go drop $1000 on a 650 Journeyman and call it a done deal. 1 bike done settled. lets go drink beer. hahah

Because, there is that Option also.

Go on the road with my supersix, and also something like the 650 Journeyman.

Edit: I love snow, I love riding in snow. Riding a bike in snow and salt while traveling in a van "being nomadic"... Uh Probably, not going to be happening.

Last edited by Metieval; 09-25-18 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 09:49 PM
Happy Feet

Well sure, giving up some choices while traveling in a van is not that big - people who go on extended bike tours are limited to one bike all the time (and some of those last years). All you need to decide then is which bike is best for most of the rides you will do.

However, if you only have a van to hold all your possesions, and no other storage options ar all, a folding bike might be a consideration.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-25-18 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 09:53 PM
Metieval

kinda the point of the thread.

giving up a race road bike, for a gravel bike.
Old 09-25-18, 10:11 PM
Happy Feet

Ok. But to me its mixing two ideas.

GIving up a road bike for a gravel bike.

Limiting yourself to limited number of bikes.

The first is just a choice of which you prefer more. How can anyone answer that for you? The second calls into consideration a lot of competing and contradictory values that could be discussed.

Sorry if I complicated the conversation if personal choice is the only part of the question.
Old 09-26-18, 06:51 AM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
i gave up my cannondale supersix evo racebike for a santa cruz stigmata, and don't miss anything.
one wheelset has 30c slicks
other wheelset has 40c nano tcs

i'm lucky that my knees can't handle anything too technical, so don't have the need for an mtb. anything stiggy can't handle is something i probably shouldn't be doing on another bike anyway.
if my knees weren't so wonky, i'd add a f/s 29er to the mix for the 2 bikes to rule them all.
Old 09-27-18, 08:30 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
After building up my first gravel bike in 2011 (a 2010 Salsa Casseroll) I got rid of my road frame and have never once missed it.

Now I ride a Soma Fog Cutter which is actually more “road” like in terms of geo numbers than a lot of gravel bikes, but takes fat tires. I run 38mm Compass tires (no second wheelset) and I am left wanting nothing on any sort pf pavement, and most gravel/dirt roads.

My sig says it all for me on this.

As far as two bikes to take on the road-trip: Gravel bike with big slicks, and a mid-travel MTB. Maybe take along a set of more knoby tires for the gravel bike?

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-27-18 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-27-18, 10:26 PM
Metieval

I'll have to see if I can't get some Extended trial rides on higher end gravel bikes.
Old 09-27-18, 11:01 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I'll agree with earlier posters that suggest some sort of gravel bike and MTB. I've found my most ridden bikes the past couple years are my drop bar Trek 830 and my Masi Giramondo. I only occasionally ride my road bikes anymore because they aren't as versatile, but there's is a strong case to be made for vintage road bikes that fit wider tires depending on where you're headed. If you go down to a single bike, a rigid MTB with dirt drops and two wheelsets (wide slicks on one, and fast rolling offroad tires like Fast Traks or Riddlers on the other) will work pretty well in almost all situations.
Old 10-02-18, 02:40 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
kinda the point of the thread.

giving up a race road bike, for a gravel bike.
I did that earlier in the year. I think we had that conversation before. ;-)

I did N-1

Its a 17lb bike in gravel form, 16lbs in road form (just swapping to lighter wheels/tires).

In road form it keeps up with about any road race bike on rides averaging 25mph with strong pulls up to around 40mph.
with 40mm tires its a great gravel, CX, & urban assault bike. It enjoys mountain biking on trails I would take my ridged mtb on.
I even put a 54mm on the front if I'm running super rough or soft terrain.

Its faster than my road bike (and older Allez).

It obviously can not replace my track bike, or mountain bike with suspension, but it can do everything in between.
Old 10-02-18, 03:03 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by chas58
I did that earlier in the year. I think we had that conversation before. ;-)

I did N-1
maybe 'slow' applies to more than just my riding,
Old 10-03-18, 12:07 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
I'm down to 3 bikes now.

Dual suspension MTB (Haro Shift Plus)
Hardtail with rigid fork (Marin Muirwoods 29er)
Gravel bike (Cannondale Slate)

The Marin is basically my family ride bike. I have my daughter's kid seat on it and when she was younger I hauled her in a kid trailer. I have front and rear racks on it and it's a tank. I think out of all my bikes I will never get rid of it.

I have done a couple assisted road rides on the Slate and so far I don't really miss my EVO. Super comfy and can go plenty fast. Never raced so the full-on road bike was just really bling. I love that with my Slate I can ride out of my house, hit the road and if I get bored I can hit some fire roads and singletrack and then go back home.

I have the MS ride in 3 weeks so I will see how I do on the Slate while everyone else on my team has regular road bikes.
Old 10-03-18, 06:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
How many trails do you have access to that you can take a bike on? (And that you'd want to?) That's why I don't have a MTB.
Old 10-08-18, 10:00 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by czr
What FG bikes would those be?
Wabi Thunder comes to mind. Kilo WT is a lower cost alternative (Bikes Direct).

In my current situation, I can definitely relate to giving up a road (race) bike for a gravel bike. There are very few good rideable paved roads near my house, but gravel/dirt everywhere. Now, there are some great rec areas near my work (35mi away) where I get my pavement time in. But if I switched to a different job I would have to make a specific drive to get there and I'm not likely to do that when I can just ride a gravel bike from my house and save a significant time driving.

I guess I'd ask what sort of riding do you want to pursue while going walkabout? Are you looking for epic road rides all over the country or backwoods bikepacking adventures? Are you going to do any serious competition during this time?

I'm thinking I'll throw this out there: since you have a van, there is no need for a bike to support long bike-only trips. Besides, vehicles parked in one spot for extended times can be seen as an eyesore by the neighbors or become cantankerous from disuse. I'm also making this recommendation barring any serious competition. 1) gravel bike or light touring bike that will take 38+mm tires, has road-like geometry and some cargo capability. This would be used for most bike transportation as it will easily cover 99% of the roads in the US that a typical car/truck would. 2) a MTB, but it would be a "plus" bike or fat bike. Either 29x3" tires or full 26" fatbike. This will get you most places offroad as well as winter biking if needed. I'd also go with some flavor of dirt drop bar here because I'm a drop bar snob.
Old 10-08-18, 10:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Coverage of Paris - Tours stage race, sunday, made a point of mentioning the day's race route
included a stretch of gravel road through the vineyards, no one had a special gravel bike.
they rode their regular race bikes.

Old 10-09-18, 09:46 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
II have done a couple assisted road rides on the Slate and so far I don't really miss my EVO. Super comfy and can go plenty fast. Never raced so the full-on road bike was just really bling. I love that with my Slate I can ride out of my house, hit the road and if I get bored I can hit some fire roads and singletrack and then go back home.
Well put. That is what it is all about!

Slate will do fine on the MS. That isn't a high speed ride - you just need good rubber with good rolling resistance. I've done that a lot (MS 150) on a mountain bike with slicks. The only time I need race bike tires is when I'm doing a full on hard core Cat 1-3 ride with true race bikes and I need the climbing and accelerations benefits not to get dropped.