Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Call me crazy, but I can't escape the Escape

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-18, 04:30 PM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So, after I lost 154 pounds a few years ago, the first 'adult bike' I purchased to get/keep me in shape was a 2014, red, Giant Escape. I rode it all the time and everywhere...and I started expanding my bike 'quiver...a carbon road bike (Felt) a fat bike (Specialized Fatboy)....and then me and my Escape were t-boned at an intersection one morning on the way to work. I had a separated shoulder and a broken ankle...but the Escape was fatally injured - it's frame twisted beyond repair. I bought a Salsa Vaya after to be my anywhere bike....and it'd been great....fantastic on gravel...but it's not as fast as the Escape..

So I've been looking for....something...like the Giant Revolt Advanced ($3,300) which is an amazing piece of kit.. Yet, lo and behold, today at my LBS, they have a Giant Escape 2018 "one day" rental fleet sale for $225. So I test rode it..and all those good feelings from that first bike came flooding back. So instead of 'advancing' to the next thing, I bought the Escape...whipped out the credit card before allowing myself to think. Total impulse.

Am I crazy?
Old 10-28-18, 05:21 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by zaxmalloy
So, after I lost 154 pounds a few years ago, the first 'adult bike' I purchased to get/keep me in shape was a 2014, red, Giant Escape. I rode it all the time and everywhere...and I started expanding my bike 'quiver...a carbon road bike (Felt) a fat bike (Specialized Fatboy)....and then me and my Escape were t-boned at an intersection one morning on the way to work. I had a separated shoulder and a broken ankle...but the Escape was fatally injured - it's frame twisted beyond repair. I bought a Salsa Vaya after to be my anywhere bike....and it'd been great....fantastic on gravel...but it's not as fast as the Escape..

So I've been looking for....something...like the Giant Revolt Advanced ($3,300) which is an amazing piece of kit.. Yet, lo and behold, today at my LBS, they have a Giant Escape 2018 "one day" rental fleet sale for $225. So I test rode it..and all those good feelings from that first bike came flooding back. So instead of 'advancing' to the next thing, I bought the Escape...whipped out the credit card before allowing myself to think. Total impulse.

Am I crazy?
Yes. You do not understand.

A bike with flat bars, including a flat-bar road bike, will cause you irreparable harm according to teh 'Biek Forms' hive mind. You cannot possibly like that bike; if you do, it is only because you are an inexperienced 'newbie'. 'Everyone' knows this.

You see, 'experienced' or 'serious' cyclists know what's best. You actually prefer the Salsa Vaya, you are just too inexperienced to know this. You should have bought the Anyroad; it is an 'approved' choice, but again ... .

So, you will regret your impulse buy of this bike, suitable only for 'beginners' and/or for rides of less than 10 miles, when your arms fall off. Just sayin'
Old 10-28-18, 07:02 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

Am I crazy?
At $225 you really can't go wrong.
Old 10-28-18, 08:51 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1

A bike with flat bars, including a flat-bar road bike, will cause you irreparable harm according to teh 'Biek Forms' hive mind. You cannot possibly like that bike; if you do, it is only because you are an inexperienced 'newbie'. 'Everyone' knows this.

You see, 'experienced' or 'serious' cyclists know what's best. You actually prefer the Salsa Vaya, you are just too inexperienced to know this. You should have bought the Anyroad; it is an 'approved' choice, but again ... .

So, you will regret your impulse buy of this bike, suitable only for 'beginners' and/or for rides of less than 10 miles, when your arms fall off. Just sayin'
So true. Everybody who's anybody in the cycling world knows that drop bars are way more comfortable than straight bars. But I think as long as he stays here in the hybrid forum, which is kind of a flat bar safe space, he'll be OK. Hopefully, he won't venture too far into the Road Cycling section.
Old 10-28-18, 08:56 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts

Am I crazy?
No. I still have a nostalgic thing for my first real bike since high school. It was a '93 GT Corrado. I parted it out and sold it on Craig's List in 2005, but kind of wish I had it back.

Also, my go to bike for the past couple of years has been a 2011 Giant Roam-2 I bought used for cheap. I have more expensive bikes, but for some reason the old beat up Roam is just fun to ride.
Old 10-29-18, 05:25 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts

However, there is a way to convert that 'Fred machine' (aka Dad bike) into an Awesome Gravel Grinder - by simply replacing the flat handlebars with drop ones. And if you can't afford or are not willing to spend double the bikes worth on new drivetrain and brifters, you can make it into a single speed - that would actually make it even cooler (plus then it is a 'build', not a 'conversion' - and building your own bike automatically means you're an experienced pro).
Old 10-29-18, 11:21 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
I’m glad you found that initial joy again! T-bone belongs on steak..
Old 10-29-18, 11:53 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
... and curved horns belong on a ram.
Old 10-29-18, 12:13 PM
bubba_g
Bubba_g

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Escape

I love my giant escape.
Ride it 90% of the time
Old 10-29-18, 03:13 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
You're not crazy. As someone once told me, you have to go with the one that loves you back. Ride your own ride, and have fun.
Old 10-30-18, 07:16 PM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Appreciate the sarcasm. I actually test road the Anyroad and it was my odds on favorite to replace my Escape, but I could never get the shifting quite right on any model - which seems strange. Probably just needed the gears re-indexed, but the Vaya didn't have the same issue and the 'steel is real' ride (and a price tag $200 less than the mid-range Anyroad) sealed the deal.
Old 10-30-18, 07:27 PM
zaxmalloy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
At $225 you really can't go wrong.
Actually had a gift card to use, so it was net $196 for the Escape 2 all in after taxes :-) So you're right, going wrong wasn't really an option.
Old 10-30-18, 07:35 PM
zaxmalloy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
However, there is a way to convert that 'Fred machine' (aka Dad bike) into an Awesome Gravel Grinder - by simply replacing the flat handlebars with drop ones. And if you can't afford or are not willing to spend double the bikes worth on new drivetrain and brifters, you can make it into a single speed - that would actually make it even cooler (plus then it is a 'build', not a 'conversion' - and building your own bike automatically means you're an experienced pro).
Considering drop bars or something but it's early days. I haven't had time to ride it between work, relentless yard work- raking (lots of trees) and, well, darkness. But on a couple of trips around the block, some things are coming back to me - like I had bar ends on it so I could change hand positions....and I had replaced the pedals. You're right though that the bike can be a lot of things...