Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 04-17-19, 10:05 AM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultralight
Here you go. All I had on my camera was a wide angle lens for a quick snap. A longer lens would have been much better but that's the best I have time for. If my schedule was 'normal', I would be doing a review....

Basically, I think of Bromptons as the smallest package relative to wheel size among folding bikes. (Meaning the % of protusion relative to wheel size is small.) But the Helix, using the same formula, is actually even more efficient. The two wheels are on top of each other and the frame is BELOW the wheel's top edge. Just beautiful engineering. Everyone of the joints are double locking so that if the primary fail, there is still a secondary for backup and safety. OK, over and out.

I'll be keeping an eye out on user impressions.

If it's good, hopefully this will go mainstream.
Generally, I tend to not be the first buyer, but more the 9th buyer of things.
Old 04-17-19, 01:33 PM
KentS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For some reason that picture makes me think of The DeLorean.
Old 04-17-19, 09:18 PM
Ultralight
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
DeLorean - that is going waaay back. Yes, I can see that - the titanium and also an unconventional physical look.

As to impressions, I put up a review thread. Hopefully others will follow suit.
Old 04-22-19, 08:55 AM
borjita

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Youtube review

enjoy!
Likes For borjita:
Old 04-28-19, 12:22 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Latest update is posted.
Difficulties in assembly are being solved, & a new assembler will start Monday.
20 bikes have been shipped.
Another 30 are ready but for awaiting forks & steerers.
Old 04-28-19, 02:30 PM
AvnerBen

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Production

Also, one part that delayed the assembly process considerably was simplified, saving much assembly time. Right now, they are two months behind schedule. From now on, expecting three bikes per day.
👍
Old 04-29-19, 01:53 AM
AvnerBen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Peter and his small team seem to not only be perfectionists, but also resourceful to match, and that is a rare combination. Perfectionists that adhere to plan at all costs are not hard to find. Having the vision to extend the design to fit the real requirements as they unfold is something to be appreciated. I wish them and the rest of us (waiting for their bikes) success!
Old 05-02-19, 06:45 PM
Robmac123

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been a long-time lurker on here, having talked myself out of being a backer originally as I couldn't convince myself to take the risk. I followed this thread for a long time and, if I'm honest, I had become pretty pessimistic about the chances of the bikes materializing as time went on. I had probably written it off as never gonna happen about a year ago and hadn't checked back here in quite a while.
Even though I don't have a horse in the race I'm still delighted that bikes are getting delivered, albeit slowly.
Of course, now I wish I had pulled the trigger and would be getting my bike in the next few months. I'm still sold on the product and will no doubt will be in line for one at some point once production catches up with the backlog. No doubt I'll be paying a lot more than I would have done as a backer :-(
Kudos to everyone who took the chance on what looks like it has turned out to be a really nice bike. I never would have thought it would come good after so long.

Last edited by Robmac123; 05-02-19 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 11:06 PM
Ultralight
Banned

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robmac123
I've been a long-time lurker on here, having talked myself out of being a backer originally as I couldn't convince myself to take the risk. I followed this thread for a long time and, if I'm honest, I had become pretty pessimistic about the chances of the bikes materializing as time went on. I had probably written it off as never gonna happen about a year ago and hadn't checked back here in quite a while.
Even though I don't have a horse in the race I'm still delighted that bikes are getting delivered, albeit slowly.
Of course, now I wish I had pulled the trigger and would be getting my bike in the next few months. I'm still sold on the product and will no doubt will be in line for one at some point once production catches up with the backlog. No doubt I'll be paying a lot more than I would have done as a backer :-(
Kudos to everyone who took the chance on what looks like it has turned out to be a really nice bike. I never would have thought it would come good after so long.
I hear you on the risk. Bikes up to 30 has now shipped it seems so the production is starting to accelerate. I had a long exhausting day and upon soming home right before sunset, pointed my Helix up hill and went for a 20 minutes hard ride. Still marveling at how nicely it rides. So yes, I do recommend it and now when you order, there is confidence that you will indeed get the bike barring anything catastrophic.
Old 05-11-19, 12:30 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
If I could stick the following:

1. Brooks saddle.
2. Brompton front bag clip
3. e-bike upgrade

This would be pretty close to my ideal bike.

For now, I'll see how it plays out.
Still like my (used) brompton.
Old 05-11-19, 03:27 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
Mounting a Brooks saddle (or any other standard rail saddle) shouldn't be a problem.

But the two others seems almost impossible.

The Brompton front block will hit the lefty fork when turning right. You must wait for the proprietary Helix front bag mounting.

eBike upgrade seems very difficult.
- a front hub motor would need a lefty fork compatible hub motor.
- a bottom bracket motor will probably cause problem to fold the bike
- a rear hub motor is maybe possible but Helix has very special dropouts that will make the mounting more difficult.
Old 05-11-19, 10:11 PM
borjita

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jipe
Mounting a Brooks saddle (or any other standard rail saddle) shouldn't be a problem.

But the two others seems almost impossible.

The Brompton front block will hit the lefty fork when turning right. You must wait for the proprietary Helix front bag mounting.

eBike upgrade seems very difficult.
- a front hub motor would need a lefty fork compatible hub motor.
- a bottom bracket motor will probably cause problem to fold the bike
- a rear hub motor is maybe possible but Helix has very special dropouts that will make the mounting more difficult.
The Helix will have a rear hub motor option (only the model with 11 speed cassette), they have already been working on that; it will take some time to be offered but they have mentioned it a few times (incl. a picture of the motorized wheel).
Old 05-15-19, 10:06 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Congratulations to the Inventor & Developer (Peter?) of the Helix. 24" wheels pretty cool.Interesting design and fold.
Haven't been following the bike forums like I 'used to been' but delighted with the looks of this.

Recently toured around Brussels on my Ti-Swift and was happy to have that bike with me (so easy to transport) & fun to ride.
I have become a folder advocate again! Next project is to get my old Raleigh 20 back on the road.

Old 05-16-19, 02:43 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
So what are the odds of this taking off and becoming mass-produced? If so, what price could it be sold at? I'm wondering if it would come down to the base level for a Brompton ($1500-1600, right?).

Congratulations to the Helix team and its supporters. I stopped reading the thread because it was a repetition of naysayers and supporters on the same old arguments. I confess I wasn't exactly expecting it to work, but definitely hoped it would. Can't imagine any fans of folders not wanting a great new entry into the folding bike industry.
Old 05-17-19, 02:45 AM
Jipe

Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
That's de point: what is the production price of Helix ?

The combination of titanium and a very complex design requiring many CNC machined specific parts normally means a high production price.

There were already many posts about that without any real conclusion.

Offering an eBike version of Helix is I think very important for the commercial success of the project because there is now a very high demand for an electric assist folding bike and the market of the not assisted folding bikes is more or less stagnating.
Moreover, it is possible to sell an assisted eBike for a much higher price than a not assisted bike meaning higher margins for eBikes what would help a lot Helix (look at the price of the eBrompton: the price difference between the eBrompton and Brompton seems to me much higher that the additional costs of the electric assist).
Old 05-22-19, 02:14 AM
AvnerBen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Update

There has been an update.
"Over 40 bikes" delivered thus far. Integrating a comprehensive quality control system from scratch has taken a long time and resources. The team has grown and another machine is due, as well as a second work shift. They are now planning how to gradually catch up with the back log and also to update the software.
👍

Last edited by AvnerBen; 05-22-19 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-22-19, 05:45 PM
MrFlamey

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pretty disappointed at how far behind schedule they are, but glad to see that the team has expanded and hear (again) that their pace is increasing. The team photo is entirely comprised of older (well mid 30s and up) guys, which probably and hopefully means that Peter's perfectionism extends to team assembly. They look like a team with plenty of experience, anyway

It seems like I'll never get my bike this year at the current pace, but I can dream. Anyone else got theirs yet?
Old 05-23-19, 01:56 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFlamey
It seems like I'll never get my bike this year at the current pace, but I can dream. Anyone else got theirs yet?
At the current pace, mine should arrive in 2023.
But I expect assembly to pick up, since much
current effort is devoted streamlining production.
Perhaps by the time mine is due, I'll get fenders,
an electric hub, & titanium cup holder.
Old 05-23-19, 02:50 PM
2bridges1bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk
Congratulations to the Inventor & Developer (Peter?) of the Helix. 24" wheels pretty cool.Interesting design and fold.
Haven't been following the bike forums like I 'used to been' but delighted with the looks of this.

Recently toured around Brussels on my Ti-Swift and was happy to have that bike with me (so easy to transport) & fun to ride.
I have become a folder advocate again! Next project is to get my old Raleigh 20 back on the road.
As in a titanium swift folding bike? Can you post a pic?
Old 05-23-19, 06:22 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by 2bridges1bike
As in a titanium swift folding bike? Can you post a pic?
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...erested-5.html

Closer to halfway through you will find photos that visible.
Old 05-23-19, 07:44 PM
2bridges1bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Closer to halfway through you will find photos that visible.

That is amazing, seriously considering that ti swift frameset from aliexpress, do you know if anyone bought one and posted about it?
Old 05-28-19, 09:57 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
TWOBRIDGES<
If you do a search and read the WHOLE thread (its a bit long) you will find stories of happy customers who had ordered Ti Swift's
( there was about 10 approximately... ) There are photos too. Mine got a lot of attention in Brussels last month, I tell ya.

Last edited by kraftwerk; 05-28-19 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 09:28 AM
ImplodingVoice

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this bike in stock, or is it a custom-order with a long wait? Is the factory in Taiwan? I'm unfamiliar with this bike and the ordering and manufacturing process.
Thank you.
Old 05-29-19, 09:50 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ImplodingVoice
Is this bike in stock, or is it a custom-order with a long wait? Is the factory in Taiwan? I'm unfamiliar with this bike and the ordering and manufacturing process.
Thank you.
Dude, this is a 3+ year long thread about this bike that you have posted in. Maybe just read up a bit to know the saga?
Old 05-29-19, 10:23 AM
Trocadile

Bikes: Reynolds 853 hardtail MTB; Titanium mini velo

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ImplodingVoice
Thank you.
It isn't clear if you are asking about the Helix or the Ti Swift (which, for some reason, found it's way into this thread).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.