Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Swift folders

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Swift folders

Old 09-13-19, 02:12 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts

I wonder if anyone has any fenders/mud guards suggestions for my Swift? Not only is winter coming where I live, but I'm travelling on this bike in Ireland end of this month. I expect it's gonna get wet, particularly as I'll be riding in a North-Westerly direction for much of the trip. Are there any off the peg fenders which work well on a swift frame?
Old 09-13-19, 02:05 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Are there any off the peg fenders which work well on a swift frame?
I bought my Swift directly from Peter, which is to say: this was some while back. He set it up for me with a few options including fenders / mud guards. What's installed is a standard ("off the peg") Planet Bike 20" / 406 product. As mentioned, this was some while back. They've stood the test of time, including some disassembling, packing, and reassembling. They've worked very well for me.
Old 09-13-19, 06:24 PM
Tall_Xootr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have a typical SKS 20" fender in the front:

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/produ...-53-black-set/

In the rear I use a removable fender so I can fold the bicycle more easily.

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/x-tra-dry/

You can still fold the bicycle with a full size rear fender, you just have to be careful how to store it.

The rear fender works well in the rain. It also works for mud though the seat tube and chainstays tend to get a bit dirtier than with a full size fender. Overall I am happy with the setup. If you want a full size rear fender then I would suggest you get a set of SKS 20" fenders. Else go with my setup. Also Planetbike makes 20" fenders which were available through Xootr, so they should be a good fit.

Regards,
Josepoh
Old 09-14-19, 01:41 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Thanks for the excellent suggestions.

I'm a bit reluctant to put fenders on as I'm a minimalist when it comes to bikes generally and my swift in particular.

I'm going to be travelling several days with no panniers, just me the bike and a small backpack, so if my shoes get soaked it'd be quite miserable.

Maybe I should look into getting galoshes instead of fenders? Especially so as a rear fender would interfere somewhat with the bike's foldability.

Food for thought. Thanks again.
Old 09-14-19, 04:52 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Thanks for the excellent suggestions.

I'm a bit reluctant to put fenders on as I'm a minimalist when it comes to bikes generally and my swift in particular.

I'm going to be travelling several days with no panniers, just me the bike and a small backpack, so if my shoes get soaked it'd be quite miserable.

Maybe I should look into getting galoshes instead of fenders? Especially so as a rear fender would interfere somewhat with the bike's foldability.

Food for thought. Thanks again.
Try a set of these cheapies from Amazon. I spotted them here in the forum awhile back, as one of the people here where using them. They're very minimal, easy to remove when necessary, and keep the wet and crud off adequately. Pretty solid for around $10,... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-14-19, 06:44 PM
2bridges1bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by arbee
I bought my Swift directly from Peter, which is to say: this was some while back. He set it up for me with a few options including fenders / mud guards. What's installed is a standard ("off the peg") Planet Bike 20" / 406 product. As mentioned, this was some while back. They've stood the test of time, including some disassembling, packing, and reassembling. They've worked very well for me.
Peter is still recommending the planet bike fenders. One of the clips broke off mine after after about 350 miles. The bumpy roads in my area cause it to separate from the cone and then friction from the tire broke it off. I was able to fix it with a zip tie and electrical tape though.
Old 09-15-19, 08:30 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I have used neoprene overshoes for years. These feature a zipper in the back and can be cut out for SPD shoes. Obviously they do nothing for the wet stripe up the back although a large seat bag like the minnehaha medium will help with that. I pretty much use them all winter long, with oversized shoes and 2 pair of wool socks when it is cold. As the temps approach zero I wear waterproof hiking boots. However, the fenders on my Brompton ( my only fendered bike) not only prevent road filth from getting on me but they keep the bike and chain a lot cleaner as wełl.
Old 09-24-19, 01:43 PM
Harry94025

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a couple of Xootr Swift folding bikes and have been thinking of converting them to ebikes. Conv-e did a nice job of electrifying the Xootr Swift. Their conversion used a front hub motor with a special power pack that fits in the rear triangle.

I’ve tried contacting them a couple of times but haven’t had a response. Wondering if anyone has contact information or might know where I could buy parts or design information?

Thanks,
Harry
Old 09-25-19, 04:53 PM
timo888 

Bikes: Birdy BD-1. Change MTB. Fuji XC. Marin Four Corners

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The pin that secures the steerer tube on the Xootr Swift by fitting through that slot in the steerer post ... can anyone tell me what metal is it made of?
Old 10-01-19, 02:27 PM
abone

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Nishiki Superbe, Dahon MU P8 folder, Dahon Mariner D8, Xootr Swift

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hi,

Can someone confirm what type of bottom bracket the Xootr Swift has? I want to update my crankset and am somewhat (a lot!) confused about the various bottom bracket types. Pretty sure its BSA 68mm but want to confirm. My bike is 2011 vintage if that makes a difference.

Looking at SRAM cranksets and their website says BB30/PF30-68mm, GXP/PF GXP 68mm. Does that mean a BSA 68mm will work with their cranksets?

Or some advice on compatibility would be helpful.

I've read the Park Tool info about all the different types, and a couple other sources, but I'm still not positive what would work on the Swift.

Thanks
Old 10-02-19, 08:02 PM
Trocadile

Bikes: Reynolds 853 hardtail MTB; Titanium mini velo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
Yes BSA 68mm for the Swift. But that's just what will fit in the frame. You have to make sure the particular BSA 68mm BB you use is compatible with your crankset.
Likes For Trocadile:
Old 11-13-19, 07:14 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
With long horizontal drop outs, how do get the rear wheel off if you have full fenders?
Old 11-15-19, 08:24 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Bump..would someone address the above question.
Old 11-15-19, 01:21 PM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
You’ll have to remove the fenders first. And, if you have a rack, also that.
Old 11-15-19, 05:44 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by Numerozero
You’ll have to remove the fenders first. And, if you have a rack, also that.
I can understand the fender but why the rack?
Old 11-24-19, 10:32 PM
Tall_Xootr

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Move rear wheel back

Has anyone had any experience with the Surly Monkey Nuts V2.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Surly-Monkey-Nuts

I would like to move my wheel back to use a wider tire. In the past I have tried just moving it back and tightening the quick release. Though I found that it sometimes moves and causes problems with the brakes. Also I am not so good with the alignment after removing the wheel to fix a flat.

I need a better solution. So if anyone has used the Surly Monkey Nuts V2 or anything similar I would appreciate any advice you have.

Regards,
Joseph
Old 12-01-19, 11:24 PM
laffin_boy

Bikes: Ti Airborne Valkyrie - converted to 650b wheeled "all-road bike" / Vitus 992 converted to 650b / modified Swift folder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tall_Xootr
Has anyone had any experience with the Surly Monkey Nuts V2.

I would like to move my wheel back to use a wider tire. .......So if anyone has used the Surly Monkey Nuts V2 or anything similar I would appreciate any advice you have.
Yes I used them on my swift to move the axle back 5mm so I could run 451 x 41 tires. Work great and aren't "in the way" at all. Only drawback is cost for a few grams of metal.
Old 12-02-19, 01:58 AM
Tall_Xootr

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Laffin boy,
Thanks for the info. Just to clarify is this your bicycle? https://www.bikeforums.net/21027073-post3855.html
Though a really nice bike, It doesn't have the standard Xootr dropouts. Do you have another Xootr Swift or did you use them prior to modifying this bicycle? I just want to make sure before I drop $ 21 dollars on a part. Also there is no mention of the width of the Monkey Nuts V2 on the Surly website, so I don't know if they will work in the standard Xootr dropout which I think is 1 cm wide.
Thanks again,
Tall_Xootr

Last edited by Tall_Xootr; 12-02-19 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-02-19, 10:21 PM
laffin_boy

Bikes: Ti Airborne Valkyrie - converted to 650b wheeled "all-road bike" / Vitus 992 converted to 650b / modified Swift folder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Laffin boy,
Thanks for the info. Just to clarify .......It doesn't have the standard Xootr dropouts.
The rear dropouts on my bike look non-standard because I hacked off all the unnecessary "track-style" dropout that I didn't need and then made lightening holes - to save a few grams. There's only one Xootr dropout and the front of yours is the same as mine. The adapters will accurately move the axle back 5mm and unless your tires are bigger than mine it will give you the clearance you need. If not get the model that gives you 20mm instead.
Old 12-04-19, 05:44 PM
Tall_Xootr

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
laffin_boy,
Again thanks. I am looking to use wider tires. Preferably 406-47 and I need a little more space for the width. What is the widest tire you have used with your Swift?
I will check closely to see if 5 mm will do it and purchase the Monkey Nuts V1. It not I will go with the Monkey Nuts V2.

Joseph
Old 12-09-19, 06:38 PM
laffin_boy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am looking to use wider tires. Preferably 406-47
Ah, we're talking Apples & Oranges. The fact that your tires are wider is overshadowed by the fact that they're 406mm vs my 451mm. Because of this your tires will sit approx 7/8" further back in the chainstays where there's way more space. You may not need setback adapters at all.
Old 12-10-19, 03:16 PM
Paul Braithwait

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by racknid
Anyone used a Topeak BeamRack on a Swift?

If so was it a flat, A (rise), or V (drop)? Toperak says the A is for smaller frames, but the smaller wheels would seem to accommodate a V nicely.

I know that Xootr sells a rack but I have some Topeak MTX bags I really like
I think the Topeak will fit seat posts up to 31mm dia and the Swift has a 34mm post so it probably will not fit.
Old 01-07-20, 08:59 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Will the Tern Cargo rack mount on Xootr and still allow for folding. If this answered, I did not see it.
Old 01-10-20, 12:41 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

I am seeking a recommendation on a rear rack for a Xootr Swift. It must allow allow fold so it would need round tubes to secure at seat stays. It needs to have tube rails that extend further back than most racks to avoid heels strike with panniers. I have big feet. It needs to allow attachment of a light on the rear of the rack. Thanks.

Last edited by Schwinnsta; 01-10-20 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Changed to the text
Old 01-12-20, 04:14 PM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Fenders for Xootr Swift

I wonder if anyone has any fenders/mud guards suggestions for my Swift? Not only is winter coming where I live, but I'm travelling on this bike in Ireland end of this month. I expect it's gonna get wet, particularly as I'll be riding in a North-Westerly direction for much of the trip. Are there any off the peg fenders which work well on a swift frame?

Dahon Mariner fenders over 35-406 Kojaks.

Each SKS fender has only 1 pair of stays. Front: 162g. Rear: 166g.

i bought a pair of (SKS) fenders off a Dahon Mariner. A bit of finagling needed to make them fit. I didn’t want wider fenders as I’m running 35-406 Kojaks. The lady sold them as she changed to Schwalbe Big Apples so they didn’t fit anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.