Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo HO Chainsets

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Campagnolo HO Chainsets

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 04:35 PM
oldtrekguy

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400 2009 Kona Jake the Snake 1993 Bianchi Forza

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Campagnolo HO Chainsets

Hello,

I've noticed that Campy has started selling groupsets and chainsets that are labeled "HO" (Hydraulic Optimized).

They explain that it is designed for bikes with 142 mm dropouts, but they will work with rim brakes as well.

I have never seen a "HO" set in real life, so I am having a difficult time understanding how the chainline is not way off for rim brake applications with 130 mm dropouts.

Campy also claims that HO does not change the Q-factor.

Could someone explain how they achieve a decent chainline and the same Q-Factor with the same chainset?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-19, 06:05 PM
jad3675

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by oldtrekguy
Hello,

I've noticed that Campy has started selling groupsets and chainsets that are labeled "HO" (Hydraulic Optimized).

They explain that it is designed for bikes with 142 mm dropouts, but they will work with rim brakes as well.

I have never seen a "HO" set in real life, so I am having a difficult time understanding how the chainline is not way off for rim brake applications with 130 mm dropouts.

Campy also claims that HO does not change the Q-factor.

Could someone explain how they achieve a decent chainline and the same Q-Factor with the same chainset?

Thanks!
As far as I can tell from my Potenza HO groupset...it's exactly the same as a non-HO groupset. Campy likes to change names around - like in the motorcycle world, where the newest model has BNG (Bold New Graphics!) over the prior model, but nothing has changed.

Remember, 142mm is just 135mm dropout spacing with 3.5mm alignment spots for the axles.