Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Show us your Surly Long Haul Trucker

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Show us your Surly Long Haul Trucker

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 01:56 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wished
I've really enjoyed all the sharing of information on the LHT's, and the photos. I did some touring in college (early-mid-70's) and loved it, soon life and family got in the way, but recently bought a bike and used it for exercise (lost 50 pounds so far). Now that I am about to retire after 40 years of teaching I have developed a new love for bike-touring. I bought a Giant Anyroad II from my nephew, who manages a bike shop in Alabama, early last fall. I love the bike around town and daily commuting but have decided to upgrade to something more designed for touring, like the LHT, this summer when I finally really retire. LBS only caters to triathletes so they were of no help, same with nephew's shop, but this forum has kind of led me to buying a Surly. I did find a shop about 80 miles from me that is a Surly dealer, and he personally has a LHT that he has ridden many many miles. He has none in his shop except his personal one, all he sells are custom ordered. At some point I really need to look at LHT vs. Disc Trucker, which seems like same bike with different brakes (?). Also need to consider size, every time I think I have that figured out I see new info to consider. Wish I could find a dealer with some different sizes in stock, maybe some road trips this summer will help me find a shop.

The info in this thread has been invaluable, look forward to learning much more before buying this summer. Right now my students are working hard on assignments but my mind is pedaling down the road by cruising topics on here . . .
check the Eddy bike fit calculator. Enter your measurements on the site under the section for road bikes. You will get 3 groups of recomendations (Eddy Fit, French fit and one other)

Bike Fit Calculator | Find Your Bike Size | Competitive Cyclist

Use the results from the 1st one (Eddy fit) and that will give you the frame size etc. If you are going to use the Surly LHT heavily loaded for touring, I have read that you need to choose one size smaller as it will handle better.

On that google group for surly LHT bikes, there is a thread where you can check who in your area has LHT bikes and you can arrange ride and a chat with the owners, or you can post a new thread

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/SurlyLHT

Last edited by dim; 04-05-16 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-05-16, 03:24 PM
jal85

Bikes: Commuter: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Beater: '87 Trek Antelope, Road: Felt ZW5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2009 42cm frame. Mostly used for year round commuting and errand-running.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike.jpg (99.7 KB, 506 views)
Old 04-05-16, 06:26 PM
AKTed

Bikes: Norther Lyon, Ritchey Ti Cross Breakaway, Gunnar Sport, Santa Cruz Chameleon, Salsa Beargrease, Santana Arriva, 907 Fatbike, Airborne Lucky Strike, Surly LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LHT w/ Nitto Racks

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Those look like Nitto Big racks. If so, you are a man after my own heart.
Yes, they're Nitto Big racks. New 32R on the rear. The front is an older model without the cross bracing in the corners.

I didn't like how the front fit so I fabricated some brackets to lower it and bring it rearward just a bit.

Here it is unloaded.

LHT w/Nitto Big Racks by Ted, on Flickr
Old 04-05-16, 06:36 PM
AKTed

Bikes: Norther Lyon, Ritchey Ti Cross Breakaway, Gunnar Sport, Santa Cruz Chameleon, Salsa Beargrease, Santana Arriva, 907 Fatbike, Airborne Lucky Strike, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
speaking of the Brooks B17, my saddle height is the same height as my handlebars. My LBS is trying to convince me to get a B17 narrow. I'm uncertain now, as I have read that if the handlebars are the same height as the seat, the normal B17 is the one to go for, and one must tilt the front of the saddle one or two degrees? The narrow version is best when the seat height is higher than the handlebars?
You can see from my pictures that my saddle is about level with the bars, and my Brooks B17 is tilted up just a bit to be comfortable. I think it looks a bit weird, but that's the way Brooks fit.

I heard that the narrow works better for lower bars as well. But I think saddles are really just a matter of personal preference. I would start with the normal B17 and see how it feels. If you buy from Wallingford he guarantees you'll be satisfied, or you can get your money back. I've bought saddles from him, but I've never had to exercise the guarantee, so I can make no comment on how accommodating he is if the saddle truly doesn't work for you.

Last edited by AKTed; 04-06-16 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-05-16, 08:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by AKTed
Yes, they're Nitto Big racks. New 32R on the rear. The front is an older model without the cross bracing in the corners.

I didn't like how the front fit so I fabricated some brackets to lower it and bring it rearward just a bit.

Here it is unloaded.

LHT w/Nitto Big Racks by Ted, on Flickr

Uh...Sweeeeeeeeet. Is that a battery operated light on the rear? If so, would you mine telling me the make and model? I have been looking for one to attach using the whole in the rear rack.

BTW....Di did I mention that looks sweeeeeeeet!?!?
Old 04-05-16, 08:44 PM
AKTed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Uh...Sweeeeeeeeet. Is that a battery operated light on the rear? If so, would you mine telling me the make and model? I have been looking for one to attach using the whole in the rear rack.
Thanks. It is a battery rear light, Busch & Muller 4DToplight Senso I got from SJS Cycles in the UK. It works fine (and I didn't want to run a wire all the way back from the dynamo) but it is sort of big and clunky. And it doesn't flash, it's just a solid light. Bush & Muller have a myriad of different models so I may look for something else that is a bit more elegant (although it is a LHT right?).
Old 04-05-16, 09:48 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by AKTed
Thanks. It is a battery rear light, Busch & Muller 4DToplight Senso I got from SJS Cycles in the UK. It works fine (and I didn't want to run a wire all the way back from the dynamo) but it is sort of big and clunky. And it doesn't flash, it's just a solid light. Bush & Muller have a myriad of different models so I may look for something else that is a bit more elegant (although it is a LHT right?).
Wayne at:TheTouringStore.com, Ortlieb Panniers & Packs, Tubus Racks, Lone Peak Packs carries this light. My wife nad I hav been using them for sevral ywears with good service. Blinking lights are not legal in many European countries.
Old 04-05-16, 11:48 PM
rawly old

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's my LHT, found the bare naked frame in a roadside ditch. Have since added
40 year old French wheels, a 50 year old Brooks B-72, & a bunch of stuff from a box
in my carport. (why would anyone pay that kinda money for down tube shifters?)
The 26" Surlys look suspiciously like '60s Varsity frames.

Attached Images
006.jpg (104.3 KB, 280 views)
Old 04-06-16, 08:44 AM
Gadgets4grls

Bikes: Surly Disc LHT customized, Fuji Tread, GT Zaskar 9R Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So here’s my heavily customized LHT affectionately called “The Mule.” Bet you can guess why.

She started life as a as a 2015 disc LHT 56cm / 700C. Well she's still a 56cm / 700C but not much else is the same.

Thing that connect me to her:
Salsa Cowbell 2 drop bars
Profile Design T1+ Aerobars
Redshift dual position seat post
Brooks B-17 saddle

Pieces that make her go/stop:
Schlumpf Cargo bottom bracket / cranks with 34/50 chain rings, for the lowest of low gearing 9 gear inches
Shimano Ultegra Di2 front/rear derailleurs
Shimano STI shifters on drop bars and TT Brifters on Aero bars
TRP HY-RD brakes running sintered pads with Yokozuna compressionless housings and upsized rotors rear 180 front 203
Shimano M8000 40-11T cassette running with a Goatlink "Road link" adapter
Wheels are Phil Woods touring 36 spoke with DT Swiss TH540 running Schwalbe Marathon Plus summer / Marathon Winter studded when icy.

Bits for carry lots of STUFF:
Surly Nice Racks front/rear
Ortlieb bike backer plus panniers front and rear
Arkel Tailrider trunk on the front rack.
Bob Yak Plus trailer with Greenspeed rack, kitty litter panniers and cat carrier. This was just the trial cat carrier I have the replacement but need to build a base so it will sit on the Bob. Hopefully new pictures to follow soon

Bits that take electrons:
Garmin Edge 1000 / Vaira radar (on seat post)
Kawell 18 watt off road vehicle led light bar under Tailrider
6 watt Red Strobe Tail light set to slow flash
GoPro Hero 4 facing forward
GoPro Hero 2 facing backwards (left hand side)
LoudBicycle Horn

Bit that feeds all those electron hungry bits:

So for all of the electronics I need a lot of power. Rather than having a dozen different chargers I ended up built my own central power center. Inside the Trailrider I build a frame that houses a 12.8V 20 amp hour LiFePo4 battery. I decided to go with the automotive voltage standard of 12 volt as being easier. I have a 5 port “car” usb adapter which the Garmin/GoPro are plugged into. The “vehicle” lights run off of this battery as well.

Right now that means when I get home I have a single connector to plug in to charge everything. When touring I have a solar charge controller and a 50watt solar panel that will help keep things charged with the option to parallel another panel for more power when parked. I’m considering putting a dynamo hub on the Bob for a secondary charging source but haven’t decided on which one just yet. That is a project that is still in the works.

Some are probably wondering why I need so much power. I’m going to end up replacing the “dumb” switch/relay power center with an Arduino, DIY microprocessor, “smart” controller. It will monitor power usage and power coming in through the solar panel. This will give me real time usage, capacity. It will also end up being what controls the lights on my bike, ie flashing patterns and alike.

The biggest driving force that got me going in this direction is this little guy.

Hi! My name's Kiwi and I'm spoiled ROTTEN!

He is my constant companion. Commutes with me every day and on all my other bicycle trips as well. Since I’m riding winter and summer his carrier
needs heating/cooling so that runs off of this battery as well. Right now I’m his manual thermostat but the Arduino will take over that job once I get it up and working.

As for the cats/trailer that my Wife’s fault and another long story.

Hope you enjoyed the pics

Gadgets

This is what pours out when you add equal portions of ADD, OCD and GEEK into a blender and puree.

Last edited by Gadgets4grls; 04-06-16 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-06-16, 11:24 AM
AKTed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Yes, that is a nice light. It doesn't have the senso feature though (turns on/off automatically), if one wants that.
Old 04-06-16, 01:33 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Gadgets4grls
So here’s my heavily customized LHT affectionately called “The Mule.”

"You see my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him."
Old 04-06-16, 01:58 PM
dim

I'm really enjoying my bike now and am the point where I don't really want to use it as a daily commuter as I want to keep it for a very long time and only use it on special occasions

I told my wife and she said: ' I knew it! I suppose that you want another bike now!'

I will use my other roadbike as my daily commuter (in the meantime until I upgrade) ... The LHT is a keeper

I will take the LHT for a nice long ride on the weekend
Old 04-07-16, 01:54 PM
dim

here is the report from my LBS on my LHT ....

After looking over your bicycle, there are a few things not right.

The rear wheel is out of true.

Loose bolts around handlebar and stem.

Front derailleur is to low, and touching chainring.

Also the left hand shifter loose and falling out of bars, and has ‘chewed' the cable, resulting in a bent cable, a new one will be needed.

All things considered. A service and inner gear cable would make your bike happy.
------------------------

It's all sorted now and luckily it only cost me £25 for the repairs. bear in mind that this is a brand new bike, so it pays to get it properly inspected by a 3rd party. The guy who serviced my bike is in my opinion the best bike mechanic in my area, and people from far away bring their Pinarello's, De Rosas etc to him for servicing. He also owns a LHT

I will be taking my LHT to him again in a month for it's first full service (this is the most important service when buying a new bike)

I won't complain or demand a £25 refund from the bike shop where I bought it from (it's only £25 and the guy was very pleasant and delivered on time)

Last edited by dim; 04-07-16 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-07-16, 04:22 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robow
"You see my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him."
Any chance you'ld share your gear list?? That looks like a whole lot of stuff.
Old 04-07-16, 08:06 PM
Gadgets4grls

Bikes: Surly Disc LHT customized, Fuji Tread, GT Zaskar 9R Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Squeezebox,
Not ignoring you, just give me a bit to write it up. As I'm going to be busy for the next couple of days.
Gadgets
Old 04-07-16, 08:20 PM
squid22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
IMG_2136.jpg (97.0 KB, 504 views)
Old 04-07-16, 08:26 PM
squid22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
IMG_2135.jpg (99.7 KB, 499 views)
Old 04-10-16, 01:42 AM
dim

did my first proper ride yesterday and in total I cycled a total of 54 km (33 miles)

My 'cruising speed/average speed' on a relatively long stretch of 14.1 km (8.7 miles) and where there are only 4 stops with long stretches on relatively flat road and with very little wind was 26 km/hr (16 mph) ... a fair bit slower than my other road bike, but I'm very pleased.

It was a very smooth ride. I had several positive comments from other riders (these LHT's are not very often seen here in the UK)

I need to change the saddle though and will get the Brooks B17 Narrow on Friday
Old 04-10-16, 02:31 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Squeezebox,
Not ignoring you, just give me a bit to write it up. As I'm going to be busy for the next couple of days.
Gadgets
Hey!! Thanks, really! I'll work on modifying my backpacking list to cycling. Should we say for warm weather not cold weather?
Old 04-10-16, 05:09 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Bob Yak Plus trailer with Greenspeed rack, kitty litter panniers and cat carrier. This was just the trial cat carrier I have the replacement but need to build a base so it will sit on the Bob. Hopefully new pictures to follow soon
Have you taken your cat to the vet in that cat carrier, whilst using your bike?

I would imagine that the cat would think you are torturing it, putting it in there and then going on a bumpy ride?
Old 04-10-16, 05:11 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by robow
I no longer own it but it did work as advertised. Solid frame, almost expedition like in nature.

What size frame and wheels are they?

To guess I would say 26inch wheels on a size 60?
Old 04-10-16, 05:12 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by dim
I will change the saddle to a black Brooks B17 .... there are better quality leather saddles to the Brooks,
Which ones?
Old 04-10-16, 05:29 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Which ones?
Gilles Berthoud is on a different level, but also a lot more expensive
Old 04-10-16, 05:40 AM
dim

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Which ones?
my LBS has convinced me to get the Brooks B17 narrow version.
Old 04-10-16, 05:42 AM
dim

Originally Posted by elcruxio
Gilles Berthoud is on a different level, but also a lot more expensive
I had a very close look at those, but Brooks has a cult status and from what I have read, if you can get on with it, it's very comfortable

Gilles Berthoud is very good and has more water resistance, but I will get the brooks seat cover and try to avoid rain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.