Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss Club

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Weight Loss Club

Old 07-08-02, 08:00 AM
CycleMON

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only get to ride on weekends because of my schedule; work and school. Is there a good way for me lose weight with this kind of schedule? I'm on the move from 6:00 am 'til 9:00 pm.

Please help.

Thank you.
Old 07-08-02, 09:34 AM
Inkwolf
Grounded

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any exercise is good...but have you considered biking to work and/or school?
Old 07-10-02, 07:19 AM
CycleMON

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Inkwolf
Any exercise is good...but have you considered biking to work and/or school?
Yes, I don't have a place to lock my bike. I have one more quarter to go, I'll try to locate a place to leave my bike.

It's like my sig says; I need to ride more!
Old 07-10-02, 12:41 PM
Andy Dreisch

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by me
I'm 220 and 6'4". ... I'd like to get to 210 one day.
Weighed in at 217 today. Getting there !!!
Old 07-10-02, 01:25 PM
deliriou5
It tastes like burning!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'm having a lot more success with less effort biking than I did walking. Especially (ahem) in areas I needed it most. (Down two jeans sizes. And lost another 5 pounds.)

BTW, anyone else tried Wendy's new salads? I had the Mandarin Chicken and the BLT Chicken, and both were so good I was never even tempted to use the dressing packet.
Man those salads are great... but don't be fooled... they are REALLY fatty!
Old 07-10-02, 05:21 PM
Inkwolf
Grounded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by deliriou5

Man those salads are great... but don't be fooled... they are REALLY fatty!
G'wan, how can they make a 'really fatty' salad if you don't put dressing on it (and there's no cheese)? Are those chicken cubes soaked in oil? Do they deep-fry the lettuce?

If you've got info on the nutritional values of the new salads, could you post a link, please?
Old 07-11-02, 03:47 PM
Bikes-N-Drums
Skin-Pounder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't own a scale at home, but I saw this thread so it inspired me to see where I was at. Lost 20 pounds since May 1.

I got mail! YAY!
Old 07-12-02, 07:08 AM
deliriou5
It tastes like burning!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cyclists tend to have pretty lean and toned bodies after training for a while, but we all know that the fat around your waist area tends to stay there, even for those of us in the best shape. you know what is a GREAT way to get rid of that impossible-to-get-rid-of fat in your gut? hula hoop! My sister bought one yesterday, I did it for about 30 minutes, and my abs are REALLY sore. try it out!
Old 07-12-02, 10:53 AM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know I could never wear one of those ab-baring triathlete suits. I just don't have the washboard abs. Mine are more like the laundry. I'm just really short waisted- even if I did have washboard abs you wouldn't be able to see them. I'm just not built that way.
Old 07-12-02, 10:59 AM
Gary W. Graley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by wabbit
I know I could never wear one of those ab-baring triathlete suits. I just don't have the washboard abs. Mine are more like the laundry...
Like me, no Six pack here, more like a half a keg...

But I'm working on it, the Keg is about empty though!!!
Now onto definition!
G2
Old 07-18-02, 03:02 AM
Don Johnson
The Duke of Furl

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
04/01/02...260#
07/01/02...220#

Two Rudimentary Rules:
1) Calories in < Calories out
2) You gotta move.

My regimen has been: no red meat, very little other meat (chicken or fish), lots of veggies, 7 to 8L of water a day, 100 different ways to cook Top Ramen, a really good Heffeweizen after a good, long ride and finally "20 miles a day to keep the doctor away".

The best piece of equipment I have purchased has to be the heart rate monitor, not for things like a racer would use one for (interval training and such) but mostly to let me know when I am slacking off when on a ride. I have noticed that as I get lighter and faster the heart rate is slowing down to keep the same pace. With the monitor I can tell when I need to step up the effort to keep the heart rate above a certain level to maximize fat burn without exceeding my calculated MHR.

It certainly feels good to be able to put pants on in the morning when they are still buttoned and zipped...soon I'm gonna have to get some new duds.

DJ
Old 07-21-02, 09:23 AM
vlad

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
In 1992 I lost seven inches in the waist; and from 297 to 260 in about nine months. It was easy. I was never hungry. I am still on this diet and feel wonderful. I am 6-3 275 (sigh) and will be 70 this fall. I try to ride daily -- in summer usually twelves miles between 0600 and 0800 thanks to the ferocious heat and humidity of East Texas.

here is food for thought, all puns intended

(repost)

page 22 Let's eat right to keep fit by Adelle Davis

a similar study was made at Harvard University by Dr Thorn and co-workers who determined blood sugar levels for six hours after meals high in carbohydrates.

A high-carbohydrate breakfast consisted of orange juice, bacon, toast, jelly, a packaged cereal and coffee, both with sugar and milk. The blood sugar rose rapidly but fell to an extremely low level, causing fatigue and inefficiency. A packaged cereal eaten only with whipping cream for the high-fat breakfast, after which the blood sugar inceased slightly, then remained at the fasting level throughout the morning.

The high protein meal consisted of skim milk, lean ground beef, and cottage cheese; the blood sugar rose to the high level of 120 milligrams and remained there throughout the entire following six hours.

To determine the effects of different types of food on energy production, metabolism tests were taken at fcrequent intervals. The metabolism, or energy production, increased only slightly after the meals high in fat or carbohydrate. After the high-protein meal, however , the metabolism rose more quickly than did the blood sugar and stayed high throughout the entire six hour study period.

p 23 sugar, cereals, hotcakes fruit, fruit juice quickly changes to sugar during digestion . in minutes blood sugar may increase from 80 to 155 milligrams ..stimulates pancreas to pour forth insulin; the insulin in turn causes the liver and muscles to withdraw sugar and store it as a form of sugar, or glycogen or change it into fat, thus preventing it being lost in urine. The tremendous amounts of sugar defeat the purpsoe for which sugar is needed -- to produce enegy efficiently. Too much sugar is withdrawn due to the oversupply of insulin; the result, ironically, is fatigue

p 24 in studies mentioned, efficiency for three hours was produced by only 22 grams or more of protein. Meals furnishing 55 grams protein sustained a high level of energy and a high metabolism for six hours afterward.

p35 "Let's eat right to keep fit" Adelle Davis

When you eat more protein than your body can use immediately, your liver withdraws amino acids from your blood and changes them temporarily into protein storage. As your cells use amino acids the supply is replenished from the breakdown of stored protein. As long as your diet is adeduate, the amount of amino acids in your blood is thereby kept relatively constant.

If you ignore your health to the extent of eating insufficient protein, the stored protein is quickly exhausted. From that time on, the less important body tissues are destroyed to free amino acids needed to rebuild more vital structures. Such a process can go on month after month, year after year. Your body continues to function after a fashion. Useen abnormalities set in because blood proteins, hormones, enzymes, and antibodies can no longer be formed in amounts needed. Muscles lose tone, wrinkles appear, aging creeps on , and you, my dear, are going to pot.

It is possible, though not probable, that you may eat more protein than your body needs. After the storage depots are filled, the leftover protein is changed by the liver into glucose and fat, the nitrogen being excreted in urine; the sugar and fat may be used immediately to produce energy or may be stored as fat. Proteins are also used to produce energy whenever too few other foods are eaten to produce calorie requirments.

Old 07-21-02, 09:36 AM
vlad

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
see also

Calories don't Count by Dr Herman Taller MD. It worked for me.

Having read this book, published in 1961, one could almost believe that it is the basis of Dr Adkins Miracle Diet.

https://www.iamm.com/eat-fat.html

Old 07-24-02, 11:57 AM
Inkwolf
Grounded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, after reading what Vlad had to say, I decided to try switching to low carbs and high protein amd give it a try. This is based on only one day, of course, so it isn't anything definite or tested....

On the down side, I felt tired, cranky, and irritable (though I certainly didn't have any problem biking--the energy was there when I needed it.)

On the up side, I dropped 3 pounds overnight.

Guess I'll give it a few more days testing....
Old 07-24-02, 08:42 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
People who have used the Atkins high-protein, low-carb, "eat all you want as long as it's not carbs" diet, have one thing in common: the vast majority of them gain their weight back.

I advocate a "normal" diet and vigorous exercise. This is a lifestyle that you can maintain all your life.

The Atkins diet cannot be maintained indefinitely. It's not healthy.

Caveat emptor.
Old 07-24-02, 08:48 PM
Gary W. Graley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by LittleBigMan
People who have used the Atkins high-protein, low-carb, "eat all you want as long as it's not carbs" diet, have one thing in common: the vast majority of them gain their weight back.

I advocate a "normal" diet and vigorous exercise. This is a lifestyle that you can maintain all your life.

The Atkins diet cannot be maintained indefinitely. It's not healthy.

Caveat emptor.
I saw on some News Network reporting show that spoke about this and the thing that hit me was that they reported about the Atkins Diet the fact that;

People didn't Lose weight BECAUSE THEY ate only MEAT and FATTY stuff...

The LOST the weight BECAUSE they didn't eat all the Carbs, breads Pastas and the like...they just HAPPENED to be eating the MEAT instead, so as LittleBigman stated, people can't seem to stick to that diet, I advocate to just cut the Carbs as much as you can, I quit eating all that late night Toast! and to eat what you know is good for you, I recommend that book by Harvey Diamond, Fit for Life II, changed my life outlook and down almost 50 pounds, maintaining that now for just over a year, feel good and riding faster!

G2
Old 07-24-02, 09:29 PM
Andy Dreisch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People who have used the Atkins high-protein, low-carb, "eat all you want as long as it's not carbs" diet, have one thing in common: the vast majority of them gain their weight back... I advocate a "normal" diet and vigorous exercise. This is a lifestyle that you can maintain all your life.... The Atkins diet cannot be maintained indefinitely. It's not healthy....Caveat emptor.
LBM, are you sitting down?

I agree !!

My experience with workmates who all religiously followed the Atkins diet was exactly as you say: they didn't change their exercise habits (they couldn't -- no carbs for energy), went off the diet eventually, and immediately puffed up.

Against immense peer pressure I instead increased my biking and running and ate pretty much the same ... more even.

Some years later I'm down about 30 pounds. They're not.
Old 07-25-02, 07:08 AM
Inkwolf
Grounded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not on the Atkins diet, though, I've just increased my protein and reduced carbs. I've always been on the carnivorous side, anyway, so I feel a lot more satisfied eating some low-fat cottage cheese and a chicken leg or two for breakfast than a bowl of cereal.
Old 07-25-02, 10:52 AM
Don Johnson
The Duke of Furl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[/B]

This pretty much sums up my philosophy now. The exception would be that I have cut red meat out of the diet mostly because there is leaner (and in my opinion more healthful) meat to be had.

Other aspects that I have become more conscious of are serving sizes and what each single-serving contains as far as fat, protein, calories, carbs, etc. for any given food. That knowledge alone has helped to curb the calorie and fat intake which aids in the pursuit of a healthier diet.
Old 07-25-02, 10:56 AM
Gary W. Graley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One day I was having lunch with a friend from work and was going to order a nice big meat Cachata...(sp) but saw this guy sitting at a table that should have taken two chairs with a shirt 3 sizes too small and had rings around his body like Saturn!

NOW that made me change my order! Stopping to think is a good thing and needed...
G2
Old 07-25-02, 03:29 PM
Andy Dreisch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only real dietary change has been to change the order of my meal. I eat fruits and vegetables first, then the meats, etc. I still eat until full as can be, but you tend to at less "bad stuff" this way.
Old 07-26-02, 08:11 AM
Inkwolf
Grounded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone's wondering how the higher-protein thing is going--after that first day, I'm back to holding steady, same as when I was eating higher carbs. It doesn't seem to have actually made any real difference, and I'm starting to think that the tiredness and the sudden weight drop that first day were due to totally other factors.

Still, not too bad...I've lost 25 pounds now, since I started biking.
Old 07-26-02, 09:52 AM
Andy Dreisch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...I've lost 25 pounds now, since I started biking.
Wow!! That's great.
Old 07-31-02, 10:19 AM
Don Johnson
The Duke of Furl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An update of my progress with a few more details than before:

04/01/02: started riding more religiously and keeping track of some numbers.
Wt: 260 (pathetic, but true.)

07/31/02:
Wt: 219
waist 4.5" smaller
chest 3" smaller
neck 2.5" smaller
Miles ridden (that are accounted for in commuting): 1026.5
Avg. MPH: 17.5
MHR increased by 3 BPM (or 3 BPM slower for the same level of effort as on 04/01/02).
51.3 gallons of gas saved; about $75.00. That's not really a lot of cash but if it prevents a quad by-pass in the future, I guess, as Visa says, "It's priceless."
Daily round trip commute only increased by about 35 minutes (which includes getting the bike out of and back into the truck, getting shoes on, etc).

Any other progress reports out there? Do we need a new thread?

DJ
Old 07-31-02, 10:50 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Okay - I'll bite.

Have looked at and read about the "Zone" diet - basically less carbs, good quality protein (fish, fowl, etc.), good quality carbs when you eat them (whole grains, good fruits), and good quality oils - canola, olive oil, avocado. PLUS exercise (which is absolutely no problem for me - I love to exercise). This diet is not that for off of how we always eat, except I am really watching those empty carbs, and doing that pretty well.

Have upped my biking due to summer and I can. Like 35 miles yesterday and a 20 miler this am, with more to follow this pm, with wife.

Have lost about 10 pounds (now at 229) these last 2.5 weeks or so.

Blood pressure down markedly was 113/67 yesterday - the lowest in a lloonngg time - (also new BP medication, but mostly due to loss of weight).

Looking and feeling better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.