Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Diamondback Haanjo 1 Vs Fuji 1.9 absolute

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 03:48 PM
rajesh1136

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Experts and Senior folks, i started another thread and was debating low cost bike choices. Got involved and thought i should get something around $450

Fuji 1.9 absolute vs DB Haanjo 1

What you think. Haanjo 1 $450 for me(corporate discount) and no tax.

Fuji i have to get in local store + tax. No deals. But 450 no tax

Specs wise Haanjo is superior. Please let me know what you think.
Old 05-01-18, 04:01 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
The Haanjo 1 appears to be more expensive than the Fuji 1.9 and is actually more of a road bike than the Fuji. Also, the Fuji comes in 27.5 and 29 versions. I really like the Haanjo but I found it in the above $1000. bracket while I found the Fuji for around $350. Not really apples and apples. Bikes or price brackets. I would love to test ride the Haanjo, it looks like a bike I could really be happy on. The Fuji looks like just another low end but adequate bike for recreational riding.
These are just my 2 cents worth on the subject.
Old 05-01-18, 06:41 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
The Haanjo is only a 1x9. Low gear is a...well...I don't know. They don't say what the chain ring is. I would try to find that out before getting serious about the Haanjo -- if you have hills or bike a lot at low speed, the 1x9 could be a drawback. I would personally feel better about it if the cassette range was something like 10-40. An 11-36 doesn't have a whole lot of range to have only one chain ring up front. That's only my opinion -- if your cycling environment is mostly urban, then it could be a good thing for you.

I'd absolutely recommend riding both before buying. If you like both equally, then buy what your heart says. At some level, you probably have a desire or a pull in one way or the other.
Old 05-01-18, 11:10 PM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd think about cost versus price.

If you're a new rider, the bet here is you're going to find the LBS (assuming they are friendly and well established) is a better value in the long run - in fact you're already seeing it in the ability to get a test ride - which is free at the LBS and Diamondback can't provide at any cost. You're not getting a deal on the Diamondback versus "no deal" on the Fuji really - that corporate discount is so widely available that it's basically their default retail.

Now, all that said it sounds like I might be rooting against the Diamondback which would be wrong. They build solid bikes. Personally, I find the branding is a little over the top on some frames but generally the component sets are good value for the money. I have two friends that own different grades of the Haanjo and they love them. On the other hand, they both are also completely comfortable wrenching on their bikes - if you're not, that's something to consider.

Good luck with your choice - the best thing about an entry level bike is it will help you learn what you really like... so sooner or later you'll be looking to trade-up or join the N+1 crowd...

Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-02-18, 01:02 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
If I'm looking at the right bikes, the DB stem has a 7 degree rise while the Fuji stem has a 20 degree rise. I would imagine this would make a pretty big difference in the feel of how they ride. Not sure which you prefer, but it would certainly help for you to ride them (or others with similar geometry) before making your choice.
Old 05-02-18, 10:43 PM
rajesh1136

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AU Tiger
If I'm looking at the right bikes, the DB stem has a 7 degree rise while the Fuji stem has a 20 degree rise. I would imagine this would make a pretty big difference in the feel of how they ride. Not sure which you prefer, but it would certainly help for you to ride them (or others with similar geometry) before making your choice.
Local bike store dont have Diamondback. im not able to give a try. Not sure about the geometry. I will research more.
Old 05-03-18, 07:58 AM
AU Tiger

Originally Posted by rajesh1136
Local bike store dont have Diamondback. im not able to give a try. Not sure about the geometry. I will research more.
By geometry, I'm talking about the position the bike naturally puts your body in... upright, slightly leaning forward, or very aggressively leaning forward.
Old 05-06-18, 09:46 PM
rajesh1136

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the diamond back and tried it. Going to try fuji in local store tomorrow .

Haanjo is very good. But just 9 gears no front derailleur. Not sure if that's disadvantage. Shifts well and lite. Little wide handlebar for me.
Old 05-07-18, 10:35 AM
rajesh1136

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The Haanjo is only a 1x9. Low gear is a...well...I don't know. They don't say what the chain ring is. I would try to find that out before getting serious about the Haanjo -- if you have hills or bike a lot at low speed, the 1x9 could be a drawback. I would personally feel better about it if the cassette range was something like 10-40. An 11-36 doesn't have a whole lot of range to have only one chain ring up front. That's only my opinion -- if your cycling environment is mostly urban, then it could be a good thing for you.

I'd absolutely recommend riding both before buying. If you like both equally, then buy what your heart says. At some level, you probably have a desire or a pull in one way or the other.
how important is front derailleur ? i got DB Haango tried it. Going to try Fuji. Not sure if the fit or anything my palm pains and gets numb while riding.
Old 05-07-18, 03:07 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by rajesh1136
how important is front derailleur ?
Having the gearing range offered by multiple front chain rings is important to me, but it may or may not be to you. My speed averages from just above walking pace to about 20-22 mph at the fastest. I like my low gear to be about 20-25 gear inches and my highest gear to be at least 90 gear inches. If you have a 42 tooth single chain ring, that requires a cassette to have a large sprocket of about 50 teeth and a small sprocket of about 13 teeth. Cassettes like this don't really exist. Or, a 38 tooth single chain ring would require a cassette with a large sprocket of 40 teeth and a small sprocket of 11 teeth. That combination does exist, but it requires some trickery with the rear derailleur and it doesn't come standard on the Haanjo. I could do a single chain ring without a front derailleur, but only if I could have such a wide range cassette on it. I wouldn't be too interested in a stock Haanjo.
Old 05-07-18, 09:31 PM
rajesh1136

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having the gearing range offered by multiple front chain rings is important to me, but it may or may not be to you. My speed averages from just above walking pace to about 20-22 mph at the fastest. I like my low gear to be about 20-25 gear inches and my highest gear to be at least 90 gear inches. If you have a 42 tooth single chain ring, that requires a cassette to have a large sprocket of about 50 teeth and a small sprocket of about 13 teeth. Cassettes like this don't really exist. Or, a 38 tooth single chain ring would require a cassette with a large sprocket of 40 teeth and a small sprocket of 11 teeth. That combination does exist, but it requires some trickery with the rear derailleur and it doesn't come standard on the Haanjo. I could do a single chain ring without a front derailleur, but only if I could have such a wide range cassette on it. I wouldn't be too interested in a stock Haanjo.
Thank you. So i went to Local Bike Store (Performance bike) and checked the following

1. https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-2018-31-8559
2. https://www.performancebike.com/shop...d-2018-31-8662
3. https://www.performancebike.com/shop...1-7078-mnv-054

I really like the price on villager. rides well. Comfort. Good upgraded components for the same price as fuji. What you think.
Old 05-08-18, 05:56 AM
hokiefyd 

I personally like the Breezer and the Fuji Traverse (I usually like the dual sport type bikes for my type of riding). These types of bikes usually have higher head tubes (due to the suspension), which provides for a more upright riding position, which I prefer. That's just my preference; you need to make your own assessment of the bike, of course. You did mention earlier some wrist pain with the Haanjo -- perhaps a more upright riding position would be good for you.

Materially, the Breezer looks like a good value, and possibly a better value than the Fuji. The components appear to be a higher spec for a similar price. Neither the Breezer nor the Fuji state that the fork has a lockout. A lockout would be nice to have, to keep the fork solid if you want it to be. I wouldn't say that it's necessary, but it would be nice to have. One of my bikes (Trek Verve) does not have a lockout, but my Giant Roam does, and I have enjoyed using it both unlocked and locked.
Old 05-08-18, 06:06 AM
rajesh1136

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally like the Breezer and the Fuji Traverse (I usually like the dual sport type bikes for my type of riding). These types of bikes usually have higher head tubes (due to the suspension), which provides for a more upright riding position, which I prefer. That's just my preference; you need to make your own assessment of the bike, of course. You did mention earlier some wrist pain with the Haanjo -- perhaps a more upright riding position would be good for you.

Materially, the Breezer looks like a good value, and possibly a better value than the Fuji. The components appear to be a higher spec for a similar price. Neither the Breezer nor the Fuji state that the fork has a lockout. A lockout would be nice to have, to keep the fork solid if you want it to be. I wouldn't say that it's necessary, but it would be nice to have. One of my bikes (Trek Verve) does not have a lockout, but my Giant Roam does, and I have enjoyed using it both unlocked and locked.
thanks I will find out. I liked those as well. Absolute was little bumpy. Ordered villager. store didn't have my size for 3. I tested villager 5 for frame size.
Old 05-08-18, 01:39 PM
rajesh1136

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
The Haanjo 1 appears to be more expensive than the Fuji 1.9 and is actually more of a road bike than the Fuji. Also, the Fuji comes in 27.5 and 29 versions. I really like the Haanjo but I found it in the above $1000. bracket while I found the Fuji for around $350. Not really apples and apples. Bikes or price brackets. I would love to test ride the Haanjo, it looks like a bike I could really be happy on. The Fuji looks like just another low end but adequate bike for recreational riding.
These are just my 2 cents worth on the subject.
Now i can post links yay.

This is fuji Fuji Bikes | Absolute 1.9

This is Haanjo https://www.diamondback.com/catalog/.../category/151/
Old 05-11-18, 09:26 AM
AU Tiger

The Breezer looks like a good bike for the price. The specs don't state the cassette and chainring sizes, but I'm guessing with it being a Deore 9-speed the gearing will be more than adequate. Better specs combined with the fact that you liked it when you test rode it should convince you. Get it and enjoy riding it!
Old 09-01-18, 08:19 AM
AbsoluteMike

Bikes: Fuji absolute 1.9

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the traverse 1.7 it's an awesome bike . I did trade it in for an absolute 1.9 last week because I wasn't riding the gravel at all and it makes more sense for my riding to have a Ridgid front fork