Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What not to skimp on for a bike touring trip?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What not to skimp on for a bike touring trip?

Old 08-13-18, 09:49 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
Curious what you do for bike security when inside eating meals, or the Y to clean up? I mean that's an awful nice rig you got there.
Honestly, while traveling, a combination cable lock because I'm afraid I'll lose my keys.
When in Boston, ... I use a steel commuter bike and a Bulldog Beast U-Lock. I use the same chain on my motorcycle.

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I'd spend the money on a nice tent, especially if trying to bikepack and doybly so if any rain were in the forecast. Make sure you try out your sleeping pad a few nights before leaving, mine worked fine on the trial outing but blew up after three nights of use. Sleeping bag depends on the temps and your personal tolerances, remember summer nights in northern US can still dip down into the 50s and 40s, but you can likely get away with a fleece or such blanket.

For electronics, I find I can go a few days on a 15000mah battery pack. It sounds like you have a couple days of hotels in there you can recharge it overnight.
Thanks for the recommendation on a battery pack. I was contemplating between Solar and Dynamo hubs but you're right. I don't need that fancy gimmicky stuff just to keep my front and rear blinky, garmin, and phone charged. Ordered a simple portable charger off Amazon.

I've got a sleeping pad and tent ordered and I'm looking at sleeping bags and quilts now. I didn't expect ultralight down sleeping bags to cost nearly $300 ... There are cheaper heavier synthetic bags out there...
Old 08-13-18, 10:01 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
From your initial question of "do I need a sleeping bag", it gives the impression that you haven't camped before, so as others have suggested, do an over nighter to get an idea what you are comfortable with ( or uncomfortable with) for a given temperature range, and just be realistic of what temps you could get on the trip.

Re tires, I've toured on 28 slicks a lot, going back to the start of kevlar flat protection back in the early 90s, and recently for many years have ridden on gatorskins, tougher than grand prixs. Honestly you'd be better off with a tougher tire , but again, this is up to you and what experience you
have riding different tires .
Have fun trying out different packing lists and what fits in your bags.
Don't forget, as someone mentioned, to use common sense with taping properly friction points on your bike for the bags. You can't undo the sanding away of a nice frame from a strap moving back and forth a lot. Bikepacking sites will have good suggestions of what tapes work best.

When are you planning to do this again?
I've never gone camping with a sleeping pad and bag before. I sleep on tarp and grass with fleece blankets sometimes but usually do hammock and tarp with mosquito nets. I assume I won't always be able to find trees on a bike packing trip.
Old 08-13-18, 10:23 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
ps, Ive ridden from Montreal to Boston, so more north, but Im sure you'll have as nice riding areas, especially the further east you get. Pretty area as you know.
I'd love to do the Bos to Mon ride. Circle the perimeter of Montreal and Laval.
Last year I took a trip to Montreal (via car but I brought my bike) and climbed up the Camillien Houde / Mt. Royale. Truly an amazing sight of the city from the top at night.
Old 08-13-18, 10:41 AM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For the sleeping bag, try to figure out the lowest overnight temperature you can expect, then get a bag that is designed to be comfortable at that temperature. If you get a bag that is designed for a lower temperature than your expected low, you'll spend more money and carry more weight and bulk than you need to. A super lightweight down bag is nice, but good down is expensive, and cheap down doesn't last. Depending on temperatures, something like the REI Helio Sack or the Marmot Nano Wave would be good for summer temperatures without breaking the bank. If you want to make the investment in down, the Marmot Atom, the Sea to Summit Traveler or the Sea to Summit Spark are good super light down bags.

For the sleeping mat, get the Therma Rest Z-Lite Sol closed cell foam pad. The short version is plenty for summer camping. It's bulky, but it's cheap, light, and it will never spring a leak on you in the middle of the night like the inflatable pads.

If you're comfortable sleeping under a tarp, then a tarp and a ground sheet can save a little space and weight. Staying dry when it's raining and windy won't be easy, though, and the really lightweight tarps are surprisingly expensive. The REI Passage 1 is a cheap, sturdy, one man tent, but by modern standards it's a little heavy. The REI Quarter Dome 1 is a pound lighter, just as sturdy, but costs twice as much (notice a pattern here?).
Old 08-13-18, 06:26 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you drink craft beer, I'll bet you'll pass a few great breweries...might map some out if it's your thing!
Old 08-13-18, 06:53 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Panza
I've decided on my 900 mile route. On 7 out of the 10 days I'll be sleeping outside.
My longest previous trip was 600 miles over 4 days (with lodging on each night.)....
maybe consider credit carding it this time? that's heap big mileage ... assuming 9 full centuries with one break day.

you'll be riding late in the afternoon/evening in areas with limited camping availability. gotta find a campground or a safe/suitable stealth camping site, set up the tent, make dinner/breakfast, take down the tent....

stay in motels this time....no need to carry tent or sleeping bag or cooking gear..........go faster in the hills.
Old 08-13-18, 09:58 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I'd love to do the Bos to Mon ride. Circle the perimeter of Montreal and Laval.
Last year I took a trip to Montreal (via car but I brought my bike) and climbed up the Camillien Houde / Mt. Royale. Truly an amazing sight of the city from the top at night.
One could ride the '74 Montreal Worlds course that went over Mt Royale. I've been to Montreal several times, always fun & the locals are surprisingly friendly.
Old 08-14-18, 06:34 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I don't/won't skimp on anything I take, and I do not take a single thing I don't need. That said, I find comfort in cleanliness and clean water. As long as I got some food in my belly, I'm typically a happy bloke.
Old 08-27-18, 12:38 PM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bike Weight Unloaded: 22.5lbs
Loaded Weight: 50lbs with cargo.

Fully loaded, it weighs a bunch, but still much less than the 60-70lb touring rigs my friends use.
It feels odd to stand up and pedal because the weight of the bike makes it want to pull to the side when I lean the bike.
Hills aren't definitely not as fun anymore.

8lbs Electronics (Handlebar Bag)
  • Garmin Edge
  • iPhone
  • Camera
  • Oxbow light front + spare battery
  • Rear Blinky
  • Bontrager Flare R x2
  • Wires (3USB 2.0 to Micro, 1 Lightning)
  • 20,000mAH battery pack
  • Wall Outlet to USB
6lbs Tools; Saddlepack
  • Tire
  • Tubes x2
  • Patch Kit
  • Levers
  • Pump
  • Multi-Tool
  • Lube
  • Chain Breaker + Quick Links
  • Chain Pliers
  • Electrical Tape
  • Rag
7lbs Clothes (Pannier Right)
  • Polyester Rain Shell
  • Rain Gillette
  • Arm Warmers, Knee Warmers
  • Spare Kit (Jersey, Bib)
  • T Shirt
  • Shorts
  • Underwear
  • Wool Socks x3
  • Flip Flops
  • Mini Body Towel
2lbs Personal Care (Pannier Left)
  • Lotion / Sunscreen
  • Deoderant
  • First Aid Kit
5lbs Sleeping Gear (Pannier Left)
  • Tent
  • Pad
  • Bag

Last edited by Panza; 08-27-18 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 01:51 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
so this is the Team Sky Goes Touring setup
Hope those spokes are going to be ok, I very much recommend doing a bunch of riding before hand to make sure it works alright. What are the widest tires you can wedge in there, can t recall if this came up last time, but using caution hitting potholes and whatnot is probably going to be a big priority, and judging the increased braking time and whatnot to avoid stuff (and yes, no bunny hopping over stuff like usual)
Old 08-27-18, 05:14 PM
linus
Crawler

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts

Loaded Weight: 50lbs with cargo.

Fully loaded, it weighs a bunch, but still much less than the 60-70lb touring rigs my friends use.
It feels odd to stand up and pedal because the weight of the bike makes it want to pull to the side when I lean the bike.
Hills aren't definitely not as fun anymore.

8lbs Electronics (Handlebar Bag)
  • Garmin Edge
  • iPhone
  • Camera
  • Rear Blinky
  • Bontrager Flare R x2
  • 20,000mAH battery pack
  • Wall Outlet to USB
6lbs Tools; Saddlepack
  • Tire
  • Tubes x2
  • Patch Kit
  • Levers
  • Pump
  • Multi-Tool
  • Lube
  • Chain Pliers
  • Electrical Tape
  • Rag
7lbs Clothes (Pannier Right)
  • Polyester Rain Shell
  • Rain Gillette
  • Arm Warmers, Knee Warmers
  • Spare Kit (Jersey, Bib)
  • T Shirt
  • Shorts
  • Underwear
  • Wool Socks x3
  • Flip Flops
  • Mini Body Towel
2lbs Personal Care (Pannier Left)
  • Lotion / Sunscreen
  • Deoderant
  • First Aid Kit
5lbs Sleeping Gear (Pannier Left)
  • Tent
  • Pad
  • Bag
22.5lbs? Why is your bike so heavy? Are you including the garmin and water bottles and stuff too?
Old 08-27-18, 06:41 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
No electronic shifting?
Old 08-27-18, 08:28 PM
djb

Originally Posted by alan s
No electronic shifting?
nope, he is rather dogmatic about his views on cable actuated derailleurs and their superior tactile feel.
Old 08-27-18, 09:43 PM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh God. Good thing I remembered, I should really bring some toiletry goods.

Originally Posted by linus
22.5lbs? Why is your bike so heavy? Are you including the garmin and water bottles and stuff too?
The bike is between 16.5lbs bare. Panniers + pannier racks, tail bag, and handlebar bag magically make it 22.5lbs.

Originally Posted by alan s
No electronic shifting?
Originally Posted by djb
nope, he is rather dogmatic about his views on cable actuated derailleurs and their superior tactile feel.

I can't afford Di2 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 08-27-18, 09:45 PM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Planning on heading out Labor Day weekend. Wish me luck!
Old 08-27-18, 10:37 PM
DropBarFan

Impressive UL setup. It takes some time to adjust to a different pedaling style. My new bike felt twitchy on the front but after some miles it's not a problem anymore.
Old 08-29-18, 08:54 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linus
The bike is between 16 to 17lbs on its own. (the set up is always changing so the weight fluctuates. Seat, wheels, cages, etc) The extra add ons, Garmin, Water bottles, Saddlepack, Handlebar pack, and Panniers make it 22 1/2.

Originally Posted by djb
I'm just broke. Also if my shifters or derailleur brakes, I wouldn't know how to fix it. : )

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Impressive UL setup. It takes some time to adjust to a different pedaling style. My new bike felt twitchy on the front but after some miles it's not a problem anymore.
I put a hundred miles on the bike set up this week. I've gotten used to the weight but I can confidently say... climbs don't feel as fun anymore. A car accident with my bike on the back of my car has also left my rear wheel smashed so I'll be using a Zipp 404 wheel instead.
Old 08-29-18, 10:01 AM
djb

The bike is between 16 to 17lbs on its own. (the set up is always changing so the weight fluctuates. Seat, wheels, cages, etc) The extra add ons, Garmin, Water bottles, Saddlepack, Handlebar pack, and Panniers make it 22 1/2.

I'm just broke. Also if my shifters or derailleur brakes, I wouldn't know how to fix it. : )

I put a hundred miles on the bike set up this week. I've gotten used to the weight but I can confidently say... climbs don't feel as fun anymore. A car accident with my bike on the back of my car has also left my rear wheel smashed so I'll be using a Zipp 404 wheel instead.
22.5lbs, what a lardass!
re bike maintenance, if you have any interest in learning stuff, its a big advantage in like knowing you can do things yourself. Like anything, we learn one thing at a time , but its handy and practical if you remain a serious cyclist, not to mention saves tons of money doing it on your own.

re a schmush of the rear wheel, you might want to make extra certain the dropouts or chainstays didnt have any damage. I have no experience with df frames, but its commonly accepted that one must be extra vigilant when an impact or whatever has happened. I imagine if there is a store that you trust , that an experienced mechanic can go over it quickly to make sure. The "tap tap" method and detailed visual and touching inspection come to mind.
Old 08-29-18, 09:45 PM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
22.5lbs, what a lardass!
re bike maintenance, if you have any interest in learning stuff, its a big advantage in like knowing you can do things yourself. Like anything, we learn one thing at a time , but its handy and practical if you remain a serious cyclist, not to mention saves tons of money doing it on your own.

re a schmush of the rear wheel, you might want to make extra certain the dropouts or chainstays didnt have any damage. I have no experience with df frames, but its commonly accepted that one must be extra vigilant when an impact or whatever has happened. I imagine if there is a store that you trust , that an experienced mechanic can go over it quickly to make sure. The "tap tap" method and detailed visual and touching inspection come to mind.
I like em hefty. What can I say? ; )

I meant, if I owned an electronic system and my E shifter or E derailleur broke in the middle of a 1000+ mile journey, I wouldn't be able to fix it in a timely manner. I assemble bikes for fun and do all my own routine maintenance. : )
Old 08-30-18, 07:39 PM
DropBarFan

Yeah, when climbing off-saddle on unloaded light bike the bike can sway back & forth with ease. On a Japanese TV channel there's a series about a guy touring around Japan, only luggage is a small saddle bag, nice work if you can get it, heh.
Old 08-30-18, 08:30 PM
djb

About doing your own maintenance, this is something I've always found in touring to have the advantage of knowing your bike before a trip, and having a certain amount of confidence to be able to deal with possible issues that could come up.
certainly a win win in a touring situation.
Old 09-03-18, 08:01 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Here's a link to a couple of blogposts about the gear I have learned to carry over the past 40 years. It's what I carry for a week end or week long trip.
Simply Cycle: Bike packing 101

Marc
Old 09-03-18, 08:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4324 Post(s)
Liked 3,947 Times in 2,639 Posts
The best thing not to skimp on is riding your bike loaded and doing some short trips and testing things out. Worst thing is to go out and try new gear and have it fail. Whether it is the PinaColda Dogma or the new tent or even a new set of pads or those cool new camping undies you bought, testing and making sure you can put it all together and it will be of use and all of that good stuff is important. Plus also getting used to riding with gear is handy.
Old 09-04-18, 04:07 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
using caution hitting potholes and whatnot is probably going to be a big priority.
Isn’t that always? Ideally not hitting them at all, and Definately slowing down as much as you Possibly can and cringing if for some reason there’s Nothing you can do to avoid it. Hell, I avoid and go around pot holes on my mountain bike on occasion if I take it somewhere on road.
Loaded Weight: 50lbs with cargo

That’s actually a kinda hefty load for ultra light touring.
8lbs Electronics (Handlebar Bag) Yeesh...
  • Garmin Edge
  • iPhone
  • Camera
  • Rear Blinky
  • Bontrager Flare R x2
  • 20,000mAH battery pack
That’s a big battery. Why so many usb cables? Why GPS and smartphone? Use your phone as GPS and get a waterproof handlebar mount for it.

6lbs Tools; Saddlepack
  • Tire
  • Tubes x2
  • Patch Kit
  • Levers
  • Pump
  • Multi-Tool
  • Lube
  • Chain Pliers
  • Electrical Tape
  • Rag
Spare tire seems Very likely overkill. How many miles have you put down on a bike? How many times have you needed a spare tire? One spare tube is probably enough unless you like to be able to just ride through anything rather than around.

In general touring style handlebar bags tend to be not much space given the weight. If you ditch some of those bulkier items in general, you could pack some of the handlebar stuff in other spots. Use the most basic/smallest/lightest handlebar bag possible. If you could even get that down to a gas tank type top-tube bag for immediate access items, even better.
The bike and set-up is looking good. I’m definitely a fan. Make sure to report back after the trip.
Old 09-04-18, 01:54 PM
djb

Originally Posted by 3speed
Isn’t that always? Ideally not hitting them at all, and Definately slowing down as much as you Possibly can and cringing if for some reason there’s Nothing you can do to avoid it. Hell, I avoid and go around pot holes on my mountain bike on occasion if I take it somewhere on road.
of course, but I was responding with 1- the view that this is a road bike with not a truckfull of spokes, and 2-ridden by someone who hasnt ridden with extra weight on the bike before.
A friendly reminder twas all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.