Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Do you use your under-the-downtube water bottle bosses? What for?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 02:02 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

I've placed my order and my new bike is going to have the near-ubiquitous water bottle bosses under the downtube, near the bottom bracket. If your bike has them . . . do you use them? And if you use them, what do you use them for? Another water bottle? One of those little cargo containers? What product do you use / have you used . . . and are you happy with how it all works?
Old 09-12-18, 02:15 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 95 Posts
I use it for either a water bottle or for a tool pack, depending.
Old 09-12-18, 03:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
On my touring bike i use it for water sometimes. I have a velcro strap too as that takes pressure off the bottle cage since its in a position it wasnt designed to be in(force pulling it apart).
Could be useful for really long rides. Just change the top for one of your others before using.
Old 09-12-18, 04:14 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
My current bike doesn't have downtube bosses and it's been kind of a hassle. Usually I can get a 17 oz bottle into my bib pocket so it's ok but during the summer I really miss the extra capacity.

Previously on my bike that did have the DT bosses I carried just a water bottle, usually a 1 liter soda-type bottle that I use to refill my regular water bottles I carry inside the triangle. No need for a tool bottle as I've got a half framebag that holds tools and tubes. I also use a velcro strap to help reduce the forces experienced by the cage.
Old 09-12-18, 04:18 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Blackburn Outpost Cage with a 1.5 or 2L water bottle if needed.
Old 09-12-18, 04:19 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Tool bottle.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Eli...0ml-Black/37X1
Old 09-12-18, 04:35 PM
steinercat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are there bike pump mounts for water bottle bosses that place the bike pump on top of the tube and not on the side?

My Salsa Vaya has the extra bosses under the down tube, near the BB, and I'd love to mount my mini bike pump there.
Old 09-12-18, 05:18 PM
Zaskar

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Nope. In the rare occasion I've wanted a third bottle cage, I've used a double - a.k.a. Rocket Launcher - behind the seat, or a seat post mounted single bottle cage.
Old 09-12-18, 05:49 PM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
None of my bikes have bosses in that location, but sometimes I'll use one of these to carry a water bottle there: https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Clinch-U...ds=Bell+clinch

It tends to get filthy carried there, so wrap the top of the bottle with plastic wrap secured by a rubber band if you decide to use the bosses for a water bottle.

(FYI for anyone thinking about using the Bell Universal mount, it works pretty well but the cage that comes with it is garbage, so plan on using a different cage on it if you buy it.)
Old 09-13-18, 09:49 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

For those who use it for a tool bottle . . . do you like it better than an under-saddle bag? And what sort of cage do you use (that works)?
Old 09-13-18, 10:02 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by steinercat
Are there bike pump mounts for water bottle bosses that place the bike pump on top of the tube and not on the side?

My Salsa Vaya has the extra bosses under the down tube, near the BB, and I'd love to mount my mini bike pump there.
Spin Doctor (Performance brand) is like that.

Nice unit, it has a fairly accurate pressure gauge on it.
Old 09-13-18, 11:04 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Usually leave it empty but sometimes an extra water bottle and on a few tours it's held a bottle of fuel for my white-gas stove. I use an elastic hair band to stabilize the bottle in the cage under the down tube.
Old 09-15-18, 04:50 PM
XXLHardrock

Bikes: Some old CL beater

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I’ve recently had down tube bosses added to my bike’s frame. It was well worth the 50 bucks the frame builder charged. So far I’ve only used it for a water bottle but thought in the future a stove fuel bottle would ride there nicely. Maybe even tent poles. The tool bottle sounds like a good candidate as it would keep a fairly heavy load quite low.
Old 09-17-18, 02:44 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I have a 2018 Norco Search XR 105, and it came with the bosses underneath the downtube close to the BB. I was somewhat excited, since with the mounts on the carbon forks, i would be able to mount up to five water bottle cages. But dang it, when i installed a cage on the bottom mounts, the cage was practically touching the big ring on the 2x crankset. This would have prevented me shifting to the smaller chainring. what the????

Perhaps it's the design of the cage i used (old style thicker tubed aluminum cage), but seems a bad design. if only one inch higher up the DT.... i know Problem Solvers offers an adjustable/sliding mount to address this. Then i started wondering if there was a slim design tool bag or box i could use there, but haven't found one yet. many use a bottle cage for storage, which would not work, at least with the style cage i tried. and i'd like to screw it into the bosses. not use straps. anybody know of anything out there that fits that description? a mount for the bosses, a box/bag that slides and clicks into place...

Oh. i see Wolftooth has an interesting offer... https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ducts/pump-bag

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 09-20-18, 03:15 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
At one time, bike tourists would carry their fuel bottle for their kerosene stove down there. That way, if it leaked, it didn't get all over the rest of the gear.
Old 09-20-18, 03:02 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
For those who use it for a tool bottle . . . do you like it better than an under-saddle bag? And what sort of cage do you use (that works)?
I use a tool bottle but honestly that particular bottle cage goes unused probably 363 days out of the year. I have a tool roll under the saddle for most of my gear, and I only use the additional tool bottle for really long rides where I think it would be a good idea to have an extra tube or two and some additional parts/tools.

I have used it for water in the past but I found it to be a hassle -- I'm not bothered by the dirt so much, but I can't actually get to the bottle while I'm riding. Also, for really long rides I made the switch to using a hydration pack so the extra water bottle is kind of superfluous.

As far as what bottle cage -- I've used a bontrager side-loader cage but mainly because that's what I had in my bin. I'd probably go with a King Cage if I was buying another one.
Old 09-21-18, 12:16 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by ericzamora
Perhaps it's the design of the cage i used (old style thicker tubed aluminum cage), but seems a bad design. if only one inch higher up the DT.... i know Problem Solvers offers an adjustable/sliding mount to address this. Then i started wondering if there was a slim design tool bag or box i could use there, but haven't found one yet. many use a bottle cage for storage, which would not work, at least with the style cage i tried. and i'd like to screw it into the bosses. not use straps. anybody know of anything out there that fits that description? a mount for the bosses, a box/bag that slides and clicks into place...

Oh. i see Wolftooth has an interesting offer... https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ducts/pump-bag

eric
fresno, ca.
How about the Fabric Tool Keg? It is cageless.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/fabric-tool-keg

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 09-21-18 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 07:46 PM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Honestly, on the infrequent occasions where I have wanted to carry a third bottle, I have forgotten that I even have those downtube mounts. I just strap on a Revelate "feed bag" and use that instead.
Old 09-23-18, 08:20 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Water filter inside an extra bottle for prefiltered "non-potable" water.