Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tire suggestion for gravel bike

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-21-18, 06:58 AM
mkoscienski

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently got a Specialized Diverge Elite and am looking for tire suggestions. About 6 weeks ago I was running the stock tires on a local bike path and a seam in the concrete took a bite into the sidewall of my tire and sent me over the bars breaking my collarbone in the process. I have rode my bike a few times since the crash and the tires are seemingly having an impact on my psyche and I'd feel better on the bike with something a bit more substantial under me. My usual rides are 15-25 ​​​miles 3-5 times a week on paved roads, city streets, and park bike loops. When I put together longer rides of 35-100+ miles once or twice a month, they are done on crushed limestone rail trails with some loose big gravel segments. I am currently running 700x30 no tread out of the box tires. I like the 30s but wouldn't be opposed to 32s if it wouldn't affect my overall pace and make the bike feel slughish. I mainly am looking to stay light, quiet, and fast on the roads with more stability, but also have a little more bite into the gravel paths as well. Can't run tubeless with my rims. I've looked at so many tires and my brain decided some input on the matter was necessary, so thanks for any help in advance!

​​​
Old 09-21-18, 09:12 AM
PeterCT

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce; Trek FX 7.4; Trek 6500 mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My son has a Diverge and put on Specialized Nimbus 32s on it. Better for gravel and rougher roads than what came with the bike, but still has good road grip and smooth rolling on pavement. And very durable.

You can certainly get more knobby tires if this is primarily a gravel bike. Tons of choices.
Old 09-21-18, 12:27 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Gravelking slicks as big as you can fit.
Old 09-21-18, 03:18 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by mkoscienski
I like the 30s but wouldn't be opposed to 32s if it wouldn't affect my overall pace and make the bike feel slughish.​​
Your stock Espoir Sports are not a fast tire. You could probably go a lot fatter without losing any speed. And I'd recommend going a lot fatter if you're riding gravel non-tubeless anyway. I'd also recommend going fatter if you're concerned about ruts.

Your bike can probably fit a 38 in front. If you're not overly concerned with sidewall cuts, I'd personally probably go with a Compass Barlow Pass. Otherwise, something like a 38mm Gravelking slick.
Aluminum Diverges are a bit tighter in the back, and for the sake of healthy clearance you may want to stick with a 35mm or narrower for the rear.

The biggest thing might be rider technique, though. Watch for potholes, try to ride at a somewhat oblique angle when crossing over ruts such as train tracks. Use sufficient lighting to see the road surface at night.

//=======================

As far as bite on gravel, are you doing any really mucky rides? Tread pattern doesn't matter all that much on most dry gravel... slicks will handle floatier in a slide than knobbies, but for how much paved riding you're doing, that might be an acceptable compromise (especially since knobs wear fast on pavement anyway). If you're trying to ride muddy stuff, then something non-slick will definitely boost traction... I know a few people who ride Compass Steilacooms and really like them, and say they offer a very lively paved ride considering how much bite they offer in mud. But again, if sidewall protection concerns you, maybe a tougher all-rounder like a GravelKing SK could make sense (but will probably cost you more speed).

Last edited by HTupolev; 09-21-18 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 03:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Same answer I give every time: 700x35 Hutchinson Overides. I don't think there's a better "does everything well, but nothing truly great" tire out there. Or really, if you're running tubes, your choice of happy medium style (smooth in the middle, knobs on the sides) tires. I think the wire-bead Kenda Happy Mediums are about 20 bucks apiece.

I ride the Overides on pavement, packed dirt, clay, hiking trails, fire roads, smooshy riverbeds... sometimes all in the same ride. They wear decently, as well-- rear has about 3,000 miles on it, has a bit to go before it needs replacing.
Old 09-21-18, 07:44 PM
mkoscienski

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
As far as bite on gravel, are you doing any really mucky rides? Tread pattern doesn't matter all that much on most dry gravel... slicks will handle floatier in a slide than knobbies, but for how much paved riding you're doing, that might be an acceptable compromise (especially since knobs wear fast on pavement anyway). If you're trying to ride muddy stuff, then something non-slick will definitely boost traction... I know a few people who ride Compass Steilacooms and really like them, and say they offer a very lively paved ride considering how much bite they offer in mud. But again, if sidewall protection concerns you, maybe a tougher all-rounder like a GravelKing SK could make sense (but will probably cost you more speed).
I'm not doing anything crazy. No real challenging terrain, no mud. That's not to say that won't change but for now I am just sticking to easy stuff for high mileage. The compass tires look good, I'd probably go for the 35. I was thinking about the wtb exposure 34s they are the happy medium sort of build and with a tube I could get them up on their center line pretty good with higher psi. Also the manufacturer is adamant that 38s can go on the back and it looks to have as much clearance in the back as the fork does in the front. Thanks for all the help BTW, I rode a mountain bike my whole life and never really got much into cycling until recently.

Last edited by mkoscienski; 09-21-18 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-22-18, 07:41 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Also the manufacturer is adamant that 38s can go on the back and it looks to have as much clearance in the back as the fork does in the front.
I was going to say, just make the jump all the way to 38 mm. If making a change, make it big enough to count. The stability and confidence difference for me between 32 mm and 38 mm is huge. Don't waste time on millimeter increments. Go big. Put on some 38s. Get something good quality and flexible like those Compass-brand tires, or (in my case) some Soma Shikoro tires.
Old 09-22-18, 07:49 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
There are some good reviews for diff cat tires here:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...thon-plus-2015

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires have performed well for me on my gravel / trail bike
Old 09-25-18, 08:14 PM
CDF

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Diverge E5 Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Diverge E5 Elite set up with Specialized Trigger Pro 38mm front and back. I have over 1000 miles on them so far, the last 100 or so have been tubeless on stock rims. Ride both gravel and pavement no problem. Smoother on the road than you might expect. Wife’s bike has Panaracer Gravel Kings in 35mm. Says they feel a bit slow to her... throws a lot of small rocks you can hear ping off the bike.
Old 09-26-18, 07:55 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
WTB Nanos at 40c have worked well for me.
Old 09-29-18, 03:41 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by CDF
Wife’s bike has Panaracer Gravel Kings in 35mm. ... throws a lot of small rocks you can hear ping off the bike.
I've just changed my 29er to Vittoria Voyager Hypers and have really noticed this now happens a lot and a friend swapped his over for the same and went out for the 1st ride with them the other evening and his bike was doing it as well .... weird especially as we both came from tyres with more nobles which you'd think might pick up a bit of grit and then throw it out and smoother would just go over it.
Old 09-29-18, 03:51 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I recently got a Specialized Diverge Elite and am looking for tire suggestions. About 6 weeks ago I was running the stock tires on a local bike path and a seam in the concrete took a bite into the sidewall of my tire and sent me over the bars breaking my collarbone in the process. I have rode my bike a few times since the crash and the tires are seemingly having an impact on my psyche and I'd feel better on the bike with something a bit more substantial under me. My usual rides are 15-25 ​​​miles 3-5 times a week on paved roads, city streets, and park bike loops. When I put together longer rides of 35-100+ miles once or twice a month, they are done on crushed limestone rail trails with some loose big gravel segments. I am currently running 700x30 no tread out of the box tires. I like the 30s but wouldn't be opposed to 32s if it wouldn't affect my overall pace and make the bike feel slughish. I mainly am looking to stay light, quiet, and fast on the roads with more stability, but also have a little more bite into the gravel paths as well. Can't run tubeless with my rims. I've looked at so many tires and my brain decided some input on the matter was necessary, so thanks for any help in advance!

​​​
What PSI were you running your tires at?

Typically a slightly lower PSI will give the tires a little more give and less prone to punctures like you had. It allows the tire to take the push of the object by decompressing as opposed to a high PSI that will more quickly split or puncture.

There is certainly a balance and your weight and bike type/wheel size/tire type all play a part. But the overall concept is the same. The harder the tire the more likely a split with that type of hard tire hit on a rock, curb... ect

Although this might be negligable of your tire sunk between a gap in the road....

-Sean