Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes or rim brakes?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Disc brakes or rim brakes?

Old 11-16-18, 11:02 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Exactly! In the rain, disc might mean the difference between a close call vs a damaged bike or even a trip to the hospital. One time on a loaded mountain descent thru heavy fog the rim brakes were near useless...I actually had to use a runaway truck ramp to stop. I switched ASAP to disc brakes.
Let’s not go too hyperbolic. I have done loaded descents in rain many times with rim brakes and lived to tell the tale. I’ve even done mountain bike downhills with cantilever brakes in driving a driving rain storm and lived to tell the tale. I’ve also done long fast downhills in snow (not by choice) with cantilever brakes and lived to tell the tail.

Want more? I’ve ridden in freezing drizzle, snow, hail and rain without hub mounted disc brakes mostly because they didn’t exist. We seemed to have been able to survive. Heck we even invented mountain biking with only cantilever brakes.

Sorry but saying that you are going to “take a trip to the hospital” because you don’t use hub mounted disc brakes isn’t backed up by decades of experience.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-16-18, 11:33 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed

I’ve actually never had much problem with them, but some folks seem to have issues with them scrubbing and stuff. I do find I have to take more time lining up the disk to get it into the caliper compared to just dropping in the rim braked wheel. And the fact that they’d all be using hudraulic brakes could be disaster in a quick change situation. Somehow the brake lever accidentally gets bumped while the wheel is out and suddenly you have a compressed caliper, and that wheel isn’t going back in...
You certainly must NOT pull on the lever when the disc is not there...
Old 11-17-18, 12:01 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts

.... I do find I have to take more time lining up the disk to get it into the caliper compared to just dropping in the rim braked wheel. And the fact that they’d all be using hudraulic brakes could be disaster in a quick change situation. Somehow the brake lever accidentally gets bumped while the wheel is out and suddenly you have a compressed caliper, and that wheel isn’t going back in...
first of all, yes they can be a pain putting a wheel in and there's rubbing, and you have to mess around getting the exact angle right. A rim wheel is easy.
took me a while to get better at disc wheel putting back.

and yes, wheel off can result in accidental lever push and pads moved out too much. Happened to me once when bike was in cardboard box for a flight.
Old 11-17-18, 09:20 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Let’s not go too hyperbolic. I have done loaded descents in rain many times with rim brakes and lived to tell the tale. I’ve even done mountain bike downhills with cantilever brakes in driving a driving rain storm and lived to tell the tale. I’ve also done long fast downhills in snow (not by choice) with cantilever brakes and lived to tell the tail.

Want more? I’ve ridden in freezing drizzle, snow, hail and rain without hub mounted disc brakes mostly because they didn’t exist. We seemed to have been able to survive. Heck we even invented mountain biking with only cantilever brakes.

Sorry but saying that you are going to “take a trip to the hospital” because you don’t use hub mounted disc brakes isn’t backed up by decades of experience.
my personal experiences are very much in line with these comments.

Its all about assessing the braking power one has and moderating your speed for those conditions and how your braking is--but its like downhill or cross country skiing on downhills, you have to be aware of the surfaces of snow and ice to judge if you can stop properly in a given distance, so one has to constantly judge that, and have your speed according to what is safe for the conditions.

Just like driving a car in snow, no matter how much abs braking system or drift control or whatever you have on your car, it comes down to judging what traction you have for the given surface, and adjusting your speed to what you know you can safely stop in a given distance and or how much straight line traction you have if driving along on a straight road.

its the same with braking with bikes, doesnt matter what braking system you have, you have to have a feel , from experience, of how your brake system is going to work, how fast you will slow down, and control your speed accordingly.
Yes its easy just like skiing in that in just a few seconds, your speed can get too high on a descent, and yes disc systems on a loaded touring bike generally have more stopping power, but you still have to ride within the limits.

and as Ive brought up, you can have great strong disc brakes, but if you haul on the front too hard on a wet or dirty surface, and or with some lean angle, you can lock the front easier than with rim brakes generally, so you still have to have that feel of how much front braking you can do before traction loss--and again, most folks are afraid of the front brake and dont use it to its max--so we come back to the whole issue of "braking ability" by Mr or Mrs X rider and the huge variability of this factor.

boy, we do like blah blahing about this topic don't we? ;-)
Old 11-17-18, 10:44 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I have to agree. I haven't thought of braking as an issue since the days of cheap stamped calipers/steel rims on first gen mtb's. Even then, going down long hills in the mountains I just dragged my foot to slow down

Most brakes will work well enough. I put far more weight on paying attention to conditions and anticipating rather than reacting as stated above.
Old 11-17-18, 11:26 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Anyone worried about braking probably ought to think about riding something other than a 700c road bike with narrow tires or... my secret-- I could go 20 mph on the flats but try to keep it under 13 mph for safety reasons. Yeah... that's the ticket.
Old 11-17-18, 01:29 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Now that they’re putting electronics on bikes and have hydraulic brakes, I wonder how long it’ll be before someone makes an ABS system.
Old 11-17-18, 01:32 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Now that they’re putting electronics on bikes and have hydraulic brakes, I wonder how long it’ll be before someone makes an ABS system.

'lectronic brakes!!!! back in my day, the only 'lectronics on a bike was the bluetoof-enabled water bottles what reminded us it was time to pee!
Old 11-17-18, 02:32 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I have to agree. I haven't thought of braking as an issue since the days of cheap stamped calipers/steel rims on first gen mtb's. Even then, going down long hills in the mountains I just dragged my foot to slow down

Most brakes will work well enough. I put far more weight on paying attention to conditions and anticipating rather than reacting as stated above.
AND there you go... If you think that, you don't need hydraulic disk brakes... BUT, if you think that sometimes your brakes are "iffy" you's in need of a good set of hydraulic disc brakes and the "iffyn'ess" disappears...

Last edited by 350htrr; 11-17-18 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-17-18, 05:04 PM
Happy Feet

No it doesn't. You just need to htfu and stop letting unfounded anxiety guide your decision making.

Look, if you want to argue you like hydraulics, fine. No problem, fill yer boots. It's a lot like paint colour. However, if you want to argue you "need" them for touring because those other brakes aren't good enough I call B.S.

But the sentiment is not unique - many people who engage in outdoor pursuits are at times unsure of their abilities and seek an equipment solution as a buffer against that fear. The solution is not to encourage the irrational need for such gear but rather the acquisition of some skill.

In another recent thread someone suggested a Chris King headset and BB's were sort of a minimum for all season touring. Guess what, I call B.S. on that too.

There is a big difference between want and actual need.
Old 11-17-18, 05:24 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Old 11-17-18, 06:43 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Old 11-17-18, 07:45 PM
350htrr

No it doesn't. You just need to htfu and stop letting unfounded anxiety guide your decision making.

Look, if you want to argue you like hydraulics, fine. No problem, fill yer boots. It's a lot like paint colour. However, if you want to argue you "need" them for touring because those other brakes aren't good enough I call B.S.

But the sentiment is not unique - many people who engage in outdoor pursuits are at times unsure of their abilities and seek an equipment solution as a buffer against that fear. The solution is not to encourage the irrational need for such gear but rather the acquisition of some skill.

In another recent thread someone suggested a Chris King headset and BB's were sort of a minimum for all season touring. Guess what, I call B.S. on that too.

WOW, Dude... Relax and read what I said... I said, "IF you have no problems" with your rim brake set up, with "the way you ride", NO, you do NOT NEED disc brakes... IF you do find that the way you "want to ride" is being restricted because of to me a HUGE, actual difference, and past experiences with rim brakes in variable weather conditions I have gone through, THEN... GET a good quality hydraulic disc brake set up... HOW , is that, in anyway a "problem" for anyone...??? and.. It has zero/nothing/nada, to do with me, and how I feel, per say, it has everything to do with the "differences" with rim or disk and how "efficient" they are...

As far as NEED, no I do NOT need disc brakes, nobody NEEDS hydraulic disc brakes per say, but, I would say, all anybody would NEED to do, is change the way they want to ride, so all they "need" to do Is ride differently, or MUST even, ride differently, and "problem solved" rime brake are good enough...

I have rode rim brake bicycles for like 20+ years and I did not realise how bad/POS they were until I got my last bike with hydraulic disks and... I entered a different world, of constant, predictable, braking distances, in ALL kinds of weather/conditions... Yes, born again would describe my attitude between rim or hydraulic brakes... BUT, I also believe if you do not think you need one you do not, probably because of the way you ride, where you ride, the conditions where you ride...
Old 11-17-18, 07:57 PM
Happy Feet

Yes, I get it. You ride an E bike now and need hydraulic brakes. Just like the thread where you claimed bicycle tourers needed really powerful solar chargers because, well in your case at least, it also included charging the actual E bike.

So I will rephrase: For traditional bicycle touring that does not include technical downhill mountain biking or motorized vehicles, there is no unique "need" for hydraulic disc brakes. The activity simply does not require that degree of sophistication. Yes, they are an option, but not a need. I would challenge someone to describe the type of touring, outside the two examples in the last sentence, that requires them or rather, suggests calipers, cantis or mechanical discs are not good enough.
Old 11-17-18, 08:08 PM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
To OP.

Just get disc brakes. Especially, hydraulic disc brakes. It's better in every way.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-18, 08:56 PM
Happy Feet

The faulty logic that sometimes occurs here is that someone, who has ridden bikes for a long time, finally builds their "dream" bike with all the fixuns: CK headsets, PW hubs, custom frame, hand built wheelsets, dynohubs, rohlhoff igh or campy groupset... and then talks about how they would never ride on anything less after that. Sure, great in itself. But if someone had told them at the start that they shouldn't choose a bike unless it had those things they would never have set foot on a tour to begin with.

Good stuff is good but in my mind nothing happens in isolation. What does the rest of the bike look like? Carpy but with excellent hydraulic disc brakes? How much does all that cost? What about panniers, tents, sleeping bags, clothing, cook gear... suggesting the best just because it's the best loses it's logic when you extrapolate it outwards to the whole activity and begin to see the cost of it all. Now add some drivel about how dangerous the other options are and it's a perfect way to talk someone out of ever trying what is a pretty low entry, safe pastime for the vast majority of users.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 11-17-18 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-17-18, 08:59 PM
350htrr

Yes, I get it. You ride an E bike now and need hydraulic brakes. Just like the thread where you claimed bicycle tourers needed really powerful solar chargers because, well in your case at least, it also included charging the actual E bike.

So I will rephrase: For traditional bicycle touring that does not include technical downhill mountain biking or motorized vehicles, there is no unique "need" for hydraulic disc brakes. The activity simply does not require that degree of sophistication. Yes, they are an option, but not a need. I would challenge someone to describe the type of touring, outside the two examples in the last sentence, that requires them or rather, suggests calipers, cantis or mechanical discs are not good enough.
As far as the E-Bike thing, why, YES, I do believe I did say that one NEEDS to carry a powerful solar panel... Why would I say that,? because you NEED to charge the battery every day, or you go nowhere with the E-Bike the next day, (unless you find a current bush to plug it in somewhere)... Does that mean every tourer NEEDS to carry a powerful solar panel..??? NO, it does NOT, and I never said that... I do not know if you are trying to be obtuse , or if I am just failing to get my point across.. BUT...

MY point is "trying to be" here is "if" you are finding rim brake's "iffy", go to quality hydraulic discs, you would not be going wrong...
Old 11-17-18, 09:18 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by 350htrr
As far as the E-Bike thing, why, YES, I do believe I did say that one NEEDS to carry a powerful solar panel... Why would I say that,? because you NEED to charge the battery every day, or you go nowhere with the E-Bike the next day, (unless you find a current bush to plug it in somewhere)... Does that mean every tourer NEEDS to carry a powerful solar panel..??? NO, it does NOT, and I never said that... I do not know if you are trying to be obtuse , or if I am just failing to get my point across.. BUT...

MY point is "trying to be" here is "if" you are finding rim brake's "iffy", go to quality hydraulic discs, you would not be going wrong...
Who's trying to be obtuse. The problem with the internet is the data is right there.

Here's the thread : https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...hargers-2.html

You begin arguing about the need for high output solar panels in post 11 and it's not until post 47 that you reveal you need that much power to charge your e bike. Yep, just like most other bicycle tourists.

As to your assertion: "if" you are finding rim brake's "iffy", go to quality hydraulic discs, you would not be going wrong. I would say, "Invest in learning how to adjust your current brakes properly first." You could not go wrong and would probably save a bunch of money in the process. It's a skills thing that will carry from bike to bike for the rest of your life.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 11-17-18 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-17-18, 09:19 PM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Moderator, please kick these people out. These people are hijacking the thread with their gibberish.
Old 11-17-18, 09:25 PM
Happy Feet

Seems I've addressed brakes intelligently in every post I've made so far. Pardon me for suggesting thinking about real needs instead of suggesting the most expensive solution as a default.

I will admit that the solar discussion is a detour but it illustrates how someone can suggest a need for a solution based on something outside the activity at hand. In the touring section we talk about touring yet many of the suggestions about hydraulic brakes are coming from downhill technical mtb use, as another example.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 11-17-18 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-17-18, 09:34 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

You’re saying someone who uses disk brakes only does so due to an unfounded anxiety, fear, and lack of skill?

Jesus christ this thread just went to a whole new level of garbage fire.

I agree about the CK headset not being basic need these days. That’s just silly. It would also be silly to say that of disk brakes. That doesn’t mean someone is anxious, afraid, and trying to compensate for lack of skill by enjoying nice equipment. Maybe you should work on your lack of skill and stop relying on your fancy cantilevers. People got along just fine in all sorts of weather with rear coaster brakes.

I purpose we aggressively talk about leather seats next!

Last edited by 3speed; 11-18-18 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-17-18, 09:37 PM
Happy Feet

No I did not. I own a bike with disc brakes.

I said there is a difference between needing and wanting. The OP wants to do a simple tour and asked about disc brakes. Now it seems Hydraulic disc brakes are required for "safety" sake. I disagree.
My position is that rim or disc will suffice. Even HDiscs if money is no object - why not.
If you want HD that's fine. But to say you need HD for simple touring safely I think that's a worry not founded in reality.
That is all.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 11-17-18 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-18-18, 08:43 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Thread closed.