Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Am I not worthy?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Am I not worthy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 04:34 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ās above. But without eating meat.... after all, you do live in a country (and I appreciate there are large regional variations) which produces some of the great vegetarian dishes of the world.

Last edited by avole; 12-14-18 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-14-18, 05:42 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The thing about us humans is that our existence is so diverse, that similar to that Monty Python piece, there's always someone who've had it "worse", been more "straight edge", "true" or whatever.
I stopped trying to win that game long ago.
It's prudent to compare your own behaviour to your best impression of what's generally acceptable or expected. But once you're past that scrutiny, you're probably OK following your own judgement.
I dabbled a tiny bit in re-enactment BITD, and somewhere, there was always some sort of pissing contest going on.
The guy who'd sewn his own clothes looked down on the ones in bought outfits. The guy who'd sewn his own by hand looked down on those who had used sewing machines. The one who'd woven their own cloth looked down on the ones who'd bought theirs etc etc.
There was ALWAYS someone who'd pushed it a bit further.
I'd rather look for commonality than diversification and tend to stay away from people with an obvious elitist approach to things.
Old 12-14-18, 06:07 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
ah, you're still doing it wrong.

"real" touring cyclists practice an ultra-spartan lifestyle....it's not just no cigs, no booze, no sex, no electronics.....

to do it right, you've gotta let go of all the trappings of modern society that "they" insist you need, but in reality don't. next tour, travel light....one set of clothes, no stove, eat only raw organic roadkill, use no soap, use no toilet paper. enjoy!
Old 12-14-18, 08:02 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
How do you get to meet these people, and more to the point, why?
Old 12-14-18, 08:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Drinking beer in Italy does make it seem like the OP may not be quite "tour worthy."
Actually, there is some really good beer in Italy. (I went to college with one of the Peronis.) And the OP claims to be in NE Italy. He may not be that far from the Austrian border. Back in 2013 I spent two weeks doing day rides out of Borso del Grappa, which is not far from where the Italian front was in WWI. Lots of places serving German and Austrian beer and catering to the German and Austrian tourists.
Old 12-14-18, 08:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
Beer is good for lunch too! Do you have Bloody Mary's in Italy? Nice way to start the day sometimes, good with brunch.
He's from the land of Prosecco. When I was cycling in NE Italy the hotel bar had it on tap. We used to have Prosecco hour before dinner.
Old 12-14-18, 08:09 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
All that is required for bike touring is liking to bike. Anything else is extra. I always carry some whisky, beer at the end of the day. Stove, fuel, some kind of shelter, change of clothes. In 8th grade I learned that only my opinion matters, not anyone else's. Just pedal, repeat as need. I try to plan my trips, there is always detours. Like in life. Be the wheel. I like to be resourceful, take advantage of the hospitality offered to you by good people, the weather and what nature provides.
Old 12-14-18, 08:10 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Actually, there is some really good beer in Italy. (I went to college with one of the Peronis.) And the OP claims to be in NE Italy. He may not be that far from the Austrian border. Back in 2013 I spent two weeks doing day rides out of Borso del Grappa, which is not far from where the Italian front was in WWI. Lots of places serving German and Austrian beer and catering to the German and Austrian tourists.
I"m good with Italian beer but there is, IMO, better beer. There's pretty decent wine in Germany, especially in the SW, as well but not my favorite. Just sayin.
Old 12-14-18, 08:15 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
kinda funny you guys arguing about what drink is better--when Im on a bike trip, if I drink alcohol it just makes me sleepy, especially with supper after a days riding. Memories of sharing wine with touring friends on some of my early trips, but getting so sleepy that I wouldnt have the oomf to clean up my supper stuff, and have to do it in the morning.
But then, Im not much of a drinker anyway, never have been.
Old 12-14-18, 08:17 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Google "la fiorentina" steak
https://goo.gl/images/pt11kW
Old 12-14-18, 10:04 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
am
Originally Posted by Leebo
All that is required for bike touring is liking to bike. Anything else is extra. I always carry some whisky, beer at the end of the day. Stove, fuel, some kind of shelter, change of clothes. In 8th grade I learned that only my opinion matters, not anyone else's. Just pedal, repeat as need. I try to plan my trips, there is always detours. Like in life. Be the wheel. I like to be resourceful, take advantage of the hospitality offered to you by good people, the weather and what nature provides.
Nice post which really says most of it.

And what djb says isn't far from the truth for me, either... even more so now about no alcohol.
Old 12-14-18, 11:02 AM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The great thing about bike touring is that there are no rules (other than using a bike).
Old 12-14-18, 11:14 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
How do you get to meet these people, and more to the point, why?
Do a search for bike touring videos on YouTube, which is not an uncommon starting point for someone starting out. LOTS of this sort of stuff there.

Originally Posted by travelinhobo
The great thing about bike touring is that there are no rules (other than using a bike).
Old 12-14-18, 11:35 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I
there, does that make you feel better? If you appreciate my advice, please send the Mondials over.....
What do you need mondials for?
I found these beauties at Canadian Tire for ya
  • Kenda K193 700c x 35c Urban Bike Tire provides dependable performance wherever you go
  • Perfect commuter tire designed for city streets and country trails
  • Smooth, rounded tread with large water dispersion groove
  • Front and rear application
  • Size: 700c x 28c
Of course, I will need to understand how they are called 700c x 35c, yet they're sized 700c x 28c
Old 12-14-18, 12:06 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Kenda?? I have them on my Brompton clone. OK, it could be coincidence, but they puncture regularly on every second trip. I would change them, but unfortunately the wheel size isn't common.
Old 12-14-18, 01:45 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Kenda over here generally is a cheapie sort of bike tire. They are probably ok, depending on the model, but I tend to see them on friends bikes who would think its nuts to pay more than 15 bucks for a bike tire. I know two people who have bikes that were built up for them by either someone they know or a store selling used bikes, and they have Kendas on them, and Im sure because it was the cheapest way to have "brand new tires" on the bikes for the buyers.

and if I were ever to tour where a much tougher,slightly more treaded tire is needed, I've always thought the Mondials look like the right choice. They have a 26x2 version that would have much tougher sidewalls than the supremes and would be better if going on much more dirt and rocky stuff.
Old 12-16-18, 07:33 AM
jostan1
Stan

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse. Salsa Mukluk disc trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
True

Originally Posted by boomhauer
My touring life is too embarrassing to be viewed on YouTube.

I generally buy a six pack for the evening camping. (hey, a six pack in america cost about the same as three individual beers)
I defecate in the woods without digging a hole

I don't train for any tour.....ever.
And on top of everything i don't wear bicycle specific clothing (except for a helmet)
I've been doing it this way for 30 years

You are worthy (or both of us aren't)

My kind of touring!
Old 12-16-18, 05:28 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Touring without good food and beer sounds like a major loss of enjoyment to me, but I do pretty much exclusively camp and try to keep my gear weight as low as possible within reason. My 1lb inflatable camp pad and, 3lb roomy tent, and 2lb warm sleeping bag only add up to 6lbs but make a comfy home. To me the key is finding the balance of the simple while still enjoying the nice things. But if all restaurants and a hotel at the end of the night is key to you then go for it. Who cares? Do your thing and enjoy it. If you feel wrong about it, change it.
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Own your lifestyle or change it - but don't drag others into it in such a passive aggressive manner.

Just do your thing.
Agreed.
Old 12-17-18, 09:53 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Kenda over here generally is a cheapie sort of bike tire. They are probably ok, depending on the model, but I tend to see them on friends bikes who would think its nuts to pay more than 15 bucks for a bike tire. I know two people who have bikes that were built up for them by either someone they know or a store selling used bikes, and they have Kendas on them, and Im sure because it was the cheapest way to have "brand new tires" on the bikes for the buyers.
I had Kendas on my 26" bike until I cut a sidewall (not the tires fault at all). Heavy, slow, felt as supple as a granite slab, but never had an issue with reliability and can't say too much bad outside of comfort aspect. Price was certainly right.
Old 12-17-18, 12:38 PM
FelipeCL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
I defecate in the woods without digging a hole
There is a book for you: "How to **** in the woods" by Kathleen Meyer, may be that helps - and the others who will find your flying papers laying around etc.
('Automatic political correctness'-spellchecker elimates the s-word, but the books title is as is).
Old 12-17-18, 01:03 PM
mplee

Bikes: LeMond Sarthe, Rivendell Bleriot, Dahon MU

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
agreed.
Old 12-17-18, 01:47 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
U must travel with your own kind.

It is difficult enough to bike tour with your own kind of tourist ie. same little as possiable carry weight (tools, clothes, camping, sleeping equipment, shelter), food tastes, and same daily travel goals, with unavoidable differing pedal cadences and gear choices. Most serious bike tourists are long distance for more than a week, and choose not to have the "RVr ie, recreational vehicle" mindset that you have, steak, beer, luxery sleeping etc., So yes, sit there, in pre-dibetic fat, over dosing on meat protean instead of needed carbohydrates, half drunk, and denigrate real bike tourists with your other "rvr" "bike tourist" brethren from a distance, because your type is totally incompatible with serious bike long distance tourers.
Old 12-17-18, 01:48 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
U must travel with your own kind.

It is difficult enough to bike tour with your own kind of tourist ie. same little as possiable carry weight (tools, clothes, camping, sleeping equipment, shelter), food tastes, and same daily travel goals, with unavoidable differing pedal cadences and gear choices. Most serious bike tourists are long distance for more than a week, and choose not to have the "RVr ie, recreational vehicle" mindset that you have, steak, beer, luxery sleeping etc., So yes, sit there, in pre-dibetic fat, over dosing on meat protean instead of needed carbohydrates, half drunk, and denigrate real bike tourists with your other "rvr" "bike tourist" brethren from a distance, because your type is totally incompatible with serious bike long distance tourers.
Old 12-17-18, 02:16 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I like to push myself sometimes and make certain dietary choices but don't share that POV at all. My wife, whom I quite fancy, is a carnivore, drinks and doesn't bike.

It's a hobby/pastime - not a competition.
Old 12-17-18, 02:40 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Just a little post to say that I do my touring these days with wife, Machka. We share a lot of views and ways of doing things. It's been like that for 10 years married and 15 years since first meeting firstly through Bike Forums, then on the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200.

Before that, I did various tours with other cyclists, and some of them are remembered for positive reasons. The options with questionable types are to identify if they can solve the issues, ride all by yourself and put up with nightly issue briefly, or pick an alternative route and destination on one day that will break you apart permanently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.