Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel build question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel build question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-19, 05:47 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Wheel build question

Did I mess up or get mis-matched spokes/nipples?

I had an old wheel that had broken 3 spokes so I decided to re-lace. 32 hole Joytech hub, 622 Alex DM18 rim. Bought DT double butted spokes & brass nipples from lbs. Original spokes were 296mm and he had 295's in stock which didn't seem to matter.

The box of spokes had alloy nipples so I asked for brass which we went in the back and got. We tried a couple and they fit the spokes.

Assembling I removed a spoke & replaced 1 at a time. 3x pattern. Used antisieze on spoke threads and a drop of synthetic oil where nipples went through rim.

After basic true I de-stressed spokes by placing wheel sideways on floor and pressing on each side.

Installed tires Gatorskin 32c, and got trued to within a mm or two on bike. Went for a ride and wheel came out of true after 4-5 miles. Arriving home I found 1 spoke had pulled out of nipple and others very loose.

I was wondering if I could have gotten mismatched spokes/nipples or if I messed something up on the build. Thanks.

Last edited by stevel610; 09-16-19 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 05:56 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Questions

We can help better if we have more details:
  • Is this a front or rear wheel? Rear wheels sometimes use shorter spokes on the drive side to help with wheel dish for the cassette/freewheel
  • What spokes were on the wheel already? Are the butted spokes a direct replacement?
I've had new spokes and nipples separate with aluminum nipples and cheap plain gauge spokes. I used a different nipple and it worked out.

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 09-16-19 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 06:14 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
If you had the wrong nipples, they might thread on, but you would not be able to get any tension without them slipping. Its more likely that you didn't have enough initial tension and riding it caused the nipples to loosen. I have had that happen to a newly built road wheel after mounting a tubeless tire. I later found that mounting the tubeless road tire and inflating it caused a nearly 30 kgf spoke tension drop in the wheel.
Old 09-16-19, 06:53 AM
stevel610 

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
We can help better if we have more details:
  • Is this a front or rear wheel? Rear wheels sometimes use shorter spokes on the drive side to help with wheel dish for the cassette/freewheel
  • What spokes were on the wheel already? Are the butted spokes a direct replacement?
I've had new spokes and nipples separate with aluminum nipples and cheap plain gauge spokes. I used a different nipple and it worked out.
Sorry, it was a front wheel. Original spokes were no name straight gauge.
Old 09-16-19, 06:56 AM
stevel610 

Originally Posted by dsaul
If you had the wrong nipples, they might thread on, but you would not be able to get any tension without them slipping. Its more likely that you didn't have enough initial tension and riding it caused the nipples to loosen. I have had that happen to a newly built road wheel after mounting a tubeless tire. I later found that mounting the tubeless road tire and inflating it caused a nearly 30 kgf spoke tension drop in the wheel.
Thanks.

Could be there wasn"t enough to tension. Don't have a tension gauge.

Last edited by stevel610; 09-16-19 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 08:17 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I find i need to de-stress the wheel at least twice during a build, and pulling two spokes together by hand is part of that process of destressing, which can give you a fair idea on tension too
Using anti seize on threads and oil to lube the nipples is great, and if you've trued the wheel perfectly you can put a drop of lock tight on each nipple to stop it from loosening, this won't completely lock - if you need to true the wheel in future it can be broken coz you oiled the nipples
Old 09-16-19, 09:05 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I'm not sure why you decided to mix spokes, but it doesn't make a difference if you aren't using a tension meter to gauge your repair. If you have a musical ear (notes sound different) you can get your spokes in sufficient tension by listening to the tone made when you pluck a spoke. The thinner gauge butted spokes you bought will not sound the same as the straight gauge spokes, less material means they'll likely have a higher pitch at proper tension.

How are you gauging true on your wheel? Are you using the fork and brake pads, or a stand?

Another thought, to address the cause instead of the symptoms: You broke three spokes on a front wheel, which to me indicates damage to the rim if the wheel otherwise gave great service. Spokes fail because of tension loading cycles, if a spoke is too loose, the repeated tensioning will cause it to fatigue and break. Rim damage, like a flat spot, will allow spokes to relax enough to eventually break. If you haven't already, check your radial true, or how round the wheel rim is (with the tire off).

Worst case scenario, if you can't figure it out, you can bring it to the bike shop for a repair and true!
Old 09-16-19, 10:36 AM
stevel610 

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
I'm not sure why you decided to mix spokes, but it doesn't make a difference if you aren't using a tension meter to gauge your repair. If you have a musical ear (notes sound different) you can get your spokes in sufficient tension by listening to the tone made when you pluck a spoke. The thinner gauge butted spokes you bought will not sound the same as the straight gauge spokes, less material means they'll likely have a higher pitch at proper tension.

How are you gauging true on your wheel? Are you using the fork and brake pads, or a stand?

Another thought, to address the cause instead of the symptoms: You broke three spokes on a front wheel, which to me indicates damage to the rim if the wheel otherwise gave great service. Spokes fail because of tension loading cycles, if a spoke is too loose, the repeated tensioning will cause it to fatigue and break. Rim damage, like a flat spot, will allow spokes to relax enough to eventually break. If you haven't already, check your radial true, or how round the wheel rim is (with the tire off).

Worst case scenario, if you can't figure it out, you can bring it to the bike shop for a repair and true!

Thanks so much. I retensioned the spokes and road it around the block. Good to go so far.

Never realized the problem a flat spot would cause. Will remove the tire and adjust if needed.

As you say, if all else fails, I'll take it to the shop.
Old 09-17-19, 06:30 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
Thanks so much. I retensioned the spokes and road it around the block. Good to go so far.

Never realized the problem a flat spot would cause. Will remove the tire and adjust if needed.

As you say, if all else fails, I'll take it to the shop.
The method you described is NOT stress relieving...also...doing what you do risks tacoing the wheel.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 10-10-19, 10:01 AM
stevel610 

Thanks for all the helpful information. I did tighten the spokes a bit more and I've been riding on it for a couple of weeks. Staying true so I guess what I did worked. Couldn't have done it without all the helpful suggestions. Thanks again.
Likes For stevel610:
Old 10-10-19, 02:49 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
14 gauge nipples screw onto 15 gauge spokes because they have the same thread pitch. They are sloppy though.
They just pull out easy.
Check your spoke gauge.
Old 11-21-19, 07:47 AM
stevel610 

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
14 gauge nipples screw onto 15 gauge spokes because they have the same thread pitch. They are sloppy though.
They just pull out easy.
Check your spoke gauge.
Thanks!