Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Finally a Road Bike for me.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 06:44 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,007 Posts

Well,

It seems like forever that I've been lurking the LBS's around me forever trying this and trying that, looking on eBay and Craig's List, well I found one that will fill the void in my cycling needs. I found a 2004 Specialized Allez Comp on Craig's List for $725.00. It has a complete Ultegra Group, 9 spd, Mavic Open Pro 32 spoke, Utegra hubs, Look pedals, he even threw in some brand new never worn pair of Sidi shoes. Dude is getting married and the future Mrs., said it's got to go. So I said I would take it off your hands.

I'm going to take it to the LBS tomorrow to get it size and setup for me, and then I will post some pics with my new ride. While it's a little more stretched than I like, I am going to set it up to be a little more relaxed and as I gain more experience and lose some more weight will put it a little more agressive.

It looks like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Spec Allez.jpg (24.9 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by jaxgtr; 03-30-07 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-30-07, 07:01 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Well,

It seems like forever that I've been lurking the LBS's around me forever trying this and trying that, looking on eBay and Craig's List, well I found one that will fill the void in my cycling needs. I found a 2004 Specialized Allez Comp on Craig's List for $725.00. It has a complete Ultegra Group, 9 spd, Mavic Open Pro 32 spoke, Utegra hubs, Look pedals, he even threw in some brand new never worn pair of Sidi shoes. Dude is getting married and the future Mrs., said it's got to go. So I said I would take it off your hands.

I'm going to take it to the LBS tomorrow to get it size and setup for me, and then I will post some pics with my new ride. While it's a little more stretched than I like, I am going to set it up to be a little more relaxed and as I gain more experience and lose some more weight will put it a little more agressive.

It looks like this.
SCHWEET!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 03-30-07, 07:04 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Sorry, I had to fix the picture. I have a better one loaded. I just found the same bike on ebay and it has some fairly good pics.

https://cgi.ebay.com/04-Specialized-A...ayphotohosting

Old 03-30-07, 07:09 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
SCHWEET!
Yea, I'm stoked and can't wait to ride it around with the proper setup for me.

Old 03-30-07, 07:48 PM
ronjon10

Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and the future Mrs., said it's got to go. So I said I would take it off your hands.
Congrats on the bike! Feel sorry for that guy though. Whipped!
Old 03-30-07, 08:51 PM
Chris in WCVA
Mountain Man on a MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When he's the Clyde, she'll wish he'd kept the bike!

That's a great bike! I'd say its....Schwell!
Old 03-31-07, 06:12 AM
jaxgtr

Oh, he's got other's, this one of 3 or 4 that he was letting go.

Old 04-01-07, 05:10 PM
Soonerinfrisco

Bikes: Specialized Allez cromoly, Fisher Paragon 29er

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, he's got other's, this one of 3 or 4 that he was letting go.

He is SCREWED!
Old 04-01-07, 05:43 PM
(51)
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sweet looking bike! I shudder just looking at those spokes. I'm afraid I would taco those suckers in no time.

I guess you'll be speeding by me in the mileage chart soon

Tom we need a "Hybrid Emeritus" certificate made for jaxgtr.
Old 04-01-07, 07:55 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by (51)
Sweet looking bike! I shudder just looking at those spokes. I'm afraid I would taco those suckers in no time.

I guess you'll be speeding by me in the mileage chart soon

Tom we need a "Hybrid Emeritus" certificate made for jaxgtr.
Well will see on the milage, I still want to do my century on my Hybrid just to say I did. Since the position is so much different than what I am used to, I am going to ease into this bike and not make my first ride a 50 mile 18 mph rampage, but I so want to have an avg speed in that range in the future. I figure I will start out at 10 or 15 and go from there. While the seat seem comfy on the test ride, I might find it not so comfy after 10 miles.

The wheels on the bike in the pic are not what I have thank goodness, while I am riding low spoke count wheels now, I don't think I could push my luck at 16 spokes. Luckily this bike came with 32 spoke Open Pro's built by Wheelsmith, and I think they are the gold label model. This dude spared no cost and did not go cheap on this bike, but he did work at a local LBS, so I got to assume he got them at a much better rate than the general public.

I'll still be riding my Hybrid, especially on days when it raining or a heavy threat to rain, which you are well aware of, happens quite often in our Florida summer's.

Old 04-01-07, 10:26 PM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whoa, sweet ride! Talk about a craigslist score, this is one of the better ones I've heard of!

Welcome to Specialized land. After reading this post, I think I'll ride my much-neglected Specialized tomorrow. Startin' to miss it a bit
Old 04-02-07, 05:59 PM
jaxgtr

Yea, I can't wait to pick it up from the LBS after the tune up and adjustments. I'm thinking this might be the once in a lifetime deal as I almost bought a Pilot 2.1 about 2 weeks ago, but held off as something in the back of my mine said, "Wait, Don't Do It. You'll be sorry". I almost got some new shoes too, but waited on those until I got the new bike, now both have been solved.

The only thing bothering me is the LBS where I do most of my business and where I took the bike to get the work done is not a Specialized dealer and I was given somewhat of a cold shoulder when I brought the bike in. I eneded up taking it to the local Specialized dealer. I was a little shocked by the reception I got as I have spent many a dollar in their business and probably will continue to frequent the shop, but I don't know how much more money I will be dropping there. I don't know if it was the brand or if it was the fact that I got it off Craig's List as I have seen many brands not sold by them in the shop for service, so I figured I wouldn't catch any grief, but it was a weird vibe I got.

Anyone else ever have this experience?

Old 04-02-07, 07:00 PM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had that vibe before, oddly from the shop where I ended up buying my last bike. I didn't like the vibe I got, but on a whim went there when I was looking for another bike. It must have been just a bad batch of employees, as they have gone above and beyond now to accommodate my needs and wants. Only thing that sucks is that they are across town, on a arterial that is ALWAYS jam packed with traffic. The shops closer to me are allright, but tend to be higher priced and not as knowledgeable.

Ironically, the place I bought my Specialized from is a great shop, and one that I was told to avoid. They've done great work every time I've been in there, and the mechanics seem to be genuine bike guys.

Which.. with the impending nasty weather here, I'll be putting some miles on my Specialized.
Old 04-07-07, 09:18 PM
jaxgtr

I completely forgot to post a picture of the new ride. I really comfortable on it. Did hae to move my saddle from my hybrid over as the saddle the bike came with I'm not quite ready for. The shoes the guy gave me did not fit real good, so I sold them and will be picking up some new ones this week so I can use my road peddles.

I also visited my favorite LBS issues seem to have healed with a little time. The guy I typically talked to came out and looked at the bike the other day and even took it for a ride and said it was a nice ride. I am going to join the shop for a ride this week after they close.

Old 04-07-07, 09:34 PM
biffstephens
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool....congrats on the purchase....

That looks like one heck of a deal....
Old 04-08-07, 12:13 PM
conurejade
flying on 2 wheels

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7100 - modified. 2008 Orbea Onix Dama - Campy Centaur

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Terrific looking ride!!

I'm 6-8 months away from a road bike myself - but maybe I'll just vicariously enjoy your good fortune until then.
It just proves that good things come to those who wait. Congrats!
Old 04-08-07, 12:26 PM
PATH
Opus

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Bianchi Axis, Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Roubaix, Miyata Sportsrunner, Trek T1 Track Bike, Specialized CrossTrail Expert, Specialized Tricross Comp Triple

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sweet looking bike! Enjoy!

2007 Specialized Tricross Comp Triple, 2007 Trek T1, 2006 Specialized Roubaix
2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1989 Miyata Sportrunner, 2006 Bianchi Axis, 2008 Specialized Crosstrail Expert

Lullaby Of Foo

Now I lay me down to sleep
Keep my bike safe from the bicycle thief
Keep my tootsies toasty warm
keep my carbon from any harm

Good Night Road Bike
Good Night Moutain Bike
Good night all you Foosters
And good night Moon
Old 04-08-07, 12:53 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
That's a great looking bike! Congrats!

One comment though, you may want to level out that seat.

Enjoy the new ride!

Ken
ps - Will you be coming over here to Gainesville for the "Ride to Remember" on May 12th? Let me know and maybe we can do a BF group ride for part of the century (it'll be my first "long ride" back after a 3 week layoff, so I'm not even sure I'll be able to do the whole century).
Old 04-08-07, 02:43 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by kensuf
That's a great looking bike! Congrats!

One comment though, you may want to level out that seat.

Enjoy the new ride!

Ken
ps - Will you be coming over here to Gainesville for the "Ride to Remember" on May 12th? Let me know and maybe we can do a BF group ride for part of the century (it'll be my first "long ride" back after a 3 week layoff, so I'm not even sure I'll be able to do the whole century).
Yea, I pulled that seat off my hybrid just before I took the pic and it was level on that bike. I took a 15 mile ride on the other seat it came with and I pretty much rode home standing up, man was that thing painful after a couple miles. It had some Michilen Pro2 Race tires that were pretty worn and had a couple of small cuts that look like it could be trouble and since those tires are pretty soft, I figured with my weight I would be blowing through them pretty quick. I just put on the Michelin Krylion Carbon tires about an hour ago that have a lot of good reviews on them. 2 for $48 on ebay.

As far as the Ride to Remember, that is up in the air. Wife has to go out of town that weekend so I have munchkins duty. Trying to find someone to watch them now, so will see. I am going to try and get down to Hawthorn sometime soon as well. I'll PM you if I can go so we can meet up somewhere.

Have fun on your tip oversea's. I'm still trying to convince the wife to do a tour through the Tuscan region of Italy, but she not quite in to this riding thing yet. She does short 5 and 10 mile rides, 60 to 100 is not her idea of fun.

Old 04-08-07, 04:54 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Yea, I pulled that seat off my hybrid just before I took the pic and it was level on that bike. I took a 15 mile ride on the other seat it came with and I pretty much rode home standing up, man was that thing painful after a couple miles. It had some Michilen Pro2 Race tires that were pretty worn and had a couple of small cuts that look like it could be trouble and since those tires are pretty soft, I figured with my weight I would be blowing through them pretty quick. I just put on the Michelin Krylion Carbon tires about an hour ago that have a lot of good reviews on them. 2 for $48 on ebay.
Although I *really* love the pro2 races, they do cut easily and I find myself supergluing a few of the cuts at least once a week..

Considering your weight (BTW, congrats on dropping below that 3 number!), you may want to consider Specialized Armadillos. They're supposed to be just about bulletproof. Maybe 25's too.

Let me know about the R2R when you've figured out. From next Saturday until May 7th-ish, I'll be gone, but I'll check my PM's when I get back.
Old 04-08-07, 05:26 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Jax, we'll be posting pics when we get back from our tour, maybe that'll get the bug in your wife as well!

As far as the Ride to Remember, that is up in the air. Wife has to go out of town that weekend so I have munchkins duty. Trying to find someone to watch them now, so will see. I am going to try and get down to Hawthorn sometime soon as well. I'll PM you if I can go so we can meet up somewhere.

Have fun on your tip oversea's. I'm still trying to convince the wife to do a tour through the Tuscan region of Italy, but she not quite in to this riding thing yet. She does short 5 and 10 mile rides, 60 to 100 is not her idea of fun.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-08-07, 06:36 PM
jaxgtr

Yea look at the Armadillo's, but a friend of mine who rode on them had all sorts of problems, but not sure if it was the rider or the tire. I've been real happy with the Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase 28's I've been riding on, but those are a little tight on the rear with the chain stays, so I thought I'd give the Michelin's a go. I hate giving my hard earned money to the French, but every so often, you have to roll the dice. I like to see how a different tire brand handles compared to what I'm used to. Considering I was riding 38's at first, the 23's are a huge difference, but so far they seem fairly stable.

I'm going to actually leave the hood tonight since I've changed the rubber to see how the bike feels and handles on my normal route. Ride up a couple of parking garages and bridges as well which will be interesting on the way down. Look out below ...........Fat guy on a bike coming through.

Tom, that will be great. Can wait to see them.

Old 04-08-07, 07:08 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I completely forgot to post a picture of the new ride. I really comfortable on it. Did hae to move my saddle from my hybrid over as the saddle the bike came with I'm not quite ready for. The shoes the guy gave me did not fit real good, so I sold them and will be picking up some new ones this week so I can use my road peddles.

I also visited my favorite LBS issues seem to have healed with a little time. The guy I typically talked to came out and looked at the bike the other day and even took it for a ride and said it was a nice ride. I am going to join the shop for a ride this week after they close.

Nice bike! What a reward for breaking 300!

Old 04-09-07, 12:28 AM
lutz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Armadillos - bulletproof but...

The Armadillo tires are certainly bulletproof, but you pay for this security.
I could not believe it when I mounted them for the first time. It was like cycling with a heavy trailer. These things roll like molasses. I never experienced something alike with any other tire.
I one appreciates the added exercise they are great. I am running now Continental Ultra Gatorskins (supposedly also very flat-resistant) and I am feeling about ten years younger again.

Congrats to this nice bike!
Old 04-09-07, 02:14 AM
(51)
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sexy

Keep us posted on your impressions once the "honeymoon" is over. I'm considering getting a custom bike, but I am a bit leary of the $3,000 price tag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.