Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone get the new RFLKT from Wahoo yet?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone get the new RFLKT from Wahoo yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-13, 05:19 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
The rub, Halfspeed, is that the market potential is not in existing powermeter/ANT+ users, but in the millions of cyclists waiting and yet to enter the market. They're not invested in a comm protocol one way or the other... unless you realize that 90% of them already have BT mobile phones or other devices.

The percentage of existing PM users who are unwilling to upgrade to a new PM and head unit ( and ergo, comm protocol) is vanishingly small compared to the latent potential of combined first time PM users and existing PM users who are willing to upgrade 'whole hog'.

Anyway, even though I don't find your static model compelling, it is all purely speculative, and time will tell. I, at least, don't have a dog in this fight.
That might make some sense if that potential market were anything but wild speculation. What's truly vanishingly small is the number of cyclists willing to do any of what's necessary to make power meters of any use. Sure, a $99 power meter might be purchased by some cyclists just to monitor the number next to their average speed, but we're a long, long way away from that happening. And there's still the small problem of cell phones not being particularly good head units.
Old 03-31-13, 05:36 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 951 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
What does RFLKT stand for? (I know what the product is.)
"Reflect" (as in, it reflects what is on the phone).
Old 03-31-13, 05:38 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 1,723 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
That might make some sense if that potential market were anything but wild speculation. What's truly vanishingly small is the number of cyclists willing to do any of what's necessary to make power meters of any use. Sure, a $99 power meter might be purchased by some cyclists just to monitor the number next to their average speed, but we're a long, long way away from that happening. And there's still the small problem of cell phones not being particularly good head units.
Which brings us back to the topic of this thread, the RFLKT. Phones don't have to be head units, and we don't need $99 power meters for there to be cyclists in the future. I really don' understand why you think all that's important in determing future leading device comm protocols are the current PM users...it really doesn't seem to make sense. Do you really believe that anyone who wants a PM now already has an ANT+ device? Do you really believe that if there was a BT PM option, no one would select it because their phone is already compatible?

Forgive me if I'm being dense here, but really, I'm not following you.
Old 03-31-13, 05:38 PM
njkayaker

Here to stay. Widely adopted standards are incredibly hard to unseat.
ANT+ is owned by Garmin. It requires a licensing fee to support it. Not so for BT. And there are a lot of reasons for phones to support BT.
Old 03-31-13, 05:41 PM
njkayaker

The fact that every single power meter made (with the not particularly notable exception of the Look/Polar pedal) uses ANT+ means it isn't going anywhere. You're not going to see a mass defection of owners from their devices just so they can use a different protocol or hook up to their phone instead of their Garmin.
There might not be much of a reason that the power meter companies can't provide models that support either one or the other or both.

Here's a HR monitor that will retransmit ANT+ to BT.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/09/4...oth-smart.html

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-31-13 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-31-13, 05:44 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by njkayaker
There might not be much of a reason that the power meter companies can't provide models that support either one or the other or both.
Good point, and DCRainmaker has reported that Wahoo RFLKT is poised to do just that-- i.e. utilize BT and ANT+-- in future versions.
Old 03-31-13, 06:21 PM
Nerull

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
ANT+ is owned by Garmin. It requires a licensing fee to support it. Not so for BT. And there are a lot of reasons for phones to support BT.
It costs $10k to slap the word 'Bluetooth' on your device, and more fees on top of that. Of course, I think you can avoid this by using chipsets which are themselves certified, but the same is true of ANT+ - no fee is required if you use one of their approved chips.
Old 03-31-13, 07:04 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Which brings us back to the topic of this thread, the RFLKT. Phones don't have to be head units, and we don't need $99 power meters for there to be cyclists in the future. I really don' understand why you think all that's important in determing future leading device comm protocols are the current PM users...it really doesn't seem to make sense. Do you really believe that anyone who wants a PM now already has an ANT+ device? Do you really believe that if there was a BT PM option, no one would select it because their phone is already compatible?

Forgive me if I'm being dense here, but really, I'm not following you.
You seemed to think that there's a vast untapped market for power meters that would drive BT adoption. I countered that no such market exists, even if prices fall dramatically.

The only thing BT brings to the table is the fact that it's already in most cell phones. That means you can do some nice things with the UI, but there's a reason head units are comparatively simplistic. Now, if you don't want to use the phone as an actual head unit and just want to use it as a brain for something like the RFLKT, then why on earth would I buy the RFLKT instead of a dedicated head unit that doesn't require a cell phone?
Old 03-31-13, 07:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

You seemed to think that there's a vast untapped market for power meters that would drive BT adoption. I countered that no such market exists, even if prices fall dramatically.

The only thing BT brings to the table is the fact that it's already in most cell phones. That means you can do some nice things with the UI, but there's a reason head units are comparatively simplistic. Now, if you don't want to use the phone as an actual head unit and just want to use it as a brain for something like the RFLKT, then why on earth would I buy the RFLKT instead of a dedicated head unit that doesn't require a cell phone?
I don't know if you willfully misrepresented all that I've said and really can't figure out what advantages a mobile phone brings over a dedicated head unit, but congratulations on dragging the discussion down to the ridiculous. You'll have to enjoy your success without me, however.
Old 03-31-13, 07:42 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know if you willfully misrepresented all that I've said and really can't figure out what advantages a mobile phone brings over a dedicated head unit, but congratulations on dragging the discussion down to the ridiculous. You'll have to enjoy your success without me, however.
Ummm. OK.
Old 04-01-13, 11:38 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I want my iPhone to be available after 6 hours of riding when a buddy calls to join him and my phone is only half charged. My garmin gets plugged in when I return home but my phone isn't always perfectly charged. I'll be sticking with my Garmin 500 for the foreseeable future.
Old 04-01-13, 12:00 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by digibud
I want my iPhone to be available after 6 hours of riding when a buddy calls to join him and my phone is only half charged.
Old 04-01-13, 03:41 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
I want my iPhone to be available after 6 hours of riding when a buddy calls to join him and my phone is only half charged. My garmin gets plugged in when I return home but my phone isn't always perfectly charged. I'll be sticking with my Garmin 500 for the foreseeable future.
Couldn't you just plug your phone in when you plug your garmin in?

Old 04-01-13, 04:01 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Couldn't you just plug your phone in when you plug your garmin in?
My Garmin is always either on a charger or on my bike while I'm riding. Neither my 305, 500, 705 nor 810 has gotten anywhere near low on a charge. My phone gets charged every night and it often sits on a charger at work or in my car and it still gets run near zero quite regularly. The battery life is short (even with the optional larger battery) and it gets a lot of general use. So I have to be careful to make sure that it doesn't run out. If I were to also use it as a ride data recorder, I have no doubt that it would either be run to zero on a ride leaving me with no data and no way to make an emergency call, or I'd need to shut it down and do without data. Apparently, there's supposed to be some great benefit to using a phone as a data recorder that would make those eventualities acceptable, but I'll be damned if can figure out what that benefit might be.
Old 04-01-13, 05:24 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My phone gets charged every night and it often sits on a charger at work or in my car and it still gets run near zero quite regularly. The battery life is short (even with the optional larger battery) and it gets a lot of general use.
You're over charging your battery. Instead of leaving it sit on the charger or charging it on a regular schedule, try only charging it when needed and letting the battery drain to zero at least once a week. I can make it two days normal use on my iphone5 before it needs to be charged.

Anyway, yeah, I don't feel a smartphone is the best alternative for a cyclocomputer, especially if you're doing long rides in the middle of nowhere and are worried you might have an issue and not have a way to call for help. If you're not going for a long distance, maybe just a couple of hours or so, than a smartphone is probably a decent and cheaper alternative than buying a dedicated computer.

A lot of it will also depend on if you need to see your stats constantly while riding, or just on occasion. Running with the screen on at a high brightness will wipe out a battery pretty fast, I believe that's what RFLKT is trying to fix. For me, I've never had an issue with my battery running low as I don't leave the screen on. It would be interesting to see what the battery life is with just the needed app and bluetooth running in the background while the screen is off. I would imagine it would be at least 6-10 hours on a good battery, but it's hard to say.

Old 04-01-13, 06:10 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You're over charging your battery. Instead of leaving it sit on the charger or charging it on a regular schedule, try only charging it when needed and letting the battery drain to zero at least once a week. I can make it two days normal use on my iphone5 before it needs to be charged.

Anyway, yeah, I don't feel a smartphone is the best alternative for a cyclocomputer, especially if you're doing long rides in the middle of nowhere and are worried you might have an issue and not have a way to call for help. If you're not going for a long distance, maybe just a couple of hours or so, than a smartphone is probably a decent and cheaper alternative than buying a dedicated computer.

A lot of it will also depend on if you need to see your stats constantly while riding, or just on occasion. Running with the screen on at a high brightness will wipe out a battery pretty fast, I believe that's what RFLKT is trying to fix. For me, I've never had an issue with my battery running low as I don't leave the screen on. It would be interesting to see what the battery life is with just the needed app and bluetooth running in the background while the screen is off. I would imagine it would be at least 6-10 hours on a good battery, but it's hard to say.
If you're not even running the GPS and you don't ride more than an hour or two at a time, perhaps the simplest solution is a $25 computer from Nashbar.
Old 04-01-13, 06:52 PM
ruindd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can control the music on your phone with it? This might be worth it just for that.
Old 04-01-13, 07:05 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by ruindd
You can control the music on your phone with it? This might be worth it just for that.
You and your wild imagination! Music? On a phone?? Oh come on!!!
Old 04-01-13, 07:48 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you're not even running the GPS and you don't ride more than an hour or two at a time, perhaps the simplest solution is a $25 computer from Nashbar.
Which would probably be perfect for half the riders out there, but I like to track where I go. I enjoy Strava and mapmyride is handy for plotting out a longer course. It's just right now, its far easier for me to justify spending $600+ on a phone that serves multiple purposes than spending that much on a garmin 810 that serves one purpose. Perhaps one day, that will all change. I ended up buying the wahoo blue sc sensor, which I thought worked with Garmin devices, so if I ever decide that I need a garmin, I'm good to go.

Old 04-01-13, 07:50 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Lithium batteries don't suffer from memory effect, fully discharging them before charging doesn't help. In fact, they live longer if you leave them at about medium-charge all the time.

(It's actually impossible to fully discharge most lithium batteries, since this kills the cells and renders them useless. They have protection circuitry to cut them off before this happens. Leaving them discharged for a long time will do it, though.)

The RFLKT doesn't seem to support map displays, so it's more comparable to the 500. The unit itself is cheaper, but the accessories cost more than Garmin's.

Last edited by Nerull; 04-01-13 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-11-13, 01:58 PM
jyl

Bikes: 61 Bianchi Specialissima 71 Peugeot G50 7? P'geot PX10 74 Raleigh GranSport 75 P'geot UO8 78? Raleigh Team Pro 82 P'geot PSV 86 P'geot PX 91 Bridgestone MB0 92 B'stone XO1 97 Rans VRex 92 Cannondale R1000 94 B'stone MB5 97 Vitus 997

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Some recent info - Cyclemeter and Runmeter now support RFLKT.

Also, I was interested in using RFLKT when running. I'd carry my iPhone in a pocket or armband pouch. How to carry the RFLKT? Turns out, Wahoo is developing a quarter-turn mount for it, and there are wrist bands that take a quarter-turn mount.

I think RFLKT could make an interesting watch. The concept of using a watch as display/interface for an iPhone is starting to catch on anyway - e.g. the Pebble and the rumored iWatch.

The battery life of the iPhone is an issue, but if you turn off WiFi, unused apps and display, an iPhone will run Cyclemeter for many hours. For the Seattle to Portland last year, I ran Cyclemeter on my iPhone 4S and was around 40% battery by the end of each 100 mile ride.

Note, I don't have any connection to Wahoo and don't actually own a RFLKT - have been waiting for Cyclemeter support and to read a few more reviews.
Old 04-18-13, 08:32 AM
gforeman 

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not too happy with my RFLKT

It just seems to be one thing after another. Yesterday, 5 minutes into my ride, the RFLKT locked up. Froze on one screen and could not be changed. Holding the two top buttons would not reset as it has in the past. Of course being out, meant I could do nothing. When I got home, I finally opened it and pulled the battery. The top right screw was stripped , it would just spin and not back out. By removing the other three, and holding the case open to put pressure on the screw, I got it removed, but still upset it was stripped.

No one wants this to work more than me, but I am spending more time messing with it than I do enjoying it.

At this point I'm going to return it while I can until they get the bugs worked out.

2019 Specialized Crux Elite X1
2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
My bike page: https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
Old 04-18-13, 08:49 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerull
Lithium batteries don't suffer from memory effect, fully discharging them before charging doesn't help. In fact, they live longer if you leave them at about medium-charge all the time.

(It's actually impossible to fully discharge most lithium batteries, since this kills the cells and renders them useless. They have protection circuitry to cut them off before this happens. Leaving them discharged for a long time will do it, though.)

The RFLKT doesn't seem to support map displays, so it's more comparable to the 500. The unit itself is cheaper, but the accessories cost more than Garmin's.
I did not know that. I just kept doing it with my new phones as I always did it with my old phones. However, going along with the "live longer if you leave them at about medium-charge" comment, not charging your phone constantly, means it's staying in the medium charge range longer, giving more life to the battery.

Old 05-21-13, 04:37 PM
Hlxdrummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to chime in about the Pebble watch. It displays speed, mileage, time, lets you change your songs, etc. Just no cadence. But for $150 plus other features (tells you about emails/messages/calls/it is waterproof/running apps/etc) it seems pretty sweet!
Old 05-21-13, 07:56 PM
gforeman 

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I replaced my RFLKT, and the new one has been working flawlessly. Just FYI.

2019 Specialized Crux Elite X1
2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
My bike page: https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.