Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Toe Clip Cleats... long gone?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-08, 07:28 PM
mr coffee
NOS

Bikes: – '92 Paramount – '04 Trek 2300 – '03 Lemond Zurich – '06 Carrera (and the bikes in the sig!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I mean come on. I walk into bike shops and nobody understands what I'm even looking for... the cleats that keep you from yanking your shoe out of the toe-clips at the 9 o'clock spot of your stroke.

Otherwise known as the track-stander's worst enemy.

Anyone have an extra pair or know where I can order some?
Old 06-15-08, 07:32 PM
Butcher

Bikes: 2005 S-Works SR Equipped,1978 Tom Ritchie Road bike, Kuwahara Tandem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know what you are saying, try eBay. Every now and then someone posts some cleats.
Old 06-15-08, 07:32 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
https://www.yellowjersey.org/tocleat.html
Old 06-15-08, 07:57 PM
mr coffee
NOS

Bikes: – '92 Paramount – '04 Trek 2300 – '03 Lemond Zurich – '06 Carrera (and the bikes in the sig!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Guy!
Old 06-15-08, 08:06 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Find an old italian shoe repair guy and hand your shoes to him. He'll know what to do. And it will bew alot cheaper than the 40 buck TA cleats that should sell for about $10.
Old 06-15-08, 08:16 PM
Hapich
Road since 83

Bikes: Merckx Corsa Extra, Fuga, Ciocc Genius, Bottecchia, Geurcciotti

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cleats

If your shoes have the 3 slot Look pedal cleat pattern MKS makes a track cleat that works fine. Easy to find too. Thats what I use on my retro bikes. I found some retro looking shoes from early 90's with this pattern and use them for my toe clip pedals. I don't have the model number but you will be able to figure it out I think. You have too get a hairnet helmet too!
Old 06-16-08, 06:20 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
https://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-T-A-J-ANQUET...3286.m20.l1116
Old 06-16-08, 06:55 AM
mr coffee
NOS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow... Those are cool enough to start looking for much older shoes.
Old 06-16-08, 09:51 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Brusin
I mean come on. I walk into bike shops and nobody understands what I'm even looking for... the cleats that keep you from yanking your shoe out of the toe-clips at the 9 o'clock spot of your stroke.

Otherwise known as the track-stander's worst enemy.

Anyone have an extra pair or know where I can order some?
I have a couple different kinds. Which shoes ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-16-08, 10:04 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 616 Posts
I tried to resize pictures of the cleats so I could post them, but I'm having trouble. PM me and I'll email them. If I have the right kind, just give me a couple of bucks plus shipping.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-16-08, 02:03 PM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Josh, I grew up with those. And I used them on my track bikes during the 1960s to 70s [...which I rode on the roads, and without brakes, long before the current term and concept of "Fixie" had even existed... "Stupid" was the general term that most folks had used for the guys like me ].

Funny you should inquire now... Here are some photos of old shoes and cleats which I just recently uploaded showing my remaining personal stash of both my ancient shoes and various cleats - all from 30 to 40 years ago. https://www.flickr.com/photos/strongl...7605598848185/

Sorry Josh, these shoes are all sized for my own feet which are (or at least once were) size 42.5-43 (8 1/2 - 9 in US). The leather shoes were always quite narrow but did stretch a bit to conform to your foot after not too many hot sweaty miles in the saddle. The "trick" for setting up the cleats would be to ride without them for a bit until the pedal cage indicated a mark on the sole right where you would want the cleat placed. Then you would take the shoes to a local shoe repair shop and have the local shoe maker (cobbler?) nail down the cleats. They always did a better job than I ever could. They had steel forms which fitted inside the shoes so any inward protruding nails would easily bend at the points and permanently lock down the cleats very tightly. Thin silk (yes, literally pure silk) cycling socks were most often used to help wick away moisture from the feet. Yes, I still have vivid memories of it all.

These were all that we once had known. So, there was no real reference point from which to regard these as dangerous attachments - just a necessary part of "serious" cycling. And these were even used for touring. One particular pair of shoes & cleats had lasted me through many thousands of miles of cycletouring through Europe around 1970-71. And, contrary to popular belief, they really were not complete Death Traps. You just quickly learned to tighten your straps right to the perfect point that you could force out a foot with an upward pull if absolutely necessary.

On the other hand, after a couple serious crashes, I did regain consciousness to find myself still with the bike locked between my legs... DOH! However, the same can occur with modern clipless pedals if pedal tension is adjusted tightly - as you would likely do for a real race - and you often do see this still in the modern Tour de France pile-ups.

Do I still use these now? No, not at all.

My current cycling shoes range from SPD touring-style shoes (typically cheap ones)... to BMX/Skate style... to simple canvas Sperry Top-Siders which I commonly ride on vintage platform pedals (similar to the MKS Sylvan Touring pedals Rivendell sells). - But, aah, those memories!