Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

littlehelp please!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

littlehelp please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-23, 12:25 PM
NEWtie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
littlehelp please!

hello,

I got a used bike from a friend and am wanting to get in in better condition. I have a few questions about how to do certain things and I do not have much knowledge in this field so Iam asking you guys for some advice such as:

Which parts of the bike do I have to clean and with what..degreaser?just plain soap?...

how do I make sure the front suspension is working and if not how do i clean and improve it

If i were to sandblast the frame should I remove the pedals and the gears along with them?

I have a few questions more and will probably get a few more as I go along with the project. I can provide photos so If anyone can help me out, I thank you very much
Old 07-09-23, 08:42 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Get rid of the dirt, grease whatever without using harsh chemicals or high pressure water. If you're going to sandblast the bike frame, you need to remove all the parts; this is ill-advised. Clean it, take it to a bike shop or ask a knowledgeable friend if there's anything that's unsafe and ride it for a while. You're almost guaranteed the fork is shot, but as long as the bike is safe to ride, get some exercise while you learn (and read Sheldon Brown for tips on function and maintenance).
Old 07-09-23, 11:21 AM
NEWtie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Get rid of the dirt, grease whatever without using harsh chemicals or high pressure water. If you're going to sandblast the bike frame, you need to remove all the parts; this is ill-advised. Clean it, take it to a bike shop or ask a knowledgeable friend if there's anything that's unsafe and ride it for a while. You're almost guaranteed the fork is shot, but as long as the bike is safe to ride, get some exercise while you learn (and read Sheldon Brown for tips on function and maintenance).
thanks man.
if I stumble upon them, I'll ask more questions as I go about this project.