Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Levis Commuter Jeans

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Levis Commuter Jeans

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-11, 01:17 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by DrewShannon
I'm not sure I agree. I think a lot of those twentysomething males (including myself) will happily pay for higher-quality denim, and really, $78 for a pair of jeans isn't THAT much, especially if they last a long time. The designer denim craze of the past few years is a testament to that, I think.
Good point...but my guess is that these won't be sought after by dudes that are into denim or dudes that are into cycling. Instead of pulling from both markets, it will actually be of interest to those who are in the intersection of both markets...and then, just a fraction of them being that it isn't great denim nor is it great cycling equipment.

Denim culture was either an off-shoot or ran parallel with sneaker culture (which were both genres of the "I got this and you don't" hipster culture). Both of which have cooled down a lot...or maybe I'm getting old.

It's funny how many dudes bought jeans and sneakers only to impress other dudes. Most of the sneakers are butt-ugly. I should know, I have a closet full of them. Ask a girl that you like which shoes are hot and I bet she's pick some basic shoe from Footlocker. And if you are interested in getting her attention, I suggest you get those. But, if you want attention from a bunch of dudes on the internet, spend $400 on some funky colored sneakers that should retail for $80. (sorry for the rant).
Old 07-24-11, 01:28 AM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^Exactly. + These are pants that are meant to be used for "commuting" as their name would suggest. I really don't see these holding up for a long time

I do like the high waist and the reinforced crotch but I'm not sure that justifies them being 2x the price of a normal pair of Levis. If you're counting on the reflectors to save your ass, you're already in trouble, that's just 10 cents of material they're using in order to add another 'feature' to it
Old 07-24-11, 01:46 AM
carleton
Elitist

It would be a shame if the same dudes that were willing to buy and wear girl jeans because they were "better for cycling" avoid these purpose-built Levis like the plague.
Old 07-24-11, 08:28 AM
DrewShannon

Bikes: 2012 Mercier Kilo TT (black)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
Good point...but my guess is that these won't be sought after by dudes that are into denim or dudes that are into cycling. Instead of pulling from both markets, it will actually be of interest to those who are in the intersection of both markets...and then, just a fraction of them being that it isn't great denim nor is it great cycling equipment.

Denim culture was either an off-shoot or ran parallel with sneaker culture (which were both genres of the "I got this and you don't" hipster culture). Both of which have cooled down a lot...or maybe I'm getting old.

It's funny how many dudes bought jeans and sneakers only to impress other dudes. Most of the sneakers are butt-ugly. I should know, I have a closet full of them. Ask a girl that you like which shoes are hot and I bet she's pick some basic shoe from Footlocker. And if you are interested in getting her attention, I suggest you get those. But, if you want attention from a bunch of dudes on the internet, spend $400 on some funky colored sneakers that should retail for $80. (sorry for the rant).
Good points all around. While I don't necessarily regret spending absurd amounts of money on jeans, per se, I'm much happier now spending <$50 on a solid pair of Levis.
Old 07-24-11, 09:00 AM
TheBikeRollsOn 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamfoh
^Exactly. + These are pants that are meant to be used for "commuting" as their name would suggest. I really don't see these holding up for a long time

I do like the high waist and the reinforced crotch but I'm not sure that justifies them being 2x the price of a normal pair of Levis. If you're counting on the reflectors to save your ass, you're already in trouble, that's just 10 cents of material they're using in order to add another 'feature' to it
You missed the biggest selling point though, their resistance to water, if they are pretty water resistant then I think that alone makes them worth buying (though not at $80, maybe $50).
Old 07-24-11, 11:56 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Levi's has fixed a whole mess of imaginary problems here, in addition to convincing people that denim is waterproof. Bravo.
Old 07-24-11, 01:06 PM
muckymucky
on Baby Charlie Concept~

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
saw these at the mall. shook my head.
Old 07-24-11, 01:09 PM
calv
Painfully average.

Bikes: Caad10 / All-City SP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
^In delight? You have three pairs.
Old 07-24-11, 03:09 PM
muckymucky
on Baby Charlie Concept~

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no they are not skinny enough. i need most leg constriction possible.
Old 07-24-11, 03:11 PM
muckymucky
on Baby Charlie Concept~

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
leg + crotch*
Old 07-24-11, 03:35 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by muckymucky
no they are not skinny enough. i need most leg constriction possible.
You could always do this:

Old 07-24-11, 03:45 PM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBikeRollsOn
You missed the biggest selling point though, their resistance to water, if they are pretty water resistant then I think that alone makes them worth buying (though not at $80, maybe $50).
True, depending on how well that works.
Old 07-24-11, 04:06 PM
chambers078

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would consider getting a pair if they were about $50 and came in a style other than 511s.

As some one who actually rides their bike, my thighs are too big for skinny jeans.
Old 07-24-11, 04:17 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Needs Sprinters Cut like with Swerve
Old 07-24-11, 04:45 PM
calv
Painfully average.

Bikes: Caad10 / All-City SP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
You could always do this:

+1
Old 07-24-11, 04:59 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Levi's has fixed a whole mess of imaginary problems here, in addition to convincing people that denim is waterproof. Bravo.
My thinking. Although Im certain they would call it, "... a response to a particular market need."

My other thought is this: perhaps we should be grateful that a major consumer manufacturer would deem it worthy to make something like this, at all.
Soon the Gap, Old Navy and a host of others are liable to follow suit, and competition usually causes the price to adjust down.**

Not to mention, it could add another tiny dust-mote of awareness for the bicycle as serious transport.

**(However, as with all things 'cycling', this may not be the case)
Old 07-24-11, 05:10 PM
Verbose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dahut
My thinking. Although Im certain they would call it, "... a response to a particular market need."

My other thought is this: perhaps we should be grateful that a major consumer manufacturer would deem it worthy to make something like this, at all.
Soon the Gap, Old Navy and a host of others are liable to follow suit, and competition usually causes the price to adjust down.**

Not to mention, it could add another tiny dust-mote of awareness for the bicycle as serious transport.

**(However, as with all things 'cycling', this may not be the case)

NPR ran an interesting story a few months back about stores using bicycles alongside their product lines to help sell products. They interviewed one of the marketing people from Crate and Barrow or one of those type of retailers. Basically she said something along the lines of "As long as the people find it interesting we will continue to use this approach," but admitted that the trend would likely taper off in 6 months. This was in terms of bicycles as an accessory to their product lines, rather than a direct influence on their lines, so hopefully you are right in hoping that it's another little push in the right direction.
Old 07-24-11, 05:46 PM
carleton
Elitist

Marketing companies have been using skateboards to sell crap to teen and pre-teen boys for decades.

Old 07-24-11, 05:51 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Verbose
NPR ran an interesting story a few months back about stores using bicycles alongside their product lines to help sell products. They interviewed one of the marketing people from Crate and Barrow or one of those type of retailers. Basically she said something along the lines of "As long as the people find it interesting we will continue to use this approach," but admitted that the trend would likely taper off in 6 months. This was in terms of bicycles as an accessory to their product lines, rather than a direct influence on their lines, so hopefully you are right in hoping that it's another little push in the right direction.
Hope is all it was - I dont see major changes to our transport structure on behalf of bicycles soon.
Old 07-24-11, 11:03 PM
highonpez

Bikes: 2010 Windsor The Hour, 1982 Fuji Supreme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mashtofu
You talk about girls like my grandfather talks about minorities.
Hahaha. Most excellent.

edit: With maybe a hint of sad.
Old 07-25-11, 11:26 AM
andrizzle
Enson

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
please reference the below link for my thoughts on where this thread has gone.

thanks,

Link for Reference
Old 07-25-11, 01:32 PM
sau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for all this chatter about these denim you would think that someone on these forums would have bought one and posted a photo of himself sporting it. it is almost discouraging that no one has done so yet.

meanwhile, the question remains: who will be the first to make levis commuter jean cut-offs.
Old 07-25-11, 10:07 PM
redpear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Theres a Levis commuter crop, does that count?

Image is totally lulz
Old 07-26-11, 12:07 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
nanonad technology
Old 07-26-11, 02:02 AM
rustybrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redpear
Theres a Levis commuter crop, does that count?

Image is totally...
...Europe circa 1998.

Plus, you get wet.

...ladies?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.