Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New steel frame. Small dings and defect

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New steel frame. Small dings and defect

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-19, 12:52 PM
grasscutter
Come on, 5 more minutes..

Bikes: At last count... 31. 11-19-22.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Dented? New?

I ponder this scenario if it were a new motorcycle or new car.

Same parameters: new, old stock, couple yrs on the lot, got a deal.
Does getting said deal mean I expect that it’s already pre-dented? Like a car dealers ‘hail sale’?

If I buy a new car, I expect new unless otherwise stated. If my discount deal is because of damage, mileage, etc, then diff story.

I dented both my car & motorcycle through years of ownership... But both were new and I expected nothing less. That was why I specifically bought those 2 purchases new, not used.

So yeah.
If it bothers you now, it’ll bother you later.
Old 12-16-19, 03:36 PM
CommaCam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know it's disappointing to get a "new" item with blemishes. That always sucks, regardless of price. That said, I recognized that colorway immediately -- this is a lovely frame and assuming it's aligned properly and fits you, you'll likely enjoy it very much. I'd probably just do what someone else here said and stick a couple stickers (or reflective tape) around the dings and forget about them at that price. But I would be inclined to check if everything was straight first.
Old 12-16-19, 03:48 PM
Slowridr

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I know it's hard to see but can anyone say why and how the bulge in pic 3 came about? Is this normal in a steel frame? Is it just the manufacturing process. I know it's small but find it strange.
​​​​​
Thanks

Getting annoyed that the manufacturer won't even contact me back. I've sent email with pics and nothing
Likes For Slowridr:
Old 12-16-19, 07:20 PM
slow_runner

Bikes: Early Shadow handcycle plus R20 project

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Right or wrong, you have made a decision. That is the correct thing to do.
I would speak with them direct and have all conversations confirmed by email. For accuracy, record the conversation if you wish.
If the frame was sold at discount in as new condition, then request an exchange or refund.
They may choose to ignore you but long distant relationships can be like that; fraught with infidelities, lies and deception.
You may have to live with it. So do so.
When I do, I buy used bikes only and I have never been disappointed in their condition or handling: how could you? They are already battle scarred and can only be improved. Mind you, I cannot ride anymore and I am less concerned.
I bought this one in all its beauty; without remorse.
Well, I haven't spent any money on it yet so my perspective may change in the future - but I doubt it as I knew what I was getting into.

Interesting tail light reflector

Paint code : green oxide

Last edited by slow_runner; 12-16-19 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-16-19, 10:54 PM
Commutess
Single speeder

Bikes: I have six.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not a problem

Originally Posted by Slowridr
Just received a new frame. Found a few little dings on inspection. Should I be concerned? Any safety concerns?
There is nothing wrong with the frame. If you got a good deal then just build it and ride it.
Old 12-16-19, 10:59 PM
Commutess
Single speeder

Bikes: I have six.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I know it's hard to see but can anyone say why and how the bulge in pic 3 came about? Is this normal in a steel frame? Is it just the manufacturing process. I know it's small but find it strange.
​​​​​
Thanks

Getting annoyed that the manufacturer won't even contact me back. I've sent email with pics and nothing
It's just the weld under the paint. It's obviously not a high end frame so there will be imperfections. The frame looks fine.
Old 12-17-19, 12:51 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
After reading the comments on this thread I am very happy that I did not choose a career in retail. The expectations from some people regarding a steeply discounted, old stock mid range frame is surprising.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 12-17-19, 10:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
After reading the comments on this thread I am very happy that I did not choose a career in retail. The expectations from some people regarding a steeply discounted, old stock mid range frame is surprising.
Consumer expectations follow vendor communication. If the vendor discloses issues, then the consumer's expectations will properly align. Its quite simple, really.
Old 12-17-19, 03:22 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
"Consumer expectations follow vendor communication. If the vendor discloses issues, then the consumer's expectations will properly align."

With this I do agree,
mstateglfr.

Did the OP post a link to the original advertisement for the frame? I'd like to see how it was described.
Old 12-17-19, 04:54 PM
slow_runner

Bikes: Early Shadow handcycle plus R20 project

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
From a local supplier down this way . $730.00 NZD which is currently $480 US

https://www.veloespresso.co.nz/products/wo1775
Old 12-17-19, 09:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I kind of agree with both sides. A new bike shouldn't generally have issues unless being advertised as that however the dings are pretty insignificant and the frame was highly discounted as an older year model. I would reach out to Soma Fab/Merry Sales and see what they say just to see what they say and if nothing then you haven't lost much more than a little time.

Enjoy the bike, steel has an excellent ride and Soma makes some fine bikes, I own a New Albion Privateer which is from the same parent company and it is a fantastic frame. With the various parts I have put on it, it is a great commuter and would be a fine gravel grinder as well. I can't recommend that bike enough especially for the price it is quality Tange tubing and in my case has everything I need plus I could run it as a single speed and with both 130 or 135 spaced wheels.
Old 12-18-19, 04:23 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts
Me, I would be ecstatic with a new frame. Those were extreme closeups, take a few pictures from 2 feet away and let us see them and then take a pic showing the whole frame. I will bet most of us won't see those dings.
I would ride it like I paid half price. The first looks like a tube ding prior to build, the second is a bit of weld splatter and the last also a pre build ding or a weld bubble and will be hidden behind the brakes.

Build it > Ride it >Scratch it ride it some more rinse and repeat.
Old 12-18-19, 08:29 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
The second pic looks like a dust or dirt particle that was painted over. The second pic looks like either paint run or a weld (cant tell because it's blurry). The first pic with the tiny dent is inconsequential and looks to have happened prior to assembly and paint.
Old 12-18-19, 11:53 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I had a co-worker who was a surfer. The first thing he did with a new board was whack it against the corner of the house to get its first ding over with. Then he could ride it without worrying about marring its perfection. That first step has been done for you, and at a discount.
I can relate to that. I bought my Surly LHT, and ordered a top tube pad to prevent scratches when leaning it on things while running errands. I rode the bike to the store the first day, before receiving the pad, and after loading the groceries in the bags, I unlocked the bike, and it rolled back, scrapping the top tube against the rusty sign post it had been locked to, leaving a nice 3-4 inch long scrape. The tube wasn't touching it while parked. Oh well, the bike got its first bit of street cred that day. The frame is black, so a black Sharpie marker helped ease the pain.
Old 12-18-19, 03:57 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I would hope Soma responds to your email soon. I’m pretty sure they a rider owned company and are a part of the cycling community in some small way more than the BIG 4. Maybe they should think twice about their marketing slogan potential here:
Soma Fab, We Paint Over Dings
or perhaps:
Soma, not perfect but what did you expect?
Old 12-18-19, 04:07 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Also

I missed the whole point of my very important opinion here, there is no grey area when it comes to cosmetics regarding paint. The OP has a cosmetically damaged frame, small foul ups for sure but that’s not the issue. For what it’s worth, I have had a couple of bikes for years that managed to avoid paint damage everywhere except for the quick releases clamping the drop outs
Old 12-19-19, 04:54 PM
RidesaCarlton

Bikes: 1962 Estermann, 1962 English something, 1971 Carlton, 1972 Colnago, 1972 Pogliaghi, 1979 Nishiki, and 1982 Cambio Rino

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
In my humble opinion, Return it.

Forty years ago I purchased a Carlton Professional that had a blemish. I got a deal. That was not the only problem with the frame.
10 years ago, I figured out why the frame seemed funny. The rear Campagnolo dropouts are not aligned to each other. The dish is always wrong on the rear wheel.

While you have found 3 things wrong with your frame, how do you know that there isn't another hidden problem? If its going to be your pride and joy, you don't want a surprise that was slipped under the "second" label.

I am adding this edit to correct a couple errors that I made that may leave the wrong impression on astute people. I purchased my Carlton 49 years ago (May 1971). I was 15 at the time. I didn't know that manufacturers had different quality of frames, and no-one wanted to educate me. I didn't imagine that any company would let second rate merchandise out of their factory. (Perhaps an British factory was not concerned about quality in one of the old colonies.)
The only LBS in my home city that dealt with racing bicycles was still 10 years out of date, and believed that Campagnolo was just an expensive trend. The largest bike shop in Canada at the time sold me the Carlton.

Last edited by RidesaCarlton; 01-01-20 at 11:43 AM. Reason: factual errors that I made
Old 12-19-19, 05:01 PM
Slowridr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by venturi95
I would hope Soma responds to your email soon. I’m pretty sure they a rider owned company and are a part of the cycling community in some small way more than the BIG 4. Maybe they should think twice about their marketing slogan potential here:
Soma Fab, We Paint Over Dings
or perhaps:
Soma, not perfect but what did you expect?
Still no response. I sent a second email Monday night.

I was gonna take the advice of other and just keep it. However them not responding is ticking me off. On there site it says they don't accept returns without permission. I emailed twice asking about this and sent pics. I've heard nothing.

I think I would of been okay if someone reached out and apologized and gave an explanation.
Old 12-19-19, 07:03 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Still no response. I sent a second email Monday night.

I was gonna take the advice of other and just keep it. However them not responding is ticking me off. On there site it says they don't accept returns without permission. I emailed twice asking about this and sent pics. I've heard nothing.

I think I would of been okay if someone reached out and apologized and gave an explanation.
Time to call them. Too easy for them to blow off emails, apparently.
Old 12-19-19, 09:46 PM
Slowridr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Time to call them. Too easy for them to blow off emails, apparently.
Can't even find a number for them. I found a number for merry sales. Maybe a sister company or the distributor. That's where the shipping came from. I've reached out to that email. Let's see if they respond lol
Old 12-19-19, 10:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Can't even find a number for them. I found a number for merry sales. Maybe a sister company or the distributor. That's where the shipping came from. I've reached out to that email. Let's see if they respond lol
merry sales is a distributor, like BP and many others.
Merry sales owns brands too- soma, new albion, and more.
Old 12-20-19, 12:38 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
We do not know where the OP bought the frame from: somafabshop.com (Merry Sales/Soma outlet) or some other retailer (Universal Cycles, Tree Fort, Velomine, ...). It looks like this frame in black color is no longer listed on somafabshop.

Correct me if I am wrong, Merry Sales is based in San Francisco and they mostly import Japanese parts. It is smaller than QBP and harder to deal with. When I decided to buy my Double Cross frame two years ago, I first tried to buy via a LBS. I checked out one of the LBS' listed on the Soma page. One of the Google reviews for them said they had built a custom Buena Vista. I called them, and they felt unsure about getting a frame and said they would call me back. Never heard back from them. Another LBS said they did not know if they had tools for facing the frame, it took very long to get a quote, I became impatient and bought from American Cyclery in San Francisco. Also, I tried to get a quote for a 26" Pasela, the LBS just forgot about it.

On contrary, QBP (and Surly, one of their brands) is everywhere.

I knew it may be more difficult to do a warranty claim, but I decided to get Double Cross over Straggler because of the thinner tubing and vertical dropouts. No problems after 2 years, very happy with it.

It may be a good idea to buy from a LBS, in this case they will have to deal with the initial frame inspection and warranty claim (should there be a need for one) for you.

Another option is Black Mountain Cycles who make similar frames, but they are a one man operated business --- probably easier to deal with.
Old 12-20-19, 04:47 AM
buck1973

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Their facebook page lists a phone number:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/somafab/...=page_internal
Old 12-20-19, 06:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by RidesaCarlton
Forty years ago I purchased a Carlton Professional that had a blemish. I got a deal. That was not the only problem with the frame.
10 years ago, I figured out why the frame seemed funny. The rear Campagnolo dropouts are not aligned to each other. The dish is always wrong on the rear wheel.

While you have found 3 things wrong with your frame, how do you know that there isn't another hidden problem? If its going to be your pride and joy, you don't want a surprise that was slipped under the "second" label.
So you got 30 years of riding out of the frame before you figured out the problem? Really confusing example. If there could be that kind of undetected defect with a blemish, what's the likelihood that there's one without a blemish?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-20-19, 02:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by csport
Another option is Black Mountain Cycles who make similar frames, but they are a one man operated business --- probably easier to deal with.
Not just easier to deal with, but a pleasure to do business with. Mike Varley is helpful and has created a really reliable and solid brand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.