Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can I fix my loose headset without a cone wrench?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-29-20, 08:01 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts

If I let go of my handlebars for a moment they immediately spin out of control. The fork is not loose but it is just not nearly as stiff as I would like it to be. Looks like you typically use a cone wrench plus a large wrench to fix this issue but I don't have the cone wrench. Is there a method to do it without it? If not what cone wrench do I need? The headset is 1 1/8 inches mid 90s threaded.
Old 05-29-20, 08:18 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Not a cone wrench

which are 13mm to 17mm, and are for working on hubs. You need 30mm or 32mm spanners. Typically you purchase one spanner that has 30mm and 32mm ends. You need just one, as you can use an adjustable wrench for the lock nut on top.
Old 05-29-20, 08:38 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Thank you! So it is unavoidable to get one then?
Old 05-29-20, 09:08 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If you are trying to introduce friction into your steering, like the old friction disc steering dampers on motorcycles, by tightening your headset bearings, you are doomed to failure. Tightening the bearings enough to make them "stiff" will quickly damage the bearings and/or races.
If the headset is loose, taking out the play is fine but do not overtighten them.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 05-29-20, 09:20 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
If there isn't a notched spacer between the top and bottom caps it is sometimes possible to put a wrench on the top cap and screw it down if both the top and bottom caps are slightly loose, this will also sometimes result in the two being better snugged together as well as the headset tighter, beware over tightening unless you have a combination wrench or headset wrench and you've stated you don't have the latter. If the two are well snugged together I've had luck using the 16pt end of a combination wrench by dropping it over both the top and bottom caps together and turning them both at once, with a 16pt end you double the odds of the wrench fitting over both at once and as wrenches always have a bit of slop to them the two caps don't have to be perfectly aligned. Down side to this idea is do you have the 36mm wrench you will need for that size headset? Being an 1 1/8 you'll need a 36mm wrench, park sells a nice double ended spanner for 32mm/36mm which are the two most common modern to semi-modern sizes. Many people like to use 2 headset wrenches, I find it hard to control the top one, some like an adjustable for the top cap but they have a tendency to slip and round off the corners of the headset, I prefer to have a 32mm and 36mm combination wrench(there are very close standard sizes that match more then good enough) since I can get it over the whole of the too cap, they don't slip or round things off, and they make great persuaders on loosening old stems. Just leave the T handle allen wrench in the stem fixing bolt once loose and whack it with the end of the wrench, stem with one or two hits moves easily.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-29-20, 10:23 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
If I let go of my handlebars for a moment they immediately spin out of control. The fork is not loose.....
don't let go of the handlebars?
Old 05-30-20, 02:45 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder View Post
If I let go of my handlebars for a moment they immediately spin out of control. The fork is not loose.....

Originally Posted by SalsaShark
don't let go of the handlebars?
Squeeze the front brake lever hard, and place the other hand where the frame and front fork are and then try to rock the bike forwards and backwards. If you do NOT feel any movement at the fork/frame junction then the headset is properly adjusted.

Check that your wheels are in line with each other, spokes are tight and that the ront fork is aligned properly = not bent or twisted.

You should be able to ride the bike without having hands on the handlebar but it does take practice. Go to a schoolyard or other empty non-traffic area to practice.

Most times it's not that a bike that can't be ridden hands free, but it's that the rider doesn't know how to do it.

Improper saddle tilt or otherwise poor bicycle fit can make it very hard to ride hands free.

Cheers
Old 05-30-20, 05:55 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
If I let go of my handlebars for a moment they immediately spin out of control.
That should not happen, and as others have noted, is unlikely to be a headset-adjustment issue. My first thought is "is the fork backwards?" Other possibilities include fork and/or frame bent out of alignment. What kind of bike is this, and in what condition? Has it been seriously neglected? In an accident that may have bent the frame or fork? Can you post some pictures?
Old 05-30-20, 08:19 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Originally Posted by Oneder View Post

Squeeze the front brake lever hard, and place the other hand where the frame and front fork are and then try to rock the bike forwards and backwards. If you do NOT feel any movement at the fork/frame junction then the headset is properly adjusted.

Check that your wheels are in line with each other, spokes are tight and that the ront fork is aligned properly = not bent or twisted.

You should be able to ride the bike without having hands on the handlebar but it does take practice. Go to a schoolyard or other empty non-traffic area to practice.

Most times it's not that a bike that can't be ridden hands free, but it's that the rider doesn't know how to do it.

Improper saddle tilt or otherwise poor bicycle fit can make it very hard to ride hands free.

Cheers
I can ride fine with no hands on other bikes but not on this one. It's the bike. I don't want to have it super tight I just don't want it insanely wobbly.
Old 05-30-20, 08:23 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That should not happen, and as others have noted, is unlikely to be a headset-adjustment issue. My first thought is "is the fork backwards?" Other possibilities include fork and/or frame bent out of alignment. What kind of bike is this, and in what condition? Has it been seriously neglected? In an accident that may have bent the frame or fork? Can you post some pictures?
Yeah something is definitely wrong but it is not clear to me what, possibly another problem entirely. It does act almost as if the forks are on backwards but so far as I can tell they are not. It's an old wahoo from 1996 but it largely seems in good shape though I do want to eventually put in a new drive train. Maybe I will take pics later if I remember.
Old 05-30-20, 08:28 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Maybe a missing washer or something? I have never put on a headset so I am not sure what's involved

https://bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike...20&model=Wahoo