Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 users: do you have/want the D Fly?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Pick one thanks.
I have Di2, have D Fly.
65.63%
I have Di2, don't want D Fly.
10.94%
I don't have Di2, would want D Fly.
12.50%
I don't have Di2, would not want D Fly.
10.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Di2 users: do you have/want the D Fly?

Old 09-22-20, 02:07 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by TerryDi2C
https://di2stats.com will also get you this info if you upload your .fit files ;-)
(and the SRAM AXS Web app/site does too)
Yep....I use this as well. Tons of useful data.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 09-22-20, 02:15 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I've never heard that before, but it makes sense in general, and it explains why my battery doesn't last as long as I keep reading it's supposed to.
Interesting reading, this may be apples to oranges, but it appears to be insignificant. On top of that the Di2 battery lasts much longer than a phone. When you think about it, Di2 Bluetooth is only active when you ride, that's why you need to wake it up to connect.

https://www.androidauthority.com/doe...ttery-1145853/

I've never experienced faster battery drain as compared to before I got it and after.
Old 09-22-20, 03:11 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
At the end of a ride, my Garmin can tell me I shifted 297 times, or whatever. The actual Garmin unit can go back into its history and tell me how many times I shifted on that ride last week, too. This isn't displayed anywhere in Connect. It has to be in the file for the history to work, so there's probably some software that can throw more light on your gear usage. Golden Cheetah seems most likely. But what I'm trying to say is it's not easy at all to get at this info.
https://di2stats.com will also get you this info if you upload your .fit files ;-)
Di2stats is the site that I was aware of, and what made me consider the D-fly more seriously (I should just buy the dang thing, already).
I'm starting to thing that I need to switch to a 52/36 crank, so having the gear-usage data could help to confirm/dispel that thought
Likes For melikebikey35:
Old 09-22-20, 05:11 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I thought I wanted it, and even did a firmware update in anticipation of purchasing it, but then I realized:

(a) I was buying it just because it was a geeky add-on toy
DUH! that is the real reason anyone buys it! I wanted to have the ability to use the hood buttons, I have them programmed for single, double and long press, giving me 6 Garmin actions from the 2 buttons.
Old 09-22-20, 05:20 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
Have it. Don't use it. No Garmin or other bike computer to link to. I've connected it to my laptop via cable to set hood button functions and make derailleur adjustments. Don't need a display to show what gear I'm in and don't care how many times I shifted on x-ride or on y day.
Old 09-22-20, 06:54 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
That has not been my experience
depends on where the unit is installed, some ppl install it inside the frame which will drain battery faster
Old 09-22-20, 07:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Pretty sure you can add the Di2 battery field to a Wahoo page.

Edit: or maybe not. Can't find it in the settings, oops.
You can add it to Wahoo, but I believe it only appears on one of the secondary screens -- one that is accessed through the home screen, using one of the buttons at the bottom of the device...Not on one the regular ride data screen. (Sorry, I haven't used a Wahoo in a while, so can't be more specific.)

The D-Fly is relatively inexpensive, weighs almost nothing, and gives some useful additional features. Best is the gear indicator readout: when I am flogging myself up some insanely steep gravel climb, simultaneously trying to keep the bike moving and find my line (and NOT hit a hole or rock or tree root that will wipe me out at 5mph), it's nice to be able to check the computer screen in order to figure out whether I still have one more bailout gear.

Regarding battery drain: don't know, since my bike had D-Fly from the get-go. Even though I live in a hilly area, and hence shift a lot, my battery drains at a rate of about 80+ miles per 10%. So I can live with a tiny bit of extra battery drain from a small ant+ unit. I mean, shoot, worrying about battery drain with the D-Fly is like worrying about wearing out your chain because you ride a lot.

Last edited by Koyote; 09-22-20 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 07:23 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I've never heard that before, but it makes sense in general, and it explains why my battery doesn't last as long as I keep reading it's supposed to.
I thought I heard that shifting “wakes up” The unit and shuts off after not shifting for a certain period of time.
Old 09-22-20, 08:56 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Nope, I have a wahoo, but even having to go into the sensor info is better than the blinking lights on the junction box. It would be really nice if Wahoo would incorporate that into the battery page, the data is there, they just need to write the code for it.
Wahoo page says it supports the battery info....

https://wahoofitness.yonyx.com/y/con...a80152&lang=en

Supported Functions:

• Gear Selection:
    • Visual indication of current front and rear gears
    • Numerical indication of current front and rear gears
  • Gear Shifting Battery:
    • Sensor information page displays remaining shifting battery. Di2 battery is shown as a percentage, while all other sensors show battery state as GOOD, LOW, or CRITICAL (including batteries for individual eTap components)
  • Additional Notes:
    • Gear selection data is now displayed and exported in workout files.

Old 09-22-20, 09:56 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
The gear indicator is nice. The Di2 battery percentage field on Garmins is nice. The hood controls are nice. Being able to configure using a phone (though for some reason it disagrees and is extremely flaky with my Pixel 3) is nice. A bunch of nice-to-haves that together add up to an excellent little gadget IMO.

I wish Garmins could display the battery status of ALL sensors, lights, and radars (or at least those currently connected) in fields; I'd add a status page just to be able to check them all at a glance.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 09-22-20, 10:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You can add it to Wahoo, but I believe it only appears on one of the secondary screens -- one that is accessed through the home screen, using one of the buttons at the bottom of the device...Not on one the regular ride data screen. (Sorry, I haven't used a Wahoo in a while, so can't be more specific.)

The D-Fly is relatively inexpensive, weighs almost nothing, and gives some useful additional features. Best is the gear indicator readout: when I am flogging myself up some insanely steep gravel climb, simultaneously trying to keep the bike moving and find my line (and NOT hit a hole or rock or tree root that will wipe me out at 5mph), it's nice to be able to check the computer screen in order to figure out whether I still have one more bailout gear.

Regarding battery drain: don't know, since my bike had D-Fly from the get-go. Even though I live in a hilly area, and hence shift a lot, my battery drains at a rate of about 80+ miles per 10%. So I can live with a tiny bit of extra battery drain from a small ant+ unit. I mean, shoot, worrying about battery drain with the D-Fly is like worrying about wearing out your chain because you ride a lot.
​​​​​​I shift to the bailout gear in that situation, and curse the gods if nothing happens because I'm already in it.
Old 09-22-20, 10:06 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I have it on one bike. The main value i get from it is being able to hit the lap button when I am doing 40:20 intervals or sprint efforts. But I plan to get it on my other bike cos it is slicker than possum ish.
Old 09-22-20, 10:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

I'm so glad this came up. I had no idea this existed. Thanks so much for posting! 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-23-20, 02:02 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
My primary reasons for having both Di2 and D-Fly are simply due to me being a techy. No other reason, TBH. I wouldn't have one without the other!
Likes For WorldIRC:
Old 09-23-20, 05:23 AM
Sasquatch16

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Reading this I convinced myself I wanted to add this. Got home yesterday and realized my 2017 Domane SLR9 with Dura Ace 9000 Di2 has R785 shifters. What a disappointment.
Old 09-23-20, 05:34 AM
Koyote

​​​​​​I shift to the bailout gear in that situation, and curse the gods if nothing happens because I'm already in it.
In that situation, by the time I try to shift into the bailout gear, I’m moving at about 4 mph. If the gear ain’t there, I’m tipping over.
Old 09-23-20, 06:47 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Wahoo page says it supports the battery info....
Yes, but it cannot be assigned it's own data field. You have to hit the back button (back out of the screen you are on)...select the sensor (in this case it's Di2)...then click "about" or "more info"....then you can see the battery status. It's that way with Power Meter battery status as well.

The only Battery data field you can add to a page is your phone battery and the wahoo battery itself (...just going from memory, I may be wrong).
Old 09-23-20, 06:49 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
depends on where the unit is installed, some ppl install it inside the frame which will drain battery faster
Huh...I wonder why that would make a difference? I would think the only thing that should affect is signal strength. Does BT use more power the further away it is to something?
Old 09-23-20, 06:59 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
A must have for sure.

Largest reason for me is the Di2 battery level indication sent to the Garmin
Second would be control of Garmin screens from my shift levers.

The rest is nice but I don't use it.
This
Old 09-23-20, 07:02 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
What does "shift count" tell ya? (yeah, "how many times you shifted. ar ar ar") But, I mean, is there some "optimization" concept here?
Old 09-23-20, 08:17 AM
Koyote

Huh...I wonder why that would make a difference? I would think the only thing that should affect is signal strength. Does BT use more power the further away it is to something?
I think BT and ant+ have constant power output. In fact, I'd bet that the sending unit doesn't even know how far away it is from the receiving unit.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-23-20, 09:32 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
What does "shift count" tell ya? (yeah, "how many times you shifted. ar ar ar") But, I mean, is there some "optimization" concept here?
It counts the cassette and chain ring shifts, what you do with it is up to you.
Old 09-23-20, 11:11 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
I shift a **** ton more often now than I did the month I got this bike. That tells me Di2 was a good buy for me.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-23-20, 09:49 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Yes, but it cannot be assigned it's own data field. You have to hit the back button (back out of the screen you are on)...select the sensor (in this case it's Di2)...then click "about" or "more info"....then you can see the battery status. It's that way with Power Meter battery status as well.

The only Battery data field you can add to a page is your phone battery and the wahoo battery itself (...just going from memory, I may be wrong).
I noticed this tonight when I was updating the firmware on my Elemnt... So that might address this issue....not sure as I don't have di2 yet. I see where they updated he Roam and Bolt as well.ELEMNT WF48-8223 - 25 August, 2020
  • Fixed: DI2 not displaying correctly on bike computers

Old 09-23-20, 10:05 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I shift a **** ton more often now than I did the month I got this bike. That tells me Di2 was a good buy for me.
After I broke my ankle, I was rehabbing on a 2008 mountain bike with a triple in the front. The chain would come off sometimes, which made me reluctant to shift, so I got into this weird thing where I was afraid to shift for fear of the chain coming off (and me falling and re-breaking my ankle), or riding in too high a gear, which REALLY hurt. I only got Di2 because it was required to get hydraulic brakes back in 2014, but it immediately cured me of this neurotic paranoia -- I never missed a shift, and the chain stays put.
Likes For Cyclist0108:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.