Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rust hole in a Peugeot Competition 300 - Columbus steel frame

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-25-20, 02:26 AM
guigs84

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all,

I recently got a Peugeot Competition 300 - from the 90s' I'd say - that I am planning to refurbish.

After a good cleaning, I realized that the frame (Columbus Cromor) has a rust hole under the chain stay tube - nothing huge, just 3 x 2 mm - but I'm not sure it would be safe to ride or worth fixing... and if so how.

Any opinion?

Many thanks!
Old 09-25-20, 02:42 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
I would wonder about other parts of the frame, and if there is rust that might make the bike unsafe.

A friend of mine did a century on a Columbus SLX frame (marque undisclosed) and not more than a month later discovered that there was rust eating through the chainstay. A this point, he won't ride the bike.

What condition are the components in?
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 09-25-20, 03:17 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
I would wonder about other parts of the frame, and if there is rust that might make the bike unsafe.
100% on the money!
Old 09-25-20, 03:46 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It's not just the size of the hole. Due to the nature of rust, the area adjacent to hole will also have had it's thickness eaten way. Furthermore, rust holes in chain stays typically occur at the at the highly stressed bottom bracket end, so there's potential for a catastrophic failure. It sounds like a wall hanger.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-07-20, 08:18 PM
avhed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I have 2 smaller holes 1 x 3mm on the inside of my fork blade. they look like the paint was chipped and the previous owner left it to rust.
What is the best filler for this? Car bondo or what?
Old 10-07-20, 11:26 PM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Got a beautiful Franklin Frame, Columbus SL, from local lbs recently (traded for 76 Raleigh Comp). Had “paint bubbles” on chain stays near BB, figured it was surface or “outer” rust. When I removed axle flakes of rust literally poured out of bb. Sanding of the paint bubbles revealed actual perforations on both sides, along with the rust in bottom of BB itself. Talking to Franklin Frames, replacement of the stays and BB would run close to 300, plus shipping back and forth, plus repaint stays/BB area, so decided to return bike to lbs (he is a friend of mine) and canceled the trade. I “suppose” it would have been cost effective to do that, but who knows what other problems would have cropped up,
Old 10-08-20, 04:27 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by guigs84
Hi all,

I recently got a Peugeot Competition 300 - from the 90s' I'd say - that I am planning to refurbish.

After a good cleaning, I realized that the frame (Columbus Cromor) has a rust hole under the chain stay tube - nothing huge, just 3 x 2 mm - but I'm not sure it would be safe to ride or worth fixing... and if so how.

Any opinion?

Many thanks!
Could you provide some pics please..
Old 10-08-20, 06:04 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
I believe I have seen Competition 300 back in the day and thought they were aluminum frames, but I have been wrong too often.

As T-Mar said another way, your risk is likelihood times consequence. Short of having the tube non-destructively tested for metal thickness you do not know the likelihood of failure on your next ride and the consequence of a failure might be high unless you just slowly cruise your block.
Old 10-09-20, 11:39 AM
guigs84

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your replies and sorry for the late answer... I finally managed to post 10 times so I can post pictures!

A cycle repair shop told me it should be fine if I get it welded and that steel should hold fairly well, and that people get a bit nervous regarding rust in frame. But your opinion would be very important to me too!

Cheers!

Likes For guigs84:
Old 10-09-20, 01:38 PM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by guigs84
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your replies and sorry for the late answer... I finally managed to post 10 times so I can post pictures!

A cycle repair shop told me it should be fine if I get it welded and that steel should hold fairly well, and that people get a bit nervous regarding rust in frame. But your opinion would be very important to me too!

Cheers!

Sweet !
Old 10-09-20, 01:48 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Nice bike. It can be repaired but check the rest of the bike. Maybe water just got trapped in that particular section.

Interesting how the framebuilder ended up with the chainstay dimples in the wrong place where they are providing no extra tyre clearance whatsoever!
Old 10-13-20, 06:23 AM
guigs84

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! Not much more visible damages but the bottom bracket, the seat post and the stem are frozen... I am putting some penetrating oil every day and wait... I'd like to see how it looks inside and likely treat the inside of the frame with phosphoric acid to remove current rust and prevent it to worsen.

I'll keep you updated!