Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy Ergo left (FD) shifter adjusment

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-21-20, 12:48 PM
Paniolo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hello all, getting back into regular riding again after almost 5 years due to work load! The downshift on my left brifter (10sp ergo power) to go from big to little ring on fd has a ton of movement before the first click. The thumb shifter rotates down to like the 5:00 position before the first click at which point it operates normally with 3 clicks to drop to little ring. Is there a FD cable adjustment that will bring this range up so it will engage right away rather than after several inches of movement? It works, but getting all 3 clicks in with hands on the hoods takes some thought and rotation of my wrist. Or does this represent an internal spring issue? The upshift to the big ring is immediate and precise.
Old 09-21-20, 09:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
I suspect the thumb lever's spring loaded hinge (which is outside of the lever body) has become frozen due to corrosion. I've replaced a few of these for this reason over the years. While the Ergo design is fairly similar over the years there is a difference in the internal to the body's spring hole between versions. So do your homework well or have a motivated and skilled in Ergo rebuilds shop do the work. Andy
Old 09-22-20, 06:55 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
You may end up having to do the full rebuild, but try the easy fix first.

Put some oil on the thumb pivot and manually rotate it back and forth. A little corrosion on that sheet metal will slow the rotation so it doesn't engage, as Andrew alluded to, but sometimes just oiling the joint will loosen things up enough to work.
Old 09-22-20, 08:51 PM
Paniolo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, now that you mention the pivot I had issues with that several years ago that was able to use penetrating oil/lube and got it working again. These are '06 Centaur that have 25-30k miles on them. I've rebuilt the right side a couple of times, but haven't done anything internal on the left side.

I meant to give the shifters a through clean, lube and check cables/housings but the steelie I was riding broke a drive side spoke so the quickest way to make the next days ride was just lube derailleur & brake piviet points and chain and ride this bike. Then this bike felt so much nicer even with these small issues I've just kept riding it. On the right side I do have minor issues in the middle gears with clanking on upshifts, but when I adjust that out with the barrel adjusters on the ride I then have issues with the downshifts. Hoping that is just gunky cables/housings from being in storage. Hope it isn't the G spring carrier that has a little groove in it that I noticed on last rebuild.

Thank you for the help!