Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Budget (but good?) Bib Shorts

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 07:08 PM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Possibly a contradiction, but anyone have any recommendations for budget, but goodish, bib shorts? So far I've only invested in padded shorts (from Amazon, Sponeed). They've been okay, but they do tend to shift a bit during rides. I don't ride super long distances (20-30 miles), but by the end it feels like the chamois is only barely where it's supposed to be (especially so when I have a lot of hills). They feel pretty snug on the legs, but not so much the core, so it's possible I got the wrong size, but I'm also wondering if this is just one of the downsides of not being a bib.

That said, I'm not at the point where I'm looking to drop $200 on a pair. What would be a good company or style that are good enough for 30-50 mile type of rides but don't break the bank? Google suggested the Pearl Izumi Quest, but I'm hoping to lean on the experience of people here to get me in the right direction.
Old 09-22-20, 07:16 PM
jad3675

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by am0n
Possibly a contradiction, but anyone have any recommendations for budget, but goodish, bib shorts? So far I've only invested in padded shorts (from Amazon, Sponeed). They've been okay, but they do tend to shift a bit during rides. I don't ride super long distances (20-30 miles), but by the end it feels like the chamois is only barely where it's supposed to be (especially so when I have a lot of hills). They feel pretty snug on the legs, but not so much the core, so it's possible I got the wrong size, but I'm also wondering if this is just one of the downsides of not being a bib.

That said, I'm not at the point where I'm looking to drop $200 on a pair. What would be a good company or style that are good enough for 30-50 mile type of rides but don't break the bank? Google suggested the Pearl Izumi Quest, but I'm hoping to lean on the experience of people here to get me in the right direction.
I've been pretty impressed with Santini Mago bib shorts. PBK has then for $85, though they're been on sale as low as $55.

​​
Old 09-22-20, 07:38 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
The Black Bibs start at $40. They’re not as comfortable as RedWhite bibs, but they’re cheaper and they ship faster.
Likes For sarhog:
Old 09-22-20, 09:28 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
RedWhites (free shipping code from Canada) and The Black Bibs are in my rotation.
Old 09-22-20, 10:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Black Bibs Plus. The Plus has a comfortable leg band and better feeling material(imo). The pad and fit work great for me(in the tall size) and everything is comfortable for hours on end.

The seams aren't flatlock, but it ends up that doesnt matter at all to me. There is no movement so its moot.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-22-20, 10:17 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
What I do is shop around for deals on previous seasons' $150-$200 bibs and other kit for a mere fraction of the original price. Have high-end bibs from Rapha, Assos, Castelli, and Sportful, paid between 50-70% MSRP.
Old 09-22-20, 11:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Voler
Old 09-22-20, 11:21 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I have some Bellwether and Funkier bibs which were $30-$50 and have lasted great.

Not sure what is available since Nashbar got infected by Performance Bike.
Old 09-23-20, 01:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Przewalski and Spotti. Check Amazon. I have shorts and bibs from both. They appear to be the same maker, using different marques for different products, but with both brand names on the pads. Good basic shorts and bibs, outstanding pads if you like the thicker DuPont CoolMax pads -- I do since losing weight. My butt is bony now and I need a thicker pad and/or saddle with a bit more cushion.

Black Bibs are also an outstanding value. I've had a set for a year or so and plan to get another, but with the longer thigh. My upper leg is a bit disproportionately long so thigh lengths that reach just above the knee on most folks is only mid-thigh on me. Kinda that 1960s short-shorts look.
Old 09-23-20, 03:38 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Another vote for The Black Bibs.
Old 09-23-20, 04:16 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
I have some 18$ Nalini from Merlin that aren’t bad at all. Except now their shipping is high.

They’re not nearly as good as my Castelli but much better than many others I’ve had. Thin pad, but does the job.
Old 09-23-20, 06:04 AM
am0n

Thanks, all. In terms of fit, anyone with a short torso have any suggestions? Based on height (75"), weight (190 lb., but I'm hoping to cut to 175 over the winter) and waist (I wear 32 jeans, but apparently that's not inches, so when I measured my waist closer to 36") I am a "Large" in most. That said, I have a short torso (75" height but my inseam is 37.5") so I am wondering if the straps on a Large won't be snug.

For these brands of bibs, do people find the need of a mesh undershirt (or comparable) to deal with the nipple rub I've read about? Or are these pretty comfortable and the undershirt isn't needed?

Originally Posted by sarhog
The Black Bibs start at $40. They’re not as comfortable as RedWhite bibs, but they’re cheaper and they ship faster.
When you say not as comfortable, in what way? RedWhite you can ride for 8 hours and Black Bibs only 4? Something else? Right now my normal ride lengths are 1.5-2 hours but I'd like to work up to 3-4. I am okay with buying something now that works for what I do and buying better down the road if/when I get to needing better (I don't need the best of the best right now since I don't ride enough to warrant it).

Also, RedWhite now charges $20 for shipping, so the cost, even of their cheapest, is over $100 now.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Black Bibs Plus. The Plus has a comfortable leg band and better feeling material(imo). The pad and fit work great for me(in the tall size) and everything is comfortable for hours on end.

The seams aren't flatlock, but it ends up that doesnt matter at all to me. There is no movement so its moot.
How many hours do you ride and find the Black Bibs comfortable for? For the Tall, I know they say they added 2 inches to the inseam and straps. As per my statement above, do you have a long or short torso in comparison to your legs?

What do you mean by the seams not being flatlock?

Originally Posted by canklecat
Przewalski and Spotti. Check Amazon. I have shorts and bibs from both. They appear to be the same maker, using different marques for different products, but with both brand names on the pads. Good basic shorts and bibs, outstanding pads if you like the thicker DuPont CoolMax pads -- I do since losing weight. My butt is bony now and I need a thicker pad and/or saddle with a bit more cushion.

Black Bibs are also an outstanding value. I've had a set for a year or so and plan to get another, but with the longer thigh. My upper leg is a bit disproportionately long so thigh lengths that reach just above the knee on most folks is only mid-thigh on me. Kinda that 1960s short-shorts look.
I saw the Przewaski bibs. I notice the 3D is well rated. Have you tried the 4D? Seems like it's supposed to be more comfortable for longer rides. Their sizing information seems a bit off (for Large they say the hips are 17-21 inches versus a waist of 31-35 inches). How did you find the fit (and what size)? I like this as an option because I have Prime and can return them for free if they don't fit well.

For the other brands, I'll add them to my list and check to see if they end up in stock or on sale. I know Funkier has a great sale right now (BOGO), but they have almost no inventory.
Old 09-23-20, 06:43 AM
SeattleRider57

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Another vote for Przewalski: https://www.amazon.com/Przewalski-Ba...d-0c3639671b2d

I wanted to see the difference of a higher end bib vs something like this, and the Pactimo 12hr bib is pretty nice(more breathable, but $250), but from a pure padding standpoint, I'd say that the Przewalski bibs are pretty close. I haven't done a 100miles+ in them yet, but I like them better than the BlackBibs I've purchased previously.

I also bought these Sponeed bibs too for training, and I found them comparable to the Przewalski bibs. I actually like their fit a bit more too: https://www.amazon.com/sponeed-Cycli...d-0c3639671b2d
Old 09-23-20, 08:22 AM
am0n

Originally Posted by SeattleRider57
Another vote for Przewalski: https://www.amazon.com/Przewalski-Ba...d-0c3639671b2d

I wanted to see the difference of a higher end bib vs something like this, and the Pactimo 12hr bib is pretty nice(more breathable, but $250), but from a pure padding standpoint, I'd say that the Przewalski bibs are pretty close. I haven't done a 100miles+ in them yet, but I like them better than the BlackBibs I've purchased previously.

I also bought these Sponeed bibs too for training, and I found them comparable to the Przewalski bibs. I actually like their fit a bit more too: https://www.amazon.com/sponeed-Cycli...d-0c3639671b2d
Have you tried the Przewalski 4D? I have the Sponeed shorts. Start to get sore by around 20 miles, but that may be due to the pad not staying where it should.
Old 09-23-20, 09:08 AM
SeattleRider57

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I don't have the 4D's. My problem with the BlackBibs was exactly what you're talking about - I ran them through the washer and when they came out, the pads were shifted all over the place - basically unusable now. They are retired.
Old 09-23-20, 09:28 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

I'm curious about sizing too since you have both Przewalski and the Black Bibs. I wear medium BB, but Przewalski size chart says small.
Old 09-23-20, 11:03 AM
am0n

I notice the BlackBibs are only dual density foam and others seem to be three or four layers of various densities. How much does that matter?
Old 09-23-20, 11:15 AM
SeattleRider57

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The Przewalski bibs are running a little small for me. I'm in the process of cutting some weight, so I went with a large instead of XL, and they're snug.I might do an XL next time. I'm 6'3, about 190lbs.
Old 09-23-20, 01:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
How many hours do you ride and find the Black Bibs comfortable for? For the Tall, I know they say they added 2 inches to the inseam and straps. As per my statement above, do you have a long or short torso in comparison to your legs?

What do you mean by the seams not being flatlock?
Ive ridden centuries in them and my legs hurt, but my butt is fine. That isnt only thanks to the bibs, obviously, but I can say that the bibs certainly didnt impede me from riding.
Not sure if my torso or legs are long- im 6'5 so im overall just tall and am pretty sure I am average for upper/lower balance. I have think I have a 38" cycling inseam, i dont remember exactly as it isnt really something I care much about.
The bibs last well for me- they are washed, air dry, and have not lost any elasticity through use. I dont know the hours Ive put on bibs because thats crazy to track, but its a lot of hours and miles.

flat lock seams are smoother- they lie down more than traditional seams. The Black Bibs may have both regular and flat lock, I am really not sure. My only point in mentioning that was that it is something that some mention as a feature, but I certainly havent cared about it.

I notice the BlackBibs are only dual density foam and others seem to be three or four layers of various densities. How much does that matter?
I think that the thickness matters just as much as, or more than, how many layers of varying density there is. Some like riding on thick plush pads and others like riding on thin pads.
I also think that the number of varying densities is a bit of a marketing misdirection. Oh they have 3 layers, but we have 4 layers. Its like blades on a razor.
A dense 10mm pad would be preferable to an 8 layer multidensity 90mm pad. Extreme example, but its meant to be for visual.
Old 09-23-20, 04:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Have you tried the Przewalski 4D? I have the Sponeed shorts. Start to get sore by around 20 miles, but that may be due to the pad not staying where it should.
Originally Posted by str8jakett
I'm curious about sizing too since you have both Przewalski and the Black Bibs. I wear medium BB, but Przewalski size chart says small.
Yup, I have shorts and bibs with both the original "3D" and later "4D" Dupont CoolMax pads. Both are what I think is called progressive density foam, very different from the pads used by my Black Bibs and Pearl Izumi shorts and bibs.

The 3D has variable thickness but it's very subtle. The 4D has the more contemporary sculpted look of very different thicknesses. Both are good. I prefer the 3D by a small margin, but it's getting harder or impossible to find. I think Przewalski has switched to a different pad. I'd still take a chance on them because the price is so reasonable.

Regarding fit, when I got my first Przewalski shorts in 2018 I weighed about 160-165 lbs. I got medium and they fit fine.

I'm down to 150 now and the small fit me better -- more compression on my skinny legs. Slight compression seems to reduce my lifelong problems with muscle spasms -- quads, hamstrings, etc. While compression isn't a magic bullet for everyone it sure works for me. I use compression socks too, each designed for left and right feet and not supposed to be interchangeable. Sure reduces my problems with arch spasms when hammering, especially when I stand to climb or sprint.

I'm 5'11", 33" inseam, 30" waist now (maybe a little smaller), with disproportionately long thighs. So shorts/bibs that reach just above the knee on most folks reaches only mid-thigh for me. That's the only, umm... shortcoming of the Przewalski, Black Bibs and most shorts. But Black Bibs and a couple other makers offer long-leg versions, so I'm going to try another set of Black Bibs with the longer leg.
Old 09-23-20, 07:14 PM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Regarding fit, when I got my first Przewalski shorts in 2018 I weighed about 160-165 lbs. I got medium and they fit fine.

I'm down to 150 now and the small fit me better -- more compression on my skinny legs. Slight compression seems to reduce my lifelong problems with muscle spasms -- quads, hamstrings, etc. While compression isn't a magic bullet for everyone it sure works for me. I use compression socks too, each designed for left and right feet and not supposed to be interchangeable. Sure reduces my problems with arch spasms when hammering, especially when I stand to climb or sprint.

I'm 5'11", 33" inseam, 30" waist now (maybe a little smaller), with disproportionately long thighs. So shorts/bibs that reach just above the knee on most folks reaches only mid-thigh for me. That's the only, umm... shortcoming of the Przewalski, Black Bibs and most shorts. But Black Bibs and a couple other makers offer long-leg versions, so I'm going to try another set of Black Bibs with the longer leg.
Thanks for the information, I think that confirms what I had felt would be the correct size for me.
Old 09-24-20, 12:45 AM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
I haven't tried bibs yet... everyone tells me they are more comfortable than shorts, but I have no issues with my shorts. I started with 2 pair of Sponeed cheap Chinese shorts from Amazon, and got a pair of the Aerotech touring shorts. I love the mesh outer pockets on those, especially since I don't wear a jersey... I can stuff a granola bar and my garage door opener in them. No discomfort at all in those.

I do intend to try Black Bibs, maybe I'll actually get a pair of bibs and see how I like them.
Old 09-24-20, 04:48 AM
am0n

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ive ridden centuries in them and my legs hurt, but my butt is fine. That isnt only thanks to the bibs, obviously, but I can say that the bibs certainly didnt impede me from riding.
Not sure if my torso or legs are long- im 6'5 so im overall just tall and am pretty sure I am average for upper/lower balance. I have think I have a 38" cycling inseam, i dont remember exactly as it isnt really something I care much about.
The bibs last well for me- they are washed, air dry, and have not lost any elasticity through use. I dont know the hours Ive put on bibs because thats crazy to track, but its a lot of hours and miles.

flat lock seams are smoother- they lie down more than traditional seams. The Black Bibs may have both regular and flat lock, I am really not sure. My only point in mentioning that was that it is something that some mention as a feature, but I certainly havent cared about it.

I think that the thickness matters just as much as, or more than, how many layers of varying density there is. Some like riding on thick plush pads and others like riding on thin pads.
I also think that the number of varying densities is a bit of a marketing misdirection. Oh they have 3 layers, but we have 4 layers. Its like blades on a razor.
A dense 10mm pad would be preferable to an 8 layer multidensity 90mm pad. Extreme example, but its meant to be for visual.
Makes sense. Sounds like you feel the pad on the BlackBibs is good even if only two layer. Do you have the basic ones, or the Ultimate or whatever with the upgraded chamois?

I think I see what the flatlock is. The seams are a lot more visual on the BlackBibs than others. I don't really care about that.

Sounds like I am between trying the Przewalski or the BlackBibs (Sponeed is an option, too, as I use their shorts). All are in a comparable price point, but I do get free shipping and returns on the Amazon stuff.
Old 09-24-20, 05:56 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Makes sense. Sounds like you feel the pad on the BlackBibs is good even if only two layer. Do you have the basic ones, or the Ultimate or whatever with the upgraded chamois?

I think I see what the flatlock is. The seams are a lot more visual on the BlackBibs than others. I don't really care about that.

Sounds like I am between trying the Przewalski or the BlackBibs (Sponeed is an option, too, as I use their shorts). All are in a comparable price point, but I do get free shipping and returns on the Amazon stuff.
I know this wasn't directed at me, but if you don't mind, I'll answer as well since my experience is similar. I have 5 pair of regular Black Bibs in rotation, with weekday rides at 2hrs, weekends at 4hrs, and recent centuries completed in the bibs without any pain or discomfort. I'd call the pad good, if not great, but definitely more than sufficient for what you are looking for. The seams do not create any discomfort either, and I like the fit more than anything else I've tried. I am getting ready to purchase a pair of the Przewalski as well, since I also have Prime and I'd like to try the blue bibs rather than paying for the premium blue bibs from BB, in case I'm not fond of the color.
Likes For str8jakett:
Old 09-24-20, 06:59 AM
am0n

Originally Posted by str8jakett
I know this wasn't directed at me, but if you don't mind, I'll answer as well since my experience is similar. I have 5 pair of regular Black Bibs in rotation, with weekday rides at 2hrs, weekends at 4hrs, and recent centuries completed in the bibs without any pain or discomfort. I'd call the pad good, if not great, but definitely more than sufficient for what you are looking for. The seams do not create any discomfort either, and I like the fit more than anything else I've tried. I am getting ready to purchase a pair of the Przewalski as well, since I also have Prime and I'd like to try the blue bibs rather than paying for the premium blue bibs from BB, in case I'm not fond of the color.
Thanks. Keep me posted (PM is fine) as to how you feel about the Przewalskis. I'm not in a rush to buy just yet (trying to lose some weight first), but I'd like to get a few options on the table in case one or two don't fit well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.