Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Knee bummer

Old 09-23-20, 06:47 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Knee bummer

A confluence of particularly good circumstances with a big clunky monkey wrench thrown in for this upcoming weekend.

My wife is having a girls trip into the mountains. Mother in law has both babies. I'm home alone all weekend, I don't even have to wear pants. This never happens, I usually just squeeze in what I can.

I was thinking about a century followed by a big mountain bike ride. Or explore a new cliff I discovered then a big gravel ride. Or some way finding a way to go on a decent ride on all 4 bikes in two days. Road, mountain, vintage, and gravel.

I woke up Monday with a sore knee for no reason. Poor mobility, stiff, clunking. Now, Wednesday, it's a little less sore. Crossing my fingers it'll be well enough to ride, even with a brace.

This is a known meniscus problem that has never given me a minute of trouble on the bike. Not looking for internet docs, just bummed.

Yardwork?
Ugh.
Old 09-25-20, 02:59 PM
blakcloud

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Hopefully today is a better day and you can start planning for your ride tomorrow morning. You might have to cut back a little on your goals but that is part of cycling. Good luck.
Old 09-25-20, 03:48 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Man plans, God laughs.
Old 09-25-20, 04:31 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Drugs are your friends.

Vitamin I can work wonders.

Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 09-25-20, 06:16 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
One common problem with cycling is knee cap tracking. I occasionally get a sore knee. When I do, there is one exercise I like. I sit on the edge of my bed and hang my feet over the side. Then I slowly raise my foot until my lower leg is parallel to the ground. That's it - easy and no weights required. What you're doing is working the support muscles that keep the kneecap tracking properly. Sometimes it may help to use your hand to make sure the kneecap it moving the way it should, but for the most part it's just an exercise in holding your knee squarely as you raise and lower your feet. If you do this a few times on days preceeding rides, it might help surprisingly.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 09-25-20, 07:28 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Fingers and toes crossed for good luck
Old 09-28-20, 06:10 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Spent the day rock climbing on Saturday. A little pain hiking in but ok on the way out. Great day actually.

Easy 35 miler on the Spectrum for Sunday. I felt strong and was done by 10. But holy cow, by mid afternoon just lounging around it hurt. I've been pretty hobbled all day today unfortunately.

Thursday, I finally will be active on my insurance. Crazy policy is that you get coverage on the 1st after your first month. That can be up to 7 weeks uninsured while working. Stupid policy. Good news is that a perk of the new employer is free MRI and CT. I guess I'll be using it sooner than later.
Old 09-28-20, 07:49 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
Cortisone shot. Good enuff for the NFL,

seriously, I would see saw bones before you do more damage,

or if you don't care then Vitamin M (Motrin)

hot bath, maybe some useless Epsom salts, Atomic Balm,

and a Swedish masseuse named Helga.
Old 09-29-20, 08:44 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
My right knee is a bit of a problem and has been for some time . I have a bubble of fluid from an irritated bursa that looks like an extra knee cap and I have had it drained many times and it just keeps coming back so I just leave it. The Ortho guy says it is caused by irritation somewhere and it could be dealt with surgically but no guarantees , it could still come back. Recently when I do my fast walking in the morning I feel a bit of pain right under the knee cap . This is only when I am walking , never when riding. I did 40 miles on Sunday with no pain at all. I have a virtual Dr.'s visit Friday and I will mention it. I need to get my 3 month blood panel done for an existing health issue that is not related. I have been putting off the whole surgery thing for a few years and I think he will probably recommend a visit to the orthropod. Maybe an MRI or something, the last one showed nothing and the meniscus was actually good for my age (65). I have always been on the thin side 6' 1" and 155 lbs. and I don't run , ever! I just ride my bike about 50 miles a week. I take ibuprofen when life throws me aches or pain, the stuff is great . Fortunately I don't have to take it very often. Joe
Old 09-30-20, 05:56 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 444 Posts
My knees were shot at age 57, after 3 surgeries for torn meniscus, so I gave up cycling. At age 64, I got both knees replaced. At age 65, I started cycling again. After a little over 2 years, I've ridden over 9,000 miles, got my weight as low as ever -134- and have the fitness I'd expect for being 10 years older. There is hope.
Old 09-30-20, 08:34 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
i just heard a lady on the radio say that exercise is the best thing for a bum knee wtf?
Old 10-01-20, 11:26 AM
Jrak2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycling can be good for knees!

I had a torn meniscus of the left knee and was scheduled for surgery. My orthopedist, one of the best in the country, required that I do either physical therapy for 6 months or a recumbent bicycle for 6 months following surgery. I had to sign a statement confirming my decision. I chose the recumbent bicycle because my apartment complex has a gym with one. I started doing the therapy a month before the operation which was canceled following the unexpected passing of my wife. I used the stationary bicycle everyday to work out some of my grief and started noticing that it was feeling better month by month. In less than a year, I had no knee pain and no need for the operation. That was 7 years ago. Some of the latest research on meniscus surgery indicates that physical therapy is as effective to the surgery.
Old 10-01-20, 11:31 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
My sister-in-law tore her meniscus. Had it repaired through surgery & all seemed better for a while until it tore again. She eventually had to have a meniscus transplant from an organ donor.
Old 10-04-20, 04:22 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Some good information contained here.

Full disclosure, I am a nurse who works in surgery. I'm no stranger to the procedure or patho. I recently switched hospital systems and my insurance is not in network for the guys and gals I've seen in action. The doc I chose was based on a single meeting at a completely non medical happenstance. That and he doesn't roll with an entourage (still getting bills from my youngest baby, the surgical assist was not employed by the doc, so he's trying to bill separately, 14 months later).

My knee feels a ton better today. It did about this time last week and a pretty easy 32 mile ride ruined the rest of the week. I've gone rock climbing thrice this week, heavy packs, walking, and agile movements beyond my flexibility haven't hurt. Intentionally staying home today.

I'm actually am beginning to think badly strained a hamstring or ITB that caused misalignment up front that gave me meniscus pain until the business in the back calmed down. Best part about this, is that it pretty much confirms I'm old, since it happened in my sleep.

Got an appointment soon so I'll hopefully learn a little more then.