Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Noisy drivetrain. Where does the noise come from?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-20, 04:19 AM
nico.fiaba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone. I'm facing a very upsetting problem with my aluminium gravel bike. After a bumpy ride in the wood I started feeling a ticking/clicking coming from the bottom bracket or crankset. Since then I replaced in order the following components, trying to isolate the problem: Rear wheel, chain, crankset, bottom bracket, rear derailleur and cassette. The problem is still there. The noise/feeling is not so evident, but for my standards sure it is. You can feel that the chain is not moving 100% smoothly but I can't understand the source of this problem. Rear derailleur is perfectly adjusted. Another hint could be that the problem shows itself only on the road, you can't feel anything wrong on a repair stand (and this is the main reason why I've not gone to a bike shop yet). The bumpy feeling on the pedals got even worse when I replaced the cassette. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-25-20, 04:59 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Try swapping out your pedals for a known-quiet pair. Clean and grease the male and female threads. Ensure that your chainring fasteners are secure.
Old 09-25-20, 05:03 AM
nico.fiaba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I replaced pedals also, with a new pair. Problem is not there.. crankset is solid and has no play at all.
Should I look for cracks in the frame?
Old 09-25-20, 06:31 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Have the shop check the derailleur hanger alignment.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 09-26-20, 12:54 PM
wolfpack95

Bikes: Felt ZA

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’ve had noises that I thought were coming from bottom bracket (suspected due to age and lack of service). Turned out to be from headset. Seat and shoes have also squeaked. Good luck, noises can be tough to find.
Old 09-26-20, 01:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by nico.fiaba
.......................... you can't feel anything wrong on a repair stand (and this is the main reason why I've not gone to a bike shop yet). The bumpy feeling on the pedals got even worse when I replaced the cassette. Thanks everyone.
You replaced the cassette for the noise of for something else? Was all the other stuff done for the noise or for other?

Cassette from what size/type to what size/type?

Does this happen mainly in the small front small back combo? It's just the rollers of the chain trying to engage the cogs and bumping on the teeth as it engages. Actually normal and I'll feel that sometimes on smooth pavement when quiet and all is well with the world moments.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-26-20 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-26-20, 01:45 PM
nico.fiaba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I replaced the cassette with a new one, but identical (9 speed 12-36 Alivio). That feeling is stronger with mid gears. It's different from the normal feeling/sound of the chain engaging in the cogs teeth. In fact it's quite irregular, not so regular as the noise you mentioned.
Old 09-26-20, 01:50 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by nico.fiaba
the problem shows itself only on the road, you can't feel anything wrong on a repair stand (and this is the main reason why I've not gone to a bike shop yet).
Shops see this kind of stuff all the time, and they often have to ride the customer's bike to diagnose a noise or other problem. Don't let that stop you from taking it in; it's much easier to diagnose in person than online.

Other things to investigate: Does the noise happen when both sitting and standing? Is it always on the downstroke? Which side?

Last edited by Rolla; 09-26-20 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-26-20, 04:25 PM
wolfpack95

Bikes: Felt ZA

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you looked the frame over? I had a frame break at the chainstay on the drive side so basically the chain was helping hold my bike together. It was subtle and have no idea how long I rode like that.