Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

North Carolina town about to outlaw bicycle riding

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Old 10-12-11, 05:58 PM
serotta

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts

Not exactly, but Weddington, NC town councilman, Dan Barry, is placing an item on the agenda for discussion.
The proposed new ordinance would make it illegal to ride a bicycle on Weddington, NC roads between the hours of 6:30 and 9 AM Monday thru Friday.
The thoughtful Mr. Barry is also running for a seat in the NC general assembly this election cycle.

If you would like to contact Mr. Barry, here is the pertinent information:

Daniel Barry, Mayor Pro Tem
danielbarry(AT)townofweddington.com
Old 10-13-11, 07:31 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
(Edited out some of my earlier P&R)

I love how these "conservatives" always want to get the government out of our lives, yet constantly find new ways to intrude.

edit: what's the over/under on him living in a gated community?
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Last edited by Ex Pres; 11-18-11 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-13-11, 10:45 AM
jasonball
Auburn Fan

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what are the local shops or cycling groups near by doing about this news
Old 10-13-11, 11:03 AM
serotta

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

While he (Barry) lives in an upscale community to most, it's actually slightly above average for the Weddington town limits. No gates, but a gated wannabee!

The cycling advocacy groups in the area have already reached several thousand residents in the vicinity as of this morning. Not a bad response since I just got the email out yesterday.
Old 10-13-11, 08:04 PM
Looper1477

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am curious as to his logic. Is it because he is concerned about bicyclists safety during the morning rush hour? I am guessing that is not it as the population according to the town website is only 11,000.

Serotta, I wish you success in beating back this ridiculous proposal as although I have never been there, I am guessing Weddington is a great place to ride a bike as much of northern South Carolina and so much of NC is. Best of luck to you and the advocacy groups!!
Old 10-14-11, 10:20 AM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would like to understand his motivation as well. Let us know if you get any more info. I searched the town council meeting documents and did not see anything

-Gary
Old 10-14-11, 10:42 AM
serotta

The only comment I have from Mr. Barry is a short synopsis third hand through one of our local cycling advocates that took the time to talk with him yesterday. I have been out of town and busy so haven't had the time to touch base with Mr. Barry yet.

Barry's thought process was summarized for me below:

" It is clear to most who understand the area that the roads are under developed for the current amount of vehicle and bicycle traffic that use them. Where isn't this an issue? Recent interactions between motorists and cyclists have generated a lot of comments to his office and he is seeking a solution to the over crowding. His "keep them off the road" approach may not have been the best start but then again, it's got us talking. Since the meeting, Mr. Barry admits that an ordinance is unlikely because riding a bicycle is a right in the US, not a privilege."
Old 10-14-11, 10:48 AM
serotta

Gary, There was no discussion in the council meeting, only the suggestion that it be added to subsequent agendas for discussion (I found it in the minutes). The thought process is in it's infancy, but we need to step forward now to minimize the confrontations between cyclists and motorists so altercations can't be blown out of proportion and used to influence the votes of the other council members, IF, it ever comes to a vote.
Old 10-14-11, 11:00 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
Well, I guess it got his name out there during an election cycle, so that's a win for him.

Old 10-14-11, 05:51 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by serotta
Gary, There was no discussion in the council meeting, only the suggestion that it be added to subsequent agendas for discussion (I found it in the minutes). The thought process is in it's infancy, but we need to step forward now to minimize the confrontations between cyclists and motorists so altercations can't be blown out of proportion and used to influence the votes of the other council members, IF, it ever comes to a vote.
The trouble sometimes is that people on both sides are reacting to anecdotal reports of confrontations. I hope they analyze this issue thoroughly before they do something that polarizes everybody. I looked around town with Google street view and it seems that Weddington is suffering the same pain as towns surrounding the Triangle - much growth, but even more traffic.

-G
Old 10-18-11, 08:54 AM
serotta

One of our Mayoral candidates has a great sense of humor:

https://www.walkerdavidson.com/recreational-cycling/
Old 10-18-11, 09:59 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by serotta
One of our Mayoral candidates has a great sense of humor:

https://www.walkerdavidson.com/recreational-cycling/
linky no worky - edit: I can't even get his website to pull up right now, so it may work later
edit2: now it links to a blank page. getting worse. did he drop out of the race?
edit3 (Wed): working this morning
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Last edited by Ex Pres; 10-19-11 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-19-11, 04:56 AM
skinnysanta

Bikes: 1989 Panasonic DX2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've lived in the area for 38 years and recognize the ever increasing problem of cycling during the rush hours in and around Weddington. My wife drives through there every morning to work and has complained to me (a cyclist) that there are a number of cyclist riding on highway 84, a busy two lane road into Weddington without lights or visible riding outfits. They are a danger to themselves and a hazard to motorist so there is a real problem that needs to be resolved. Some cyclist are more considerate and make themselves more visible and less of a traffic hazard but it is still a highly congested area especially during the rush hours. As I cyclist with some common sense I won't put myself into a hazard zone like this if I don't have to but some feel that just because they have a right to cycle in this area at peak traffic that people must respect them and watch out for them. But, as we all know it doesn't always work out that way.

Is a ban a proper thing to do? No, but some type of public awareness effort should be undertaken before someone else gets killed just trying to reach work or home on their bike. Union County NC is a haven for cyclist especially in the southwest corner of the county where I live. It's got great roads for cyclists, fairly respectful motorist at times other than the rush hours and is a great place to live. Just my .02 from living and riding here.
Old 10-19-11, 05:40 AM
serotta

Ex Pres,

Works for me this morning.
Nah, Walker's still in the race. There's a candidate forum Thursday night for all the Weddington candidates for office.

SS,

I've been meaning to do a personal traffic control study of the two or three "main" arteries in Weddington during those hours. Thanks for the input from the better half. We've probably run across each other, I've been living and riding here since 1970.
Old 10-19-11, 06:57 PM
skinnysanta

Bikes: 1989 Panasonic DX2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lived in Weddington in 73 before incorporation. We lived in Hunting Creek Estates as it was called back then. No other neighborhoods than that one for a while. I've been in Wesley Chapel since 79 and currently ride the roads of SW Union Co. Maybe I'll see you on the road some day. I've been out of action with broken ribs since Labor Day but ready to get back to riding again.
Old 11-15-11, 01:47 PM
Thomas Brock

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been nearly a month...Any movement on this?

Mr. Barry is running for US House in the 8th District against Congressman Larry Kissell. His campaign site is here: https://www.electdanbarry.com/index.htm.

It seems dangerous to me for a fellow whose first reaction to possible "overcrowding" of streets is banning bicyclists to be in the US House of Representatives.
Old 11-15-11, 08:17 PM
K&K_Dad
Schleckaholic

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find this very interesting considering NC's stance on cycling as a whole. First to 'share the roads' ect I believe. Is it even possible to ban cycling this way considering that the general statute gives cyclists(any) the same rights and provisions as a motor vehicle. I'm very curious.

We all know that when we set out in the morning that we take chances that others do not and we prepare for the worst and hope for the best. It's just the nature of the beast. But I have consciously chosen to be on my bike. If I was told I couldn't ride during those times I probably would quit riding. What about the people who commute to work, school ect. By depriving them of their transportation does he intend to create a better city transit system. You can't force someone to buy a car because you don't want them to ride a bike any more than you can force the homeless man to pick up a hammer and start building his own.

utter rediculishiousness. nuff said.
Old 11-16-11, 04:16 AM
serotta

No conclusive news at this point.

Developments:

Walker Davidson won the Mayoral race in the town.

Barry is still running for the State seat, but has made no more comments about bicycles on town streets. He probably checked the legal aspects and learned it would be a difficult path to follow. I'm sure he hopes it will just blow away before the elections.