Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2020 Trek FX2 disc opinions; vs FX3

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 01-22-20, 09:14 AM
Zzrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Getting back into riding; haven't riden in 20 years (I'm 53). Last bikes were a Cannondale R800 and Specialized Rockhopper.

Wife and I are now looking at hybrids for mostly road and paved trail riding, and would like some capacity for unpaved hardpack trails.

I'm really liking the Trek FX line but I'm in a quandry over the FX2 vs FX3. I'm aware of the specification differences between the two and the biggest difference to my eye is the carbon fork on the 3. But then I like the seat, triple chainring, and slightly larger tires of 2 better.

Would like to hear from any 2020 FX2 owners - do you wish you had gotten the 3 instead? What's your opinion of the FX2?
Old 01-22-20, 06:45 PM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
i’ve never ridden a bike with an aluminum fork, so i have no idea what kind of impact that has on ride.

i’ve ridden the 2020 fx 3. it feels great. i was on road, not trails. the coolest feature is the 2x drivetrain. so if you’re not into that, i’d make sure that fork makes a significant difference before shelling out $170 for it.

sorry to give my opinion on the 3 when you asked for opinions on the 2. was the only way i could talk.

enjoy whichever you choose. the fx line are nice bikes.
Old 01-22-20, 08:02 PM
denada

ohhh, or you could get a 2019 fx 3. it has a carbon fork and the traditional 3x drivetrain. with the '19 fx 3 you get the isozone handlebar and grips, which are more comfortable than i would have imagined could matter. and you get a step up in components.

yeah, it has the saddle and thinner tires you don't like. the tires you like on the the fx 2 cost $30 and it takes about 10 minutes to swap them out (if your knees aren't into changing tires, have them do it for you gratis at the shop when they're "setting it up for you"). if you didn't get used to the h1 saddle -- which personally i love -- that's the kind of thing people often don't keep stock. you would be giving up internal cable routing.

i bet you can get it same price if not cheaper than a 2020 fx 2. the sales on trek's website are not true bottom prices. if you find one in stock at a local bike shop, you'd be buying last year's model in february. that's a situation were the listed price on a bike is very negotiable.

Last edited by denada; 01-22-20 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-22-20, 08:26 PM
SayWatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I did a short test ride on an fx-2 before I bought my fx-3. The fx3 most definitely handled significantly better on the test rides. I also liked the gearing of the fx3 better. That said there both good bikes. If you have the opportunity test ride them both do it.
Old 01-26-20, 12:18 AM
denada

fx 1 has a steel fork, 35mm tires, and the sport saddle you like in the fx 2. far as i know, steel gives a smoother ride than aluminum at the cost of weight. plus it comes in that sick ion yellow color.

still, i think 2019 fx 3 is your winner. saw it at a bike shop for $639 usd today. at sticker, $10 more than the 2020 fx 2.

boy i sure hope you come back and let us know what you pick.

Last edited by denada; 01-26-20 at 12:27 AM.