Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question for users of chain quick/missing links

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Question for users of chain quick/missing links

Old 01-21-20, 05:26 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
I only carry quick links in my saddlebag for the incredibly small chance I break my chain while riding (hasn't happened yet). So in this instance, cost is a factor as an emergency repair item, where you're really only talking about installing and not removing (unless it's the original quicklink that broke and which would have come with the chain anyway if you do this). Otherwise I peen and install my campy/campagnolo chain at home with the pin that it comes with.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-21-20, 05:35 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
a wire coathanger inserted between the pins works in a pinch
Old 01-21-20, 05:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by redlude97
a wire coathanger inserted between the pins works in a pinch
Up there with duct tape and zip ties as things to wedge in your jersey's back pocket.
Old 01-21-20, 05:50 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
those links all work fine, but are far more difficult to remove without tools, than a Wippermann link.

https://youtu.be/7kWxnLBmNPs
All good with me. I have the tool. Again, these are my choices. What I can afford. They work as good as any.
Old 01-21-20, 05:57 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-21-20, 06:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by woodcraft

And the tin of Skoal in the middle pocket is priceless.
Old 01-21-20, 06:12 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
All good with me. I have the tool. Again, these are my choices. What I can afford. They work as good as any.
I'm just explaining the difference between Wippermann links, and the rest of them.

For 8 + 10 speed bikes I use Wippermann chains, but 11 speed bikes use Dura-Ace.
Old 01-21-20, 06:18 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene

And the tin of Skoal in the middle pocket is priceless.

That's the duct tape...
Old 01-22-20, 03:01 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You don't really need any special pliers for them. To remove, just use a regular pair of pliers and get enough slack so that you can squeeze opposite corners of the link - they pop right off.
I’ve been able to open them by hand no problem. Last time it happened was with a 9spd chain, and granted 11s might be different.
Old 01-22-20, 03:03 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
That's the duct tape...
Presumably you carry the WD40 in a bottle cage.
Old 01-22-20, 03:55 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Leinster
I’ve been able to open them by hand no problem. Last time it happened was with a 9spd chain, and granted 11s might be different.
SRAM 10+11spd links “lock” on, 9spd and under are simple slip fit.

Powerlock vs Powerlink
Old 01-22-20, 07:03 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Hi all,

I was wondering what kind of quick/missing links you guys were using? After doing some research, it seems like the Wippermann Connex Link is one of the best, but I can't find it where I live (not on Amazon either). There are a tons of cheap Chinese ones, however. Did some of you try one of these? If so, how was your experience?
I use KMC reusable missing links.

They're currently $9.44/6 for Campagnolo C10 chains ($1.57 each), although I picked up three cards on sale for $2 each $(0.33 per link) on my last order which will get me through my next 80,000 miles.

Non-Campagnolo 10 speed links are $5.99 / 6 ($1 each), 11 speed $30 / 4 ($7.50 each), and 12 speed $14.99/2 ($7.50 each).

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-22-20 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-22-20, 08:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I tried a Wipperman link on a non-Connex chain just once-- and it's the only link I've ever had fail. I cannot justify the cost when I'm using $15 FSA or SRAM 11-speed chains that come with quick links, and last every bit as long as Connex.

To all of the "I already own pliers" crowd: sure, a lot of items can be used as a hammer as well. But none work quite as well as a hammer. I bought my pair of link pliers for $6. The tool to take the spider off of my Rotor cranks was $30, and I've used it twice.
Old 01-22-20, 10:10 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I tried a Wipperman link on a non-Connex chain just once-- and it's the only link I've ever had fail.
We are both high mileage cyclist, but I've never had an issue with Connex links

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
To all of the "I already own pliers" crowd: sure, a lot of items can be used as a hammer as well. But none work quite as well as a hammer. I bought my pair of link pliers for $6. The tool to take the spider off of my Rotor cranks was $30, and I've used it twice.
+1

The right tool for the job doesn't cost a fortune. Why worry about **** like this?
Old 01-22-20, 11:20 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I don't buy a tool if I can replace it with a technique. I've got no use for third hand tools, for instance.

Best way to open a quick link without a tool IMO: make a triangle with it on the big ring, use something, anything, to tap the side of the link.

If the tool is around I'll use it, but it's not so much easier I'd bother getting one for myself.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 01-23-20, 05:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Do you guys pull out the SlapChop™ when you make salsa? I don't. I have the knife and the knife skills to plow through onions, peppers, herbs, etc with little problem, so why add the clutter of a SlapChop™ to my kitchen?

Similarly, concern about the cost of a link tool hasn't kept me from buying one. Instead, it's a complete lack of concern about the functionality that has kept me from buying one. I simply don't need it - having it would add zero functionality to my toolbox - and it would only add a marginal amount of convenience considering the frequency of use and the ease of the existing alternative. If I worked at a shop and had a parade of bikes through the door? Sure. But I don't, so I don't... but don't let that keep you from SlapChopping.
Old 01-23-20, 06:58 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Do you guys pull out the SlapChop when you make salsa? I don't. I have the knife and the knife skills to plow through onions, peppers, herbs, etc with little problem, so why add the clutter of a SlapChop™ to my kitchen?

Similarly, concern about the cost of a link tool hasn't kept me from buying one. Instead, it's a complete lack of concern about the functionality that has kept me from buying one. I simply don't need it - having it would add zero functionality to my toolbox - and it would only add a marginal amount of convenience considering the frequency of use and the ease of the existing alternative. If I worked at a shop and had a parade of bikes through the door? Sure. But I don't, so I don't... but don't let that keep you from SlapChopping.
Love the trademark superscript!

I guess people are doing this to save some time & effort (humanity is getting lazy you know!). I ended up buying link pliers on Amazon for cheap. It came with a chain checker tool as well. Oh well, new tools in my toolbox!

I'll wait to need a new chain, and buy the Connex 11S.

Last edited by eduskator; 01-23-20 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-25-20, 12:25 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I use Wipperman Connex by far easier to use than Shimano quick link. I tried the Shimano QL as I use Shimano chains exclusively and they are a pain to get off and on. The Wipperman is a snap and easy to take take chain off bike and clean in mineral spirits jar. The Wipperman is pricey I think I paid about $25 for it but I use the one link for 2 chains. I am pretty easy on the drive train and get 5-6000 miles on a chain before any real stretch, then I replace chain use same link for the next chain. That is not a bad price for miles and the Wipperman far exceeds anything I have seen or used. I guess if you go through a chain in 2000 miles then maybe but I have never had a chain go less than 5000 miles and I measure with a steel machinist ruler.
Old 01-28-20, 10:52 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
7000 plus miles last year on Connex chain with Connex link. Already have 540 miles this year so far added to that, not a hint of an issue.
Old 01-28-20, 10:59 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by jadocs
7000 plus miles last year on Connex chain with Connex link. Already have 540 miles this year so far added to that, not a hint of an issue.
I've never had an issue with Connex links either. I had a 10spd Connex link that I used for about 30k miles, with Shimano chains.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-28-20, 11:23 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I carry a KMC quick link in the saddle bag for road repairs. I always carry one 10-spd and one 11-spd link just in case I swap the saddle bag between bikes, or to help a fellow rider, and I use the link that came with the chain during chain replacement. An extra quick link in the bag will help repair a broken/bent link on the road, even without needing a chain break tool (as long as it's an outside link, which is what I've typically seen). Practice how to open (and secure, which is the easier of the two) that quick link without the special pliers, since you probably won't have the pliers with you on the road. At home, I use the special pliers out of convenience. .