Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Warranty Question - and best advice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 10:36 PM
AmannamedRobert

Bikes: Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure where this belongs so I'll stick it here until someone says to move it to a better place for better answers. Thanks!!

I purchased a new bike while on an out of state trip when my old one started acting. I purchased this from a reputable (licensed) dealer and purchased a brand with what I thought would be a national warranty. Anyway - 1 month later my rear derailleur shifter will no longer up shift (the bike is a Specialized Diverge with Shimano derailleur's and shifters). The problem according to my local bike shop is the shifter (most probably a broken tooth in the shift mechanism). The bike shop got Shimano to cover the part as warranty - but I had to pay labor for the install. Is this normal? What options exist to consumers for warranty fraud like this (at least I believe this is warranty fraud).

Any advice you have would be appreciated. Thanks you!!
Old 05-16-16, 10:46 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
It's a scam, but it's a legal scam.

Paying for the labor is pretty normal for this type of warranty repair. It's not like an auto warranty where the manufacturer reimburses the dealer for warranty labor, so they can charge you for it.
Old 05-16-16, 10:49 PM
techsensei

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AmannamedRobert
The bike shop got Shimano to cover the part as warranty - but I had to pay labor for the install. Is this normal?
Yes.

What options exist to consumers for warranty fraud like this (at least I believe this is warranty fraud).
The warranty is spelled out in the owner's manual. If you did not receive a printed manual, it is on the manufacturer's site. The shop you purchased the bike from might waive the labor as a gesture of good will (or as part of their own new bike service agreement), but I wouldn't expect another shop ... even one that sold the same brand ... to do so.
Old 05-16-16, 10:49 PM
Vexxer

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contact shimano directly and ask them to reimburse you. I doubt they will, but it cant hurt to ask. You can always file a complaint with the BBB is they do not.

Warranty
Old 05-16-16, 10:57 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Unfortunately that's also what is specified under the warranty section of Specialized's website:
"The original owner shall pay all labor charges connected with the repair or replacement of all parts. Under no circumstances does the limited warranty include the cost of travel or shipment to and/or from an authorized Specialized dealer."
Old 05-18-16, 08:07 PM
sk0tt

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check your consumer protection laws in your area. In Australia you have rights under law beyond what the manufacturer claims.