Old 02-20-21, 04:38 PM
k0guz

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, 2016 REI Mazama hybrid, 2023 Tern D7i folding bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Metra Experiences

Has anyone taken their bike on the Metra or CTA subways? Experiences?
Old 02-21-21, 05:30 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 763 Posts
I've never taken a bike on Metra, but I used to be a daily rider until late 2019. At that time, they allowed a couple bikes per car during non-rush periods. They might have loosened that restriction during the pandemic, as they are running well below capacity (my nonscientific observation while waiting on my bike for trains to pass at crossings). Folders can go at any time, though you can't obstruct the aisle.

You will need a way to secure full-sized bikes, typically using bungie cords to hold them to the side facing seats present in one half of each car.
Old 02-22-21, 09:03 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Metra also has some new (well, refurbished actually) bike cars, where they have taken half of the lower-level seating area and made it a dedicated bike area. I am not sure what the limit is but based on the videos I've seen, it appears to hold quite a lot. These run on the Milwaukee North and West lines and possibly BNSF route too so not all lines have them yet.

+2 on the bungee cord method of securing bikes. Some conductors are sticklers about having the bike secured, some aren't. Best not to chance it. Be prepared.

Oh, a funny story.... I was at one of the suburban stations and a group of kids/teenagers with bikes showed up ready to board the next train. They decided to split up so no more than two would be boarding the same car. When the train arrived, some of the kids boarded with no problems, but at least a couple of them were turned away by the conductor. I didn't hear exactly why he wouldn't let them board, maybe they weren't old enough? But they were left there on the platform with their bikes as their friends rode away on the train without them.
Old 02-22-21, 10:09 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Oh, a funny story.... I was at one of the suburban stations and a group of kids/teenagers with bikes showed up ready to board the next train. They decided to split up so no more than two would be boarding the same car. When the train arrived, some of the kids boarded with no problems, but at least a couple of them were turned away by the conductor. I didn't hear exactly why he wouldn't let them board, maybe they weren't old enough? But they were left there on the platform with their bikes as their friends rode away on the train without them.
I'm guessing those kids' parents didn't think it was funny... <wink>