Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front Wheel Motor Electric Bikes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-24, 03:08 AM
Heat88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Is that really a good idea? It seems like a dangerous idea to me. Isn't it hard to steer? Maybe you throttle off while you're steering? What about the weight of the motor? Does that effect steering or control? There must be a good reason there aren't any front wheel drive motorcycles. But it works for cars just fine. So maybe I'm wrong.

Here's why front wheel drive on a motorcycle is a bad idea
Most of the physics are the same as a bicycle aren't they?

Last edited by Heat88; 04-01-24 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-01-24, 03:39 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat88
Is that really a good idea? It seems like a dangerous idea to me. Isn't it hard to steer? Maybe you throttle off while you're steering? What about the weight of the motor? Does that effect steering or control? There must be a good reason there aren't any front wheel drive motorcycles. But it works for cars just fine. So maybe I'm wrong.

Here's why front wheel drive on a motorcycle is a bad idea
Most of the physics are the same as a bicycle aren't they?
Motorcycles have more slack head tube angles and longer fork trail than bicycles, for stability at speed. But under front drive load, that trail works in reverse and can be unstable. Cars have the same thing, caster, and if you back up the car real fast and turn the wheel a bit and take your hands off, it will slam to the end of the steering travel, whereas going forward fast and doing the same thing, the steering will stably re-center. But on a bike, with less trail, front drive can work, if the bike geometry is right. They had some problems with front drive cars experiencing torque steer, before they figured out the reasons and designed that out (going to zero spindle offset). Bike front drive also gives several advantages; a) doesn't interfere with the regular bike drivetrain, and b) going up a steep dirt hill while powering and pedaling, you have 2-wheel drive on a 2-wheel vehicle, which can almost double the tractive effort to GVW ratio, meaning fantastic traction and climbing ability. (It only doesn't double because uphill there is more weight on the back tire so more tractive effort there.)

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-01-24 at 03:45 AM.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 04-01-24, 08:04 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat88
Is that really a good idea? It seems like a dangerous idea to me. Isn't it hard to steer? Maybe you throttle off while you're steering? What about the weight of the motor? Does that effect steering or control? There must be a good reason there aren't any front wheel drive motorcycles.
Actually there are - see VéloSoleX. But seriously, the weight of a front hub motor is low and close to the steering axis so its not terrible for stability, and you're in charge of the power - don't slam it on or off when you're turning.
Old 04-01-24, 08:12 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,223 Times in 2,368 Posts
Long before the current electric bike craze my employer bought some electric bicycles and scooters. The bikes were all front wheel drive. They pulled to the left (I think) when you applied power but you got used to that. It just felt weird but wasn't a problem.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-01-24, 09:08 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,018 Times in 2,683 Posts
It is old school or found on cheap kits. I wouldn't do it. Now that e-bikes are so ubiquitous and easy to get in quality and low quality options the kit stuff especially front wheel kits is just not really as needed.
Old 04-01-24, 11:05 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 403 Times in 278 Posts
Front hub motors are not a problem unless you use a very high powered motor and have throttle control. Two wheel drive can be a benefit. look at Grin Tech. They sell high quality units by several manufacturer's. They even manufacture some themselves.
Likes For Rick:
Old 04-01-24, 02:40 PM
Duragrouch

The VeloSoleX, commonly known as a Solex, is an early powered bicycle or moped, powered by an engine above the front wheel and driving it, so can also easily be used as a conventional bicycle. One is pictured in the opening minute of Three Days of the Condor during opening credits, ridden by Robert Redford. Since in continuous production since 1946, I'm sure millions have been produced and used.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A9loSoleX
Old 04-02-24, 05:06 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
I built a front hub motor bike for my wife 12 or 13 years ago and while I wouldn’t call it nimble it handles ok and she loves it.
I used a 350 watt motor. Don’t think I would want much more power up front.
The one caution I would add is that the axle must be adequately braced against rotation in the dropouts and dropouts should be regularly inspected.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 04-02-24, 10:19 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 826 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I built a front hub motor bike for my wife 12 or 13 years ago and while I wouldn’t call it nimble it handles ok and she loves it.
The one caution I would add is that the axle must be adequately braced against rotation in the dropouts and dropouts should be regularly inspected.
Agree: FME, a small front hub system is a blast both on road and off road (you need to apply weight to the front wheel for steep off road ascents). My daughter wanted an electric cruiser, so I converted my hardtail to one for her and she loves it;

I built one for her husband who is equally happy.
Old 04-02-24, 10:24 AM
2old

BTW, the second picture is before the wires were cleaned up on the cruiser. I needed to remove 30" of wire from both the motor to the controller and the throttle to the controller, then "package" them in a sheath.
Old 04-02-24, 05:27 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 137 Posts
I build a fat bike with 1000w front wheel motor. It didn't cause any traction issues, but was heavy and uncomfortable to maneuver at slow speeds.
Old 04-02-24, 11:53 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I hope the motors have some sort of torque arm, like used on coaster and drum brakes, and not relying on axle flats at dropout width to resist torque.
Old 04-03-24, 05:54 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I hope the motors have some sort of torque arm, like used on coaster and drum brakes, and not relying on axle flats at dropout width to resist torque.
You are absolutely correct. I made anti rotation mounting tabs for both sides of the wheel that fit over the axle flats and mount to the threaded bosses fore and aft of the dropout. I will grab a photo later.
Old 04-03-24, 08:23 AM
2old

The torque arm is visible on my daughter's cruiser; I need to add one on the blue beast.
Old 04-03-24, 09:57 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is old school or found on cheap kits. I wouldn't do it. Now that e-bikes are so ubiquitous and easy to get in quality and low quality options the kit stuff especially front wheel kits is just not really as needed.
Front wheel kits make more sense when you consider ease of conversion rather than desirability of FWD - there's no need to stock different hubs for different spacing and number of gears and freewheel/freehub that would be required for a rear wheel, because everything is 9/10 x 100 mm, no need to transfer freewheels or cassettes, no gear setup required. Of course that's changing, with more bikes having 15/20 x 100/110 mm front axles, and all that extra unsprung mass won't do the ride any good. Mid drive is the better option for many bikes, but that can be intimidating for users who don't have experience with the various crank and bbkt arrangements, switching to 1x gears. I've done a few mid drive conversions, currently working on a couple of RWD conversions, I would consider FWD on the tandem if I hadn't already bought a new hub for it, but maybe still. If I did fit one it would be geared and low power, so fairly small and light, because it's an assist, not a main power source.
Old 04-03-24, 12:02 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 403 Times in 278 Posts
Grinn Technologies has an all axle front motor that can be ordered to work on most all of the old and new axle types.

Last edited by Rick; 04-04-24 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-03-24, 04:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5797 Post(s)
Liked 2,615 Times in 1,452 Posts
There's no reason to not have front motor drive on a bike.

Some may object to how the added weight affects steering, but it's far less than using front b panniers which are common enough to challenge that objection.

As to motorcycles, the answer is obvious. Non-electric front wheel drive is problematic because there's no easy way to get power from a motor to a front wheel.

The reality is that there are design advantages to rear wheel drive E-bikes if starting from a blank page. OTOH there are significant front wheel drive advantages in terms of cost and simplicity, if adapting a pedal bike to E-bike.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-04-24, 12:56 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by FBinNY
There's no reason to not have front motor drive on a bike.

Some may object to how the added weight affects steering, but it's far less than using front b panniers which are common enough to challenge that objection.

As to motorcycles, the answer is obvious. Non-electric front wheel drive is problematic because there's no easy way to get power from a motor to a front wheel.

The reality is that there are design advantages to rear wheel drive E-bikes if starting from a blank page. OTOH there are significant front wheel drive advantages in terms of cost and simplicity, if adapting a pedal bike to E-bike.
There's a rare 2WD motorcycle, Rokon, lower speed and really fat tires, and runs engine power to the front wheel. Complicated, but I heard it's pretty unstoppable until the grade is so steep it's unstable. Electric hub drive is the killer app to get 2WD dirt motorbikes, whether gas or electric for the rear drive.

A local place has for years offered electric front wheels for Bromptons, popular because it's so easily switched between powered and standard wheels.
Likes For Duragrouch: